Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Driver's side front turn signal still broke.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side front turn signal still broke.

So ... I went ahead and replaced the front driver's side turn signal as per the instructions detailed here:

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...ht=turn+signal

This was a pretty big deal to me as I've never done anything like this before. I manged to get the totally melted old socket off and the new socket I got from the local AutoZone installed without too much difficulty. Actually, thats a lie. It was kind of a pain in the *** getting the melted socket off. But in the end, I managed to do it. I'm so proud .

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed to see that the damn light still didn't work! I tried two different bulbs, and still no joy. I know the switch works because the light indicator on the dash lights up, but doesn't blink. So I dunno what else could be the problem. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm gonna try one more thing before I throw in the towel and take her to the shop. I'm gonna try thoroughly cleaning the contacts with cleaner. I only did a couple sprays of cleaner when I installed the new socket. I'll go back in and do a more thorough job. Maybe I should also check the fuse box for a blown fuse or something too.

I have one question though ... how the hell do I stick the socket back into that hole of the turn signal lens so that it'll stay in there? I don't have the car up on jack stands, and my head is too big to stick underneath the nose of the car, so I'm basically trying to get the the socket back in there by feel. And since I don't know what the bottom of the turn signal lens even looks like, I'm having a hell of time trying to do this blind. When I pulled it out (it was actually a couple weeks ago when I did that ... so yea, I've been driving around with a busted turn signal for a while now), I remember I had to sort of turn the socket and then pull it out. I've been trying to do the reverse of what I did but having no luck. Can anybody help me out here too?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

check the wires, if there was enough heat to melt the socket, the wires probably fried somewhere back in the harness
Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

You shove it in and turn it till it grabs. I have had to change a few of em now cuz they keep dyeing. I stick my arm throught the lower vent thing and do it from there.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
check the wires, if there was enough heat to melt the socket, the wires probably fried somewhere back in the harness
maybe that's what happened to mine?? My drivers side turn signal works when it wants too... I have replaced the bulb many times but I believe it's the wiring...one minute I'll have the blinker, then next its out for good....

Do you happen to know the part number for the wiring harness for drivers side blinker??