Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Header- Y-pipe Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header- Y-pipe Advice

I have a 2000 Trans am, and im looking into getting long tubes, pref. pacesetters and an ory put on it soon but ive run into a problem. Does a off road y pipe delete your cats? The mechanic shop told me that they can not take the cats off, that I would have to do it myself but I have no idea how to go about doing that. How is this going to work if the long tubes are installed the the cats are left on, is this even going to work?>
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greekey
I have a 2000 Trans am, and im looking into getting long tubes, pref. pacesetters and an ory put on it soon but ive run into a problem. Does a off road y pipe delete your cats? The mechanic shop told me that they can not take the cats off, that I would have to do it myself but I have no idea how to go about doing that. How is this going to work if the long tubes are installed the the cats are left on, is this even going to work?>
Stock cats have to be removed for LT's to go on. Any aftermarket Y pipe is an off road pipe reguardless if it has cats or not, unless the AM Y pipe keeps the cats in exactly the same stock location, and that ain't gonna happen with LT's. Any aftermarket system that moves the cats from the stock location is illegal. This is the same in all 50 states as its a federal statute. This is why the shop won't remove them for you - because for them its illegal to even remove a working cat.

However, as not all states specifically search for violations, depending on where you live you may get caught or you may not if you choose to go this route.
In any event, you will have to remove the cats yourself before any legit shops will do the installation work.

Last edited by Weezzer; 06-20-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Header- Y-pipe Advice