Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Best CAI......??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best CAI......??

I recently bought a g8 gt an was looking to buy a CAI. I have noticed most of you guys have the vararam. Is that the best, more power and torque wise? And how much did y'all pay? Thanks guys!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

IMO Can't go wrong with Vararam or ROTOFAB. ROTOFAB is like 349 @ MD speed so that's what I bought.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Teching In

I'm a new G8 GT owner also and planning to stay mostly stock since I have b2b GM warranty and powertrain warranty that I don't want to mess with. That being said, a CAI can easily be changed back to stock before bringing in for any warranty diagnosis/work.
So, I'm also looking for the best CAI.... From the research I've done it seems the above poster mentions the two most popular choices, Vararam and Rotofab.
From what I can tell the Rotofab is one of the standard cone filtered CAI's and the Vararam is a ram-air intake. At $350, they both seem comparable in price. The Vararam sounds like it is a bit more involved installing but it also sounds like it has the best gains (from what I've read over the last couple weeks). It is my understanding that the cone type are what I have referred to as "hot-air induction" since the filter draws from inside the engine bay (hot air). I know, there are lots of mods that include cutting holes to bring fresh air in..... Personally this scares me and I would not want to risk hydrolock.
The Vararam is probably what I will go with, as the gains seem fairly impressive and the higher the speed, the more air in......
I'm going to keep researching this though as I am thoroughly impressed with the power delivery on my car, stock. I'm happy at the moment but I know where this is going..... soon I will be jonesing for more power.... and more.... and MOAR!!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 AM

I've been happy with the performance of my Vararam, but I'm not 100% happy with the way it fits, and I'm not crazy about the looks. I've never had a Rotofab, but from the pictures I like the way it looks alot better. Of course, I've also heard that it doesn't perform quite as well, so it's all about what you're looking for.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

If you want the best intake take a look at VCM OTR or the Ramjet. You'll find the Vararam is built very poorly compared to these. Fit, finish, and functionality are much higher with the Australian products, sure they cost more but its for a reason. Next best bet would be the Rotofab if you dont want to spend that much.

I had the Vararam and wouldn't put that junk on my car again. I have a Ramjet now and love it.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMW540-G8GT
I'm a new G8 GT owner also and planning to stay mostly stock since I have b2b GM warranty and powertrain warranty that I don't want to mess with. That being said, a CAI can easily be changed back to stock before bringing in for any warranty diagnosis/work.
So, I'm also looking for the best CAI.... From the research I've done it seems the above poster mentions the two most popular choices, Vararam and Rotofab.
From what I can tell the Rotofab is one of the standard cone filtered CAI's and the Vararam is a ram-air intake. At $350, they both seem comparable in price. The Vararam sounds like it is a bit more involved installing but it also sounds like it has the best gains (from what I've read over the last couple weeks). It is my understanding that the cone type are what I have referred to as "hot-air induction" since the filter draws from inside the engine bay (hot air). I know, there are lots of mods that include cutting holes to bring fresh air in..... Personally this scares me and I would not want to risk hydrolock.
The Vararam is probably what I will go with, as the gains seem fairly impressive and the higher the speed, the more air in......
I'm going to keep researching this though as I am thoroughly impressed with the power delivery on my car, stock. I'm happy at the moment but I know where this is going..... soon I will be jonesing for more power.... and more.... and MOAR!!!!

The rotofab seals to the hood. It is not a warm air intake. If you need a lid to seal the filter box off, then look at the volant.

My worry about the Vararam is hydrolock. New Era had to put a shield on theirs to keep the filter from getting wet. The vararam sets right behind the grill open to all the elements.

Also forget about "ram air." Thats marketing. You aren't going to go fast enough to force air into an intake, effectively making it positive pressure as ram air insinuates.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
The rotofab seals to the hood. It is not a warm air intake. If you need a lid to seal the filter box off, then look at the volant.

My worry about the Vararam is hydrolock. New Era had to put a shield on theirs to keep the filter from getting wet. The vararam sets right behind the grill open to all the elements.

Also forget about "ram air." Thats marketing. You aren't going to go fast enough to force air into an intake, effectively making it positive pressure as ram air insinuates.
Thank you for this info.... I researched a little more last night about the Vararam and hydrolock is a concern. I love the VCM but not the price. At this point, I’m staying with the stock air box and will continue to look around and read the reviews.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Rotofab FTW
Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Rotofab and Vararam are both great products, and the VCM is sooo freakin' sweet. As far as hydrolock with the vararam goes I dunno...I daily drive mine and the rain has never been a problem on my 30 mile commutes. When I first got my vararam this was a concern for me too...but after checking it a couple times after a few rain storms I've never seen/felt it wet.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
If you want the best intake take a look at VCM OTR or the Ramjet. You'll find the Vararam is built very poorly compared to these. Fit, finish, and functionality are much higher with the Australian products, sure they cost more but its for a reason. Next best bet would be the Rotofab if you dont want to spend that much.

I had the Vararam and wouldn't put that junk on my car again. I have a Ramjet now and love it.
I like my Rotofab, but am wanting to upgrade to the VCM or Ramjet. Where can I find the VCM?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

I had a Vararam on my GTO and hated the quality and fit/ finish. I have the Rotofab on the G8, and have a buddy that lives here close that has the Vararam. After looking at his, I still say that quality/fit/finish on the Vararam is ****. The Rotofab seals to the hood, and has a snorkel that drops down through the fender and behind the bumper to pick up cooler air from down low. Kind of like a hard-core mod on the GTO. If I was going to go with an OTR, it would be the VCM - period. When I have some extra cash laying around, that is what will be going on my car.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ROTOFAB on mine, along with a Cortex Perf93 tne, and SOLO Axlebacks with an X Pipe.....I LOVE IT!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

I used to have a Rotofab, but switched to VCM and I'm not looking back. The VCM just offers more power than the rotofab and it's fitment and looks are OEM like.

The Rotofab gave me slightly better MPG's, but the VCM crushed my rotofabs track times under similar DA with out a retune.

Quick Reply: Best CAI......??