Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

99 trans am 4l60e trans dipstick stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 trans am 4l60e trans dipstick stuck!

My transmission fluid dipstick is stuck in the tube. It comes out about 12inches and then gets stuck. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Default pinched trans dipstick tube

Is this car new to you, or has it been in an accident? When I bought my car, the previous owner said it was side swiped but didn't share how far the damages went. Come to find out it was hit hard enough to pinch that transmission dipstick tube between the body and the motor. I had the exact opposite problem because my car didn't come with a transmission dipstick, and I couldn't get the new one in. That's how I found out about the kink.

Use a flashlight and follow the tube down to the transmission. Unfortunately, where mine was creased, I could only see it from under the car. I had a thread started a while ago if you want to see what I'm talking about. I had to replace my whole dipstick tube. I hope to everything holy that you don't have to go through that process, because I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. That was a royal pain to get at the bolt on the back of the head, and fishing the old tube out and the new one in.

(Sorry if this doesn't make sense, sending from my phone)
Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Bunkerbuster, welcome to LS1tech!

A crushed dip tube sounds feasible.

The correct tube is GM number 10244741 and the dipstick itself is 1256023.

The tube has a bolt to the rear of the head.

Nice lookin motor. Tell us about this car.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

I just got it. With some cussing and pulling with the force of 1000 suns, I managed it out.

I probably should have said this in my original post, but recently I dropped the tranny pan to check the fluid/routine maintenance. When replacing the fluid, I pulled out a dipstick that was tack welded and grinded down at a point (funny enough at the exact distance my new one pulls out, heh). It was rough coming out and thought maybe this is how it is supposed to be, and I made the decision to buy a new dipstick. Fast forwarding to my new dipstick, I see the end is curly q'd on the new one. The old one, the stick was flat on the end. Not thinking, I put the new one in and realized immediately it was more tough to slide in. OH well, I said, in it goes! After that I try to pull it out to no success. Fast forward to today, like I said, alot of pulling and I manage to get it out. The tip with the curly q has been straightened to a degree as a result of pulling so much.

The end game for me: Straighten the end of the dipstick completely out like the old stick was and roll with it. Like Dmjr228 already said, replacing the tube is a royal pain that I would like to avoid. Stuff being not right bothers me, but maybe I can deal with this one thing.

Prognosis: As you both said, it is probably a bent tube now that I think about it. A motor swap was done by the previous owner and I could definitely see the motor crushing the tube against something in the engine bay. (that sweet F body!)

Paul Bell, the motor is an 416 LS3, all forged internals, 9.5:1, aftermarket fuel system (72lbs), docile turbo cam, LT headers, borla adjustable exhaust Straight piped basically, built 4l60e for ~700hp, car mustang dyno'd 456hp. It is waiting for a power adder. I was told 200shot or 20psi was what the motor was built for. I am leaning towards wanting to go with a turbocharger with an adjustable boost controller/wideband/methanol.

Thanks for the replies!!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like a nice motor! I hope you'll become a regular and keep us informed.

Quick Reply: 99 trans am 4l60e trans dipstick stuck!