Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Looking to replace my BMW 540 with a G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to replace my BMW 540 with a G8 GT

Hi,
I'm in research mode and am very interested in the G8 GT, and currently negotiating on an '09 with Borla axle back and a CAI (K&N, I think). It's black, with very strong tinted windows and debadged (which I like). It's loud, fast and looks hot. Its got almost 36k miles and they are asking $25,500 but I am demanding a lower price and waiting for them to run the #'s.
I noticed it has some light hail damage on the roof and hood and a small crack on the lower facia/spoiler (can easily see how this happens, its pretty low).
I know this is a lame question but what is the highest (ball-park) I should pay on this used G8 GT?

Ok, a little about me:
Grew up working on american V8's but then "grew up", college, kids, career, etc. Currently driving a 1998 BMW 540 automatic. I LOVE this car, stylish (best looking BMW ever), handles great and it's quick. I've got about 260 hp at the rear wheels and ball-park 0-60 5.5-6 seconds and 1/4 mile 14 sec @ 95mph. Its got 123k miles and I've maintained the drive train impeccably but lots of little things and maintenance coming up so I decided to look for the closest newer car to this one in looks and performance and the G8 GT fits the bill.

I'm going to take a look at the classifieds on this and other g8 forums for any G8 GT's for sale in the Colorado area.......

Just want to introduce myself because if I get one soon (hoping) I will certainly have lots of research and learning to do......

Cheers!

Matt
Old 09-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

sounds familiar... i too grew up with muscle cars - several GTO's, Firebirds, etc. when i 'grew up', i moved towards BMW's because i love the way they drive. my last BMW was an 2003 E39 540i M-sport 6-speed. loved the car - but have NO regrets after selling it to buy a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6-speed manual car.

the big V8 BMW 540i 6-speed manual car is similar, i guess, to the big Pontiac G8 - but the LS3 powered GXP blows it away. the G8 GXP is closer to the E39 M5 - but superior, in my opinion.

you should consider a G8 GXP if you can do it. check out the G8 forums classified sections for enthusiast owned cars:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

let me know if you have any questions... good luck.

my 540i 6-speed M-sport:

my G8 GXP:

Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks! This is what I was looking for, someone who knows how great the 540 is but also appreciates american muscle. Your old '03 540 looks gorgeous. I'd love the GXP but am happy with the G8GT automatic since the wife will occasionally drive it and there are no GXP's for sale around here. Thanks for your experience and it's good to hear that the G8 blows away your old M-sport 540..... I want a newer, lower mileage and a bit larger 4dr sedan that is at least as fast as my 540 (or more) and this seems to be the ticket.
In your opinion, is $25500 a little high for the used G8 GT I posted about? I'm thinking more like $24000.......
TIA
Old 09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

pm sent!!!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

lower then that. i paid for a 2008 g8 gt loaded minus a sunroof with 27000 miles for $24500 in perfect condition. id say for that car around 20 or 21000 at most.
id also advise you to check grrrr8.net and g8board.com you will find one nicely modded and very well maintained in your price range
Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

I paid 25,200 for my '09 with 13K miles on it three months ago. Some light hail also. Had a $1300 Corsa exhaust on it as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Hey guys,
I ended up passing on the black one and buying a white hot '09 premium (leather seats, sun roof, 19" wheels, etc) with 35k miles and a one owner car. I'm in love.....
Here's a pic of my new toy at my mountain house....

Its totally stock and it'll stay that way for a while but I'll start with a tune or CAI first since they are inexpensive. Any suggestions are welcome as I am a total newbie and have a lot to learn. I'm starting to read up on the forums to try to make a realistic mod plan. I'm thinking.... cai, tune (ecu & tcu combined), exhaust (x-pipe to hi-flow mufflers) and then headers.... then tune to bring it all together. Not planning on forced induction but would consider a cam down the road....
Old 09-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMW540-G8GT
Hey guys,
I ended up passing on the black one and buying a white hot '09 premium (leather seats, sun roof, 19" wheels, etc) with 35k miles and a one owner car. I'm in love.....
Here's a pic of my new toy at my mountain house....
<snipped>

Its totally stock and it'll stay that way for a while but I'll start with a tune or CAI first since they are inexpensive. Any suggestions are welcome as I am a total newbie and have a lot to learn. I'm starting to read up on the forums to try to make a realistic mod plan. I'm thinking.... cai, tune (ecu & tcu combined), exhaust (x-pipe to hi-flow mufflers) and then headers.... then tune to bring it all together. Not planning on forced induction but would consider a cam down the road....
Very nice! I'd say you're right on track for mods. The initial cai & ecm/tcm tune will really wake the car up - the tcm tune really changes it up. When it comes to the exhaust/headers, keep in mind that if you go with LT's they won't fit the stock mid pipe so plan accordingly so ya don't end up having to do the cat-back piping twice.

Quick Reply: Looking to replace my BMW 540 with a G8 GT