Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Driveshaft Shop G9 9" conversion now avalible

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Shop G9 9" conversion now avalible

The Drive Shaft shop is proud to announce the release of the new G8 9" Rear Conversion Kit. This system has been designed and built specifically for the new Camaro/G8 platform.

Using a steel case with rear mounts tig welded on and a front mount that connects to the original 5 pinion bolts on the 9” center section. Due to the variety of differentials and spools available, we have decided to supply the 9” case only, allowing you to decide what center section would be best for your needs (we can supply the center section upon request). This kit utilizes all 3 original mounting points for the factory differential, Included are custom polyurethane mounts used to support the case, along with all other hardware needed for the installation.

We have supplied our special 31 spline diff stubs rated to 1400HP (larger spline stubs are available for a nominal fee).

All fabrication work for the differential mounting is being done by Scott Bagshaw of Bagshaw fabrication Mooresville, NC. We here are The Driveshaft Shop have decided to move away from telling everyone what materials we are making these parts from. Why, you ask? Well it seems that we have been having trouble with monkey see, monkey do in the drivetrain market. What we will say is that over the last few months DSS has aligned itself with a mill in Sweden providing Aerospace grade material to us direct, that when heat treated to our specifications will far exceed any "trendy" materials that you may have heard of lately. All we want you to know is that it comes from us here at DSS and being that we have been around for more than 35 years, it should be clear that we are not some hobbyists making parts in our spare time. You can count on us to not only come out with the highest quality drivetrain parts, but also to have the capability to bring them to you at a better price,have them in stock with service that is second to none.

The system will come with our Pro-Series 1400HP axles designed for the 9" conversion(sorry the standard G8 axles will not fit).(now coming with custom billet outer made from a new material).
We have also spent considerable time and effort to supply the kit with a proven driveshaft (can not be excluded)

The kit will include:
1. Powder coated Differential housing (bare housing) with rear bracket and poly bushing (centersections avalible apuon request)
2. Powder coated front mount with poly bushings
3. (2) 31 spline diff stubs with o-ring bushings rated and guaranteed for 1400HP
4. (2) DSS 1400HP "fatty" axles with 30 spline center shafts and REM polished CV internals. as of Jan 20th axles will come with new billet outer made from custom blended material.
5.Driveshaft options (all come with custom billet plates, please click link to see why)
(2) chromoly/aluminum
(2) chromoly/chromoly

click here

6. All necessary hardware needed to complete the installation
7. 1-year warranty.
8. fully insured

Notes:
This system was designed to use a Strange "s" series case (or similar), other cases can be used but will require a small amount of fabrication on the upper part of the housing. when ordering a center section please make sure the pinion support bolts

are the same size and clock as a Factory Ford diff.

Part Number: GM9R-2A and GM9R-2M
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Launching!

John
thanks for the order
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Before anyone assumes no I didn't lol
Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Devilish34
Before anyone assumes no I didn't lol
soooo does this mean you need one and are denying your primal instincts for the need to go faster (just kidding) We have them in over 50 Camaro's and i sure would like to get some more G8's on the list.

Last edited by Driveshaft Shop; 03-30-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Driveshaft Shop
soooo does this mean you need one and are denying your primal instincts to for the need to go faster (just kidding) We have them in over 50 Camaro's and i sure would like to get some more G8's on the list.

If it's free I'm in..... You can even put your name on my car

Last edited by Devilish34; 03-30-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I would like to sincerely thank Frank for allowing me the opportunity to work with the Driveshaft Shop on the G8 9" conversion. I hope more G8's go this route so they can push the car to its limit and not have to worry about the drivetrain components failing. After breaking the OEM differential and driveshaft I can't wait to test these components out as they are very strong.

Franks recommendation was the Strange S series center section. I also opted for the chromoly yoke and forged aluminum pinion support as shown here in the Strange shipping container:

Flipside of center section showing the spool and 3.70 gears:

Driveshaft Shop 9" center section components:

Driveshaft Shop 9" G8 Conversion axles:

Assembled center section (went a little overboard with the RTV, instructions state to be sure to get both sides of the gaskets which I did!). I painted the iron center section to prevent rusting. The parts Driveshaft Shop provide are nicely powdercoated.

In case anyone was wondering the Strange center section is 65.6lbs by itself and when assembled with the Driveshaft Shop components ready to bolt in is 104.4lbs.

I mocked the kit up today to provide Frank the driveshaft dimensions so everything should be good to go soon.

Thanks again and I will provide updates!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

I knew you wuz rich$
Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 PM
8 Second Club

I finally installed it this weekend!

250 break in miles to go before I can test her out!

Everything off:

Ready to install:

Driveshaft:

Installed!

Axles and Spohn arms:
Old 05-08-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a question: Why retain the factory style two piece driveshaft? I didn't think ours was that long.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
8 Second Club

Its whats included in the kit and appears plenty strong. I think it will work fine since even the stock driveshaft never broke and this is much stronger.

We discussed making a one piece as well, Frank was doing the calculations to see if it would work and I believe that might be an option.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

i have a brand new one of these for sale if anyone is interested!still in boxes.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Just a question: Why retain the factory style two piece driveshaft? I didn't think ours was that long.
We could do a single shaft but it would have to be 4" in diameter for critical speed. we will be making a Carbon Fiber shaft in the near future but for now this will be supplied with the kit.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

I owned the 1st G8 2pc Drive Shaft built by DSS/HENDRIX ENGINEERING for R&D. I can attest to the Drive Shaft's quality and workmanship. I have taken it up to 160 mph and it is as smooth as the OEM drive shaft it replaced. Great job!!!

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Shop G9 9" conversion now avalible