Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Why did you pick the bird?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Why did you pick the bird?

I was cleaning my car the other day and it just hit me that i managed to get my dream car, so young, i didnt know much about t/a's LS1's or anything when i bought it i just knew i liked how they looked. What made you guys buy your bird, what about it drew you in? Im just interested to see what everyones reasons are
Old 01-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, the one I bought just met the list of things I was looking for: an ls1 M6 with t-tops that was black, silver, or white. I really didn't want leather, but oh well. It didn't matter if it was a Z-28 formula, or a TA.

However, I will say that this is the 4th time I have looked at buying a bird. The first was an 81 TA back when I was 16, next was a 5speed 87 GTA when I was 18, then a 95 Ram Air formula about 6 years ago. Guess it was meant to be, lol
Old 01-23-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

i knew i need something with alot of speed and power. and my dream car is a bandit ta. i wasnt dead set on having a ta, but my first one was only 4200 bucks, so i couldnt pass that up. i had only been in the navy a few months and i needed a car anyway. so i got it. then i was looking at cars with a friend, and made him get a camaro, when i saw a formula at a dealer for 11k. with only 22k miles. now, im not a rich guy by no means, but i know a bargain when i see one. so i traded in my 96 with 140k, broken headlights, bad fuel pump, bald tires, ripped leather seat, cracked dask dimpled quarter panels, and i think there was some other stuff wrong, but the dealer never checked any of it...only the vin and miles...so i left the same day with a formula and i cant wait til i can get another one, which will most likely be a ceta or 30th
Old 01-23-2005, 08:08 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I didn't choose a Firebird, I chose a Trans Am ( DMNSPD & Action Jack ).

Honestly, my choice was something of a forced thing. I have always loved the Corvette. All time favorite car since I was into cars. It really got bad. Got to the point where I felt that modifying the car meant it was not really a Corvette any longer, and so I couldn't bring myself to do it. Yet, I knew that I'd want to make any car I had go faster, so I had to "settle" for something I liked but wouldn't mind modifying. Not to mention could afford. lol

(recently I've somewhat gotten over the whole modification thing, but only to a point. And I still get the urge to brutally torture people who take 'Vettes and turn them into drag cars. Talk about raping a car..... )

Here's where it gets a bit embarassing.... lol Round about the time I was starting to realize that I wanted to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on my 1st car (1970 Olds Ninety-Eight Royale Convertible), and that I'd want to do that to any car I owned, so it might as well be something a little more sporty (not that I didn't like my convertible). So I was kinda looking for a 442 or at least an old Cutlass. At the time, I was watching Knight Rider re-runs and so I though "well, an early 3rd Gen T/A would be kinda cool too if I can't find the Olds I want". And so it happened. Found an '84 T-Top, black with grey highlights and grey interior (always wanted a grey interior. lol). Fell in love. Couldn't get the cash in time so I had to keep looking, but knew that was what I wanted. Got a cream/gold colored '84 T-Top (*had* to be T-Top....probably the whole Knight Rider thing. lol) with a so-called "sport package". Loved it. Eventually saw a hard top GTA for sale and started to slowly fall for it, then wrecked my '84.

Later, a friend gave me a car sale book/mag and said "there's a lot of GTAs in there". Hoo boy. lol Well, I found one at a dealer - '88, hard top, black. Exactly what I wanted save for the tan interior that it had (ack, sick of seeing tan in black cars). Loved that car to absolute death. Was one bad *** ride. But wrecked it too.

After driving it around in a beat up state and getting a job with a long *** commute, the water pump exploded and I ditched it and got a '90 2-door Grand Prix. 6 cylinder/FWD. Ugh. :/

Then fell for the '97 Ram Air. Had to have one. But couldn't afford it. The '98s came out and I wasn't sure I liked them at first. But after I got the sales brochure from Pontiac I was hooked.

In '02 I went for it and pulled it off. Now one of my dream cars is sitting in my driveway (buried under snow at the moment. lol). And this time I did it right - after the GP got clipped by an Explorer, I replaced it with another GP. So now I have a beater to handle the mundane/dangerous/dirty/hauling work.

IM(NS)HO, the Pontiacs have always been FAR better looking. Ranging from way cool (1st Gen, early 2nd Gen) to sleek and sexy (3rd Gen), to ultra aggressive (LS1 4th Gen WS6). The Camaros have always been plain, boxy, and boring. Except for the 1st Gen, which was cool, and the 2nd Gen which was just ugly. Recently I have been coming 'round to the 4th Gen Camaros, but, they just don't do it for me. The flat sides, the ugly spoiler and tail lights, the sedan headlights on the LS1s..... just too plain and boring. Also, I once had an '88 IROC Z next to my '88 GTA in the shop where I was working. The ultimate Camaro was like a econo-box base model compared to my GTA. I was amazed at how cheap and crappy the interior was and how unequipped it was.

No offense meant to the Camaro guys.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

simple answer. the car is a chick magnet.it looks good,its fast and its not a mustang!Plus Ive always wanted one after I seen my first firehawk back in 96' when I could afford one I went out and got the first one I could find.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Teching In

My first car was an 88 IROC Camaro with a 350 T.P.I, but one day when i was driving, i saw the ram air hood on a WS6 trans am from a distance from oncoming traffic, and i knew then i had to have that car. The looks, the speed, everything. Its overall an amazing car.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smokey and The Bandit, Knight Rider. My mother had a 68 Firebird and my Aunt had a 79 Formula so thats all I knew when I was younger.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My cousin bought a 99 ws6 brand new, and ever since then, I wanted one.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

LS1+MuscleTradition+CamaroPopularity= Some reasons

Also i felt that the camaro is more girl car (jsut the look its very sleek not as aggressive (i kno there not bu most owners out here are girls that have Camaros) i love the aggressive look, and well its got the LS1
Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Two Words. Knight Rider.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't have any other choice, there wasn't a car out there I liked and it was in the middle of 2002 so I had to buy one.

The first dealer I called said they had what I wanted. A black T/A WS6 M6. I never drove a manual and bought it. My dad had to drive it off the lot and i learned how to shift over the weekend. The following monday I drove to work.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StavosWS6
I didn't have any other choice, there wasn't a car out there I liked and it was in the middle of 2002 so I had to buy one.

The first dealer I called said they had what I wanted. A black T/A WS6 M6. I never drove a manual and bought it. My dad had to drive it off the lot and i learned how to shift over the weekend. The following monday I drove to work.
Lol I had to do the same thing with my car. My buddy rove it home from the dealer and then when i finished it i learned how to drive stick going home from Worcester Mass. to My house in Newton.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

A long time ago I saw that commercial... It was dark and rainy. A T/A with that nasty looking ram air hood pulls up to the light behind another car (Porsche I think?) and pounces on it, litterally. Next think you know, the Bird is the only car at the light.

I have totally loved the look of these from the first time I saw them.

I didn't want an auto but the wife likes driving too sometimes and rather than have to go through umpteen clutches, an auto was deemed a consideration.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
I was cleaning my car the other day and it just hit me that i managed to get my dream car, so young, i didnt know much about t/a's LS1's or anything when i bought it i just knew i liked how they looked. What made you guys buy your bird, what about it drew you in? Im just interested to see what everyones reasons are

EASY: the best looking and funnest to drive car in my price range ($0 to $40,000).
Old 01-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Love the looks! I have since the 4 gen came out, this is my 4th, 2 lt1's and 2 ls1's. You just can not beat the look of the ws6. I had wanted one since smokey and the bandit and knight rider, Great car, I want to get another one!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Whew, I am glad I am not the only dork that has been in love with the TA since Smokey and the Bandit and Knight Rider...I actually went out and purchased the Smokey series on DVD and the First season of Knight Rider on DVD...it is so bad that when I drove home with my TA, my mom asked me if the car talked...of course it doesn't mom, but none the less she decided to name my car Kitty (because it is red, not black)
Old 01-25-2005, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

Well I originally started off wanting a 4th gen camaro ss. That was when i was 16 I barely started getting into cars and everything and well i just really loved the way the car looked . But when i was 17 I fell inlove with the looks and agressiveness of the Trans Am . My cousin got the camaro and well he never really took care of it. But after that whole comparing the two thing I knew what my dream car was. And while originally I didnt think id get one or could afford an LS1 I was extremely lucky and I guess you can say blessed to get it especially for 9,000 I will never forget the day my father asked me "If you can afford paying a loan get it " I went for it and while ive had my fair share of money issues I never regret it nothing can give u the satisfaction of being 18 and having a sports car that many dream of having and more so when your the one paying for it. I love my car and I dont see myself getting rid of it n e time soon.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:35 AM
9 Second Club

The Hood and the Power. Its a WS6.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Launching!

I liked the lines of the trans am better than the camaro, it looks meaner.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the outside and inside of the Firebird as well as the red lighting. Not to mention when I saw my 1st Firehawk (red LT1 formula of course) I wanted one of those cars. I also like having rare cars. So the time came and I ordered my 02 Hawk which happens to be my very first brand new car. I have always had used ones that were clean but none the less used. Why a formy? Everyone has a T/A

Quick Reply: Why did you pick the bird?