Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

the bat wont stay charged...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the bat wont stay charged...

i have a 2001 ws6 ta... i have had the alt checked and it is good... have a new one that i swiched it out with and it still does not want to stay charged for more than a few hrs... i have no clue were to start i have had replaced the bat cables and the alt but it does not want to keep a charge... the bat was checked at auto zone and they sayed that it was good... i am all out of ideas... the alt reads close to 14.2 volts while it is running so i am lost ... thanks for all your help.... mark
Old 11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Well it sounds like a power draw that is greater that the battery minimum of .05 volts. the best way to test for this is with a digital multimeter (can get them at any local parts store or sears). It must read amps. Disconnect the battery and put the meter is line with it (red end of probe to cable wire and black end of probe to lug on battery). Set meter to amps and see if it reads more that 50 mily volts or .05 on display. then go to the fuse box in the side the car and start pulling fuse one buy one. if does on change then put fuse back. Once it changes then that is the place to start seeing what is connected to the fuse that is draining the power.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

k thanks for the help
Old 11-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wing Zero
Well it sounds like a power draw that is greater that the battery minimum of .05 volts. the best way to test for this is with a digital multimeter (can get them at any local parts store or sears). It must read amps. Disconnect the battery and put the meter is line with it (red end of probe to cable wire and black end of probe to lug on battery). Set meter to amps and see if it reads more that 50 mily volts or .05 on display. then go to the fuse box in the side the car and start pulling fuse one buy one. if does on change then put fuse back. Once it changes then that is the place to start seeing what is connected to the fuse that is draining the power.
that could not have been said any better

Quick Reply: the bat wont stay charged...