Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

WS6 Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WS6 Suspension Question

For a WS6 with stock suspension, what kind of sound would you hear if the rear suspension is pushed down to the maximum over a high incline bump? If no sound is emitted, how else could you tell when the springs have pushed all the way down?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
For a WS6 with stock suspension, what kind of sound would you hear if the rear suspension is pushed down to the maximum over a high incline bump? If no sound is emitted, how else could you tell when the springs have pushed all the way down?
A thud maybe? Depends on how quickly the suspension compresses. You will hit the bumps stops, so the springs will never be "all the way down".
Why do you ask?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for clarifying that, JD.

I'm curious because I've heard a single loud knock/tap from the rear when hitting a ditch or going over a sharp angled transition from flat ground to ramp. So far, I've only heard it when I had two additional passengers--one in front and one at back. The best I can describe the sound is like throwing a small stone against a wooden board and having it bounce off once. I have large Kicker amps that weigh about 60-70lbs sitting at the back, plus whatever other electronics that work with it. So I'm wondering if the weight from all this is causing the suspension to hit the bump stops, or if it's a sound equipment bouncing around.

How much weight does it take to press the rear suspension to the bump stops?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
Thanks for clarifying that, JD.

I'm curious because I've heard a single loud knock/tap from the rear when hitting a ditch or going over a sharp angled transition from flat ground to ramp. So far, I've only heard it when I had two additional passengers--one in front and one at back. The best I can describe the sound is like throwing a small stone against a wooden board and having it bounce off once. I have large Kicker amps that weigh about 60-70lbs sitting at the back, plus whatever other electronics that work with it. So I'm wondering if the weight from all this is causing the suspension to hit the bump stops, or if it's a sound equipment bouncing around.
It could be the y-pipe hitting the floor boards as well, check if it is loose at all. But this does sound like the car hitting the bump stops, since you have all the extra weight in the back.
How much weight does it take to press the rear suspension to the bump stops?
Im not sure.
But the stock spring rate is 114lbs/in. So in other words it would take 114lbs to compress one of the springs 1 inch, or 228lbs to compress it 2" etc etc.
You can actually go out and measure the distance from the bump stop to your axle to get an idea.
I'm sure you are wonder what you can do to help this too. IMO the biggest thing that would help would be good shocks (keep you from hitting the bump stops so hard, because unlike the stock shocks good ones will easily control the stock springs.)
Old 08-03-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You can actually go out and measure the distance from the bump stop to your axle to get an idea.

IMO the biggest thing that would help would be good shocks (keep you from hitting the bump stops so hard, because unlike the stock shocks good ones will easily control the stock springs.)
Hmm. Would the bump stop happen to be visible either of these pictures?

I've been under the car a few times, and I'm sure I looked at it without knowing what it was.

And you're right. I was told that my shocks were old, so they'll have to replaced sooner or later. At the same time, I was thinking about removing the amps. I hardly use them.

(Sorry about the size. This is only picture I have at the moment.) The system was described as "Kicker Comp Subs in a custom box, Kicker & Soundstream Amp’s." Typically, how would someone go about taking these amps out? Are there lots of electronics to unplug? Also, what are the chances that the T-top holders were taken out for this?

Thank you very much for the help.

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 08-03-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can see it barley in the first picture.
Heres a better pic:

Its the faded yellowish triangle like piece directly under the "u" in "installUniversity."
If you go to get new shocks don't bother getting OEM replacements or cheapo autozone ones, you probably wont even notice a difference. Its not just the shocks are worn, they are valved crappy from the factory in the first place. When the time comes give Sam Strano a call at Stranoparts.com (a sponsor here) and he will tell you everything you could possibly want to know about our suspension. I bought the Konis from him and all I can say is wow(ever driven a BMW M3? Yeah its kinda like that...)

Sorry Im not the guy to ask for car audio, but I assume you would have a bunch of crap to unplug for those amps.

Quick Reply: WS6 Suspension Question