Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My Black Formula

Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Black Formula

Its a 2000 Firebird Formula, M6, SLP hood, lid and magnaflow catback so in other words its basically stock. It has 5% tint on the hatch and 20% on the side windows. It looks a TON better with the tint then it did without it. It has around 41k miles on it and it is basically free of any flaws! It doesnt even have the door cracks yet but its starting to bend in at the area that gets them so itll need fixed. It needs the hood adjusted a little bit and the exhaust needs some work because its hanging low on the passenger side and squeaks so thatll get taken care of.

A little video of it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJ8aZbf4nE

How many Formula owners have trouble with the hatch? It seems that the inside part (the one in the car with the hatch loop) is actually coming undone from the top part. If you look at the picture you can see the white part. The white part actually is apart from the spoiler. If you look into the hole that is made from the separation you can see the fiberglass of the spoiler on the top part. It seems like it needs to be reglued back into place. The whole top part of the spoiler sits higher then normal because its not really attached to the bottom part that latches to the car. See the attachment to understand what Im talking about.

The only mods planned right now is a lowering with Koni's and Strano springs and that will probably get done when I get back. After that its pretty much nothing at all. Might get some rims next summer but not too sure at all about it.

Also one of the main reasons I got it is because it is a Formula. I just LOVE the look of them and the fact that you dont see them very often at all. I drove for almost two weeks and saw a bunch of Firebirds and TAs but didnt see one other Formula. Got a ton of stares and even a few questions about it in the short stint I got to drive it.

I cant wait to get back from this deployment and drive it some more!!!
Attached Thumbnails My Black Formula-dscf1989aj0.jpg   My Black Formula-dscf2004wy7.jpg   My Black Formula-dscf2015wt2.jpg   My Black Formula-dscf2029ki2.jpg   My Black Formula-dscf2032ta2.jpg  

My Black Formula-problem.jpg  
Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Default Nice!

I really like those SLP hoods! I would lower the car next and then get some cool rims. Everyone around here has almost the same black rims, maybe you could find a more original solution. I need a paint job next as my cars modded out already. Stay safe so you can punish the tuner cars when you get back!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Formula!

I bought my Formula because I wanted Trans Am power but not the looks. Don't get me wrong, a Trans Am is sexy, tough car but the Formulas are so understated. That is what I find appealing about them. I love the fact that people think my ride is a V-6.

The SLP hood is really a unique piece. I am glad to see that I am not alone when it comes to liking this hood.

Thanks for your service man!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I really like the hood. It gives it that Firehawk look which I love. It needs to be adjusted a little bit though as the passenger side is a *tad* low and rubs the fender.

Any idea on the hatch though?

Your car is damn nice. I was going to get a NBM but the seller was pretty shady and it had more miles then I wanted so I passed. The black is growing on me though. Especially after I got it tinted. Any more pics of yours?

One guy I ran into actually knew quite a few about Trans Ams. It was night and he straight up asked me if I had a Formula WS6. I was surprised that his eye was that good to pick out the Formula at night.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind words. The hatch has me stumped. I went to go look at mine and I can see where it might seperate. I am thinking it is heat related.

Here are some pics of my ride. NBM was my first choice when I ordered my car. My basic criteria was: Hardtop, 6 speed, Light as can be. I could have gotten the WS-6 package but I could not justify spending $3000.00 for what basically amounts to a hood. I figured save some money buy the hood later.

Here are some pics:

Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ehhh I think the WS6 Formula would of been worth it to me. What is the cars weight?

I dont think its a heat issue. The car was a Chicago car and was garaged its whole life. Its got plenty of people stumped too.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Formula
I agree on the cleaner look of the Formula over the T/A
I like the T'A's but didn't want leather and T-tops which are both standard on the Trans Am. I also didn't see the point of Ordering the WS6 Pkg cause it adds Zero HP, but in hindsight I should have though cause the only made 2 NBM WS6 Formula's in `98. I also never would of wasted the money on a R/A hood but I came across this one at a swap meet for $250 so I couldn't go wrong.

I am at a loss as to what is wrong with your hatch, never seen that happen before.
If you do the Strano/Koni's make sure you go with the 4/4's and get his swaybars to finish it off. I did mine all at once and it is amazing, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the compliments. I wanted NBM SOOOO bad but couldnt find a car to meet what I wanted so I got the black and its growning on me. As soon as I get some rims Im sure I will like it even more.

Dont think I will go with the 4/4s or the sway bars just yet as thats A LOT of cash to throw down at once but I actually like the way the car handles in stock form. Im sure that adding the springs and 4/3s I will be more then happy with it.

Apparently NOBODY knows whats up with the hatch. Im think about just using some high stregth epoxy when I get back to see how that holds up.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

i love the look of the Formula. i actually enjoy driving it more so than my TTws.6. being a hardtop its super quiet and smooth. only thing i did was the Hood($300 for a OEM hood..couldnt beat that) and wheels(stockers off my ws.6)...lower ws.6 box(also off my ws.6) and than i did the shocks and springs...Bilstein hd's with LG supercoils all around. thats about all the mods this one is getting for sometime. eventually a Procharger will reside under the hood but thats gonna have to wait a couple years or if i sell the TTws.6.
i dont have that problem with my hatch...it is kinda wierd.
im not a fan of that hood but car looks good..congrats.

heres mine: these were taken before the suspension mods

Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Beautiful hardtop. I wanted a hardtop at first but couldnt find any that were within my mileage range.

I like the hood a lot. It was either this or the WS9 Outlaw so its just a plus it came with it!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Here nice one Hardtop Formula Ws6 M6 39,870 mi.

http://auto-rv.com/Browse.aspx?AdName=CHMLI3180078

Old 08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
11 Second Club

^^ wonder if thats a 1LE car?!?!?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTramair
^^ wonder if thats a 1LE car?!?!?
Nop it says it has T-tops.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

formula ws6's are amazing!!!! to say the least
Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Nice job bro, car is looking good, especially the hood. I would go with some Chrome ZR1's staggered, they would look awesome against the black paint. Those stockers gotta go! Keep on modding and keep posting pics!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slowM6
formula ws6's are amazing!!!! to say the least
Its not a WS6 but I could care less. At the time I was shopping WS6 Formulas had about a 3-4k premium for a lot higher mileage so I said screw it.

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Nice job bro, car is looking good, especially the hood. I would go with some Chrome ZR1's staggered, they would look awesome against the black paint. Those stockers gotta go! Keep on modding and keep posting pics!
Ive actually got WS6 Speedlines going on it. They have the center painted black and they look amazing on the car. Once (or if I ever) I get the Strano springs on itll look even better.

BTW, this thread is pretty old.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Black Formula