Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird SSA

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird SSA

I've been having trouble finding information on my car. Its a 1989 Firebird SSA it has a V6 2.8 liter. It also originated in Arizona not California. I would appreciate it very much if anyone could tell me more about this car.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:55 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

From the book "Pontiac Firebird 1967-2000 Photo History" by George W. Scala....

"The front view of a 1989 Firebird with the Sport Appearance Package. Looking like a Trans Am or GTA, only the rims, hood, and rear spoiler gave it away. 15-inch wheels, the regular Firebird rear spoiler and the plain flat hood came on this bird. Firebirds in the Los Angeles are had "Firebird XS" emblems on the front fender. The San Francisco/Sacramento zone had "Firebird SSA" emblems. These dropped to just the "Firebird" emblem later in this year.

This was on the RPO sheet as W68 in 1989. It was only available on the base Firebird.

Though my book doesn't mention it, I'm sure that it would have been entirely possible for the Phoenix area to be a part of the "San Francisco/Sacramento zone" too. That would only come into question if your 'bird was sold brand new in Arizona. GM did several "zone" versions of the third-gens it seems. I had an '88 Camaro Sport Coupe that was a zone vehicle for the Midwest, and was styled after the IROC. It was a "pre-RS" Camaro, and was used to test the market for the upcoming RS Camaro in 1989.

I also see that this is your first post on LS1tech....welcome!
Attached Thumbnails Firebird SSA-firebird_ssa_1.jpg   Firebird SSA-firebird_ssa_2.jpg  

Last edited by y2k_ta; 02-11-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anyone that could tell me y my car even after i put a new battery in my it the voltage gauge is still dropping to 8 i had the starter, alt, and battery checked and there all good so i don't know whats going on my car is a 1989 Firebird SSA? thank you to anyone that try's to help me out

Quick Reply: Firebird SSA