Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Got a few questions about a 94-95 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a few questions about a 94-95 Firebird

Hey guys, I don't come to this part of the forum very often, but I'm looking at a car to get me back and forth to work. It's a 94-95 Firebird, v6(need a gas saver and not another performance vehicle....yet), automatic transmission. First question is, the motor needs a transmission, is this a 4l60e or something else? I have no idea about the older Fbody cars. Also, anything I need to be aware of problem wise with this year model style car. The car has less than 100,000 and it looks to be in really good shape. Finally, when I finally decide to stop spending money on the truck, I would like to do an ls1 swap in the car. How much trouble would I be looking at, or would it be easier/cheaper to go with an Lt1/turbo setup? Which would reap the most benefits? Looks like I can get the car for around $1200, guy needs the money bad. Would this seem to be a fair price? I figure for that money, a v8 swap wouldn't be "too" expensive to do in the future. Thanks for any help guys.

Jeremy
Old 10-04-2004, 06:13 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You'll save a few bucks on insurance too. If the body is in good shape as you mention, then I think $1,200 bucks isn't too bad of a price. Since it needs a tranny, I'd try and talk the seller down a little if I were you.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
You'll save a few bucks on insurance too. If the body is in good shape as you mention, then I think $1,200 bucks isn't too bad of a price. Since it needs a tranny, I'd try and talk the seller down a little if I were you.
I'm trying to get him down to $1000. If not, I think I'll go with the $1200. No dents, scratches, just needs a good cleaning. I think I can get a good used tranny for the car cheap. I just have to find out which tranny it is. It will be nice to turn the truck into an all out race truck.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 AM
'Bird Director

Yeah, I'd definitely try for $1,000.

I'd try a junk yard for the transmission.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

The tranny is a 4l60e HOWEVER, it is not a v8 4l60e, it has a smaller bell housing , like 4 inches smaller. Your best bet if you dont already know www.Firebirdv6.com is a great recource for any Six cylender info the Admins are great one of which is the creater of HP tuners. But you can pick up a tranny there in the FS or post wanted Its probably one of your best shots for best deal. I sold my motor and tranny before my swap for about 800 with 50K miles on them. There are always people selling cheap cars and I wouldnt discount old posts in the FS section =) If I didnt say enough feel free to PM

Edit : 1500 would be a good price.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BuffJoeyD
The tranny is a 4l60e HOWEVER, it is not a v8 4l60e, it has a smaller bell housing , like 4 inches smaller. Your best bet if you dont already know www.Firebirdv6.com is a great recource for any Six cylender info the Admins are great one of which is the creater of HP tuners. But you can pick up a tranny there in the FS or post wanted Its probably one of your best shots for best deal. I sold my motor and tranny before my swap for about 800 with 50K miles on them. There are always people selling cheap cars and I wouldnt discount old posts in the FS section =) If I didnt say enough feel free to PM

Edit : 1500 would be a good price.
I really appreciate the reply. I have been lurking around here, and I finally got the info I needed on the tranny. Thanks for the link as well.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
'Bird Director

Isn't the 4L60E just a fully-electronic version of the 700-R4? The had the same issues between V6 and V8 cars. The bellhousing was different.