Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Going to look at a White M6 2001 Formula today...What to watch out for?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^
Yeah thats why I'm so back and forth between things...

When it comes to power steering, i have NO reason to believe it needs to be completely replaced, its ATLEAST low on fluid but thats why it needs to go to a dealership. But i would atleast tell the guy he needs to come down on price for the cost and install of front tires & clutch. If he says no then i have NO problem walking. Fair is fair, and if he doesnt want to play that game i have no problem walking, no matter WHAT car we are talking about.

Unfortunatly i cant get to the car in time to get it inspected by the dealership today, I'll get off @ 5 and the mechanics at the dealership leave at 5, so i might take it this saturday to the dealership after i talk to the seller.

Thanks for the helps guys!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quickblue2

When it comes to power steering, i have NO reason to believe it needs to be completely replaced, its ATLEAST low on fluid but thats why it needs to go to a dealership.
Well first off...did you check the fluid or just asume it needs some? PS fluid doesnt just evaporate, so it had to go somewhere. So whats leaking? The pump, the lines or the steering rack? If its the rack then your talking major repairs (also that could explain why it pulls to the left.) Second, I asume you dont know an awful lot about LS1 f-bodies. The PS pumps are notorious for going out (or at least needing to be changed because they are making a noise.)
I have changed 3 PS pumps because of them whining (and I have only owned 6 LS1 F-bodies....not a good ratio.) So plan on it needing a pump.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

**Update**

I took the car to the Pontiac dealership to get an inspection done...

1. Powersteering is low, but not leaking
2. Needs front tires (i know this)
3. Front brakes need to be rebalanced & new pads ($350)

97Ramsst - The car was actually pulling to the right, and it was doing this because of the right front tire was VERY worn on the outside causing it to lean out (positive camber). No I'm not the biggest guru on the board lol, and thanks for the info on teh P/S. The only other thing is the clutch which is a timebomb (its original), but as i said, grabs good put has some throw to it.

The update is basically that i struck a deal with the guy on the car. I'll get it for 12k + he buys my POS corolla for 1k. And it IS a WS6.

So, let the flaming or the welcoming begin though I'll pick it up on Friday afternoon
Old 08-15-2008, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Mine's a 2001 white A4, got it from a member in our car club for 9k at his lot. It was stickered at 14,900 btw. It had 169k on it, now has 185k, still smokes the tires, even had it at 141 mph running a friend's 2008 Rousch on a deserted Nevada Highway one early morning going to work (had to shut it down before I hit him!) I love the car, want to repaint it and get the gay stripes off it. Congrats on your purchase. you should have a good base to build on (LS6 intake, 241 heads, etc.)
Old 08-16-2008, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

it's only a ws6 if the rpo code says it is.

I spent 6yrs waiting to buy my T/A. (waiting to afford it)
found one bone stock 99' with 68k on the clock. I payed less than $7k and so far dumped 2k into it. easily on a full exhaust and general maintenance.
if your paying 12k for an 01' with that list of general wear and tear then I'd make sure everything gets fixed first.
new brakes, tires, oil change, and any other issues it may have.
I would make damn sure the front lower control arm bushings are in good order as well. with that bad of a tire wear and that many miles if it's slightly clunky then get it fixed before you pay 12k.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

You did a good move to let the dealer check it out, GRats on the car, welcome !

NOW ENJOY THE BEAST !

Quick Reply: Going to look at a White M6 2001 Formula today...What to watch out for?!?