Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 trans tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G8 trans tuning question

I am working on the A6 tuning, and I had a thought this morning. It seems as though the G8 is really coservative on all aspects of the tune. Would an A6 Vette have a more aggressive setting? I'm thinking I can find a stock tune for a Vette, and just copy the trans settings....it would at least give me a better starting point. But, it seems too easy...am I missing something as to how/why that wouldn't work?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
I am working on the A6 tuning, and I had a thought this morning. It seems as though the G8 is really coservative on all aspects of the tune. Would an A6 Vette have a more aggressive setting? I'm thinking I can find a stock tune for a Vette, and just copy the trans settings....it would at least give me a better starting point. But, it seems too easy...am I missing something as to how/why that wouldn't work?
The weight difference between the cars is significant as to a tranny tune.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh, I knew there would be something. I figured there may be a difference in rear gear ratio, or something like that, but I didn't think of weight. But, what I was thinking had more to do with shift feel/quickness, not so much shift timing based on mph or rpm. So just pulling the settings regarding those areas wouldn't be linked to weight/gears/motor...would it?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Just lessen torque management on upshifts and see how that feels
Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Assuming your using HPT. Make sure you get the latest beta HPT because it allows the fine tuning of the torque management that you need. You have to request it via email to HPT support. Include your serial number in the email to support.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using HPT, and I have adjusted the TM settings. Don't get me wrong, the car shifts a lot better then it did originally. But I was just thinking that the more aggressive tune from the Vette would touch on some more detailed settings that I don't know about. I know there is more in this car, both in the TCM and ECM....I guess I'm just trying to find the best way to make sure I get the best drivability and performance.

I downloaded a stock Vette bin today...I'm at least going to study what is different, and that might lead me in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Launching!

don't forget you can leave drive less agressive and tune sport and manualmatic for racing.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
I am using HPT, and I have adjusted the TM settings. Don't get me wrong, the car shifts a lot better then it did originally. But I was just thinking that the more aggressive tune from the Vette would touch on some more detailed settings that I don't know about. I know there is more in this car, both in the TCM and ECM....I guess I'm just trying to find the best way to make sure I get the best drivability and performance.

I downloaded a stock Vette bin today...I'm at least going to study what is different, and that might lead me in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Yeah, comparison always gives you ideas.. I did lower the desired shift times by about 25% and raised the shift pressures a bit.

Theres a lot that can be done, I had the manual mode dialed in real good with fast crisp shifts. Light years better than the stock super delayed and soft garbage it was.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: G8 trans tuning question