Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Thinking of selling the G8

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling the G8

Well like the title says I'm thinking about sell the car to get a CTS-V. It would be a 05-07 not the 2010-11 unfortunately. I'm just getting bored with the G8 and miss having a manual plus to me the interior of the V is alot nicer. I like the G8 no one has one around my area and the color makes it stick out more but like I said getting bored with it.

To get a V would basically be a even trade in or even take alittle more off what I owe. I loved the last V I drove just wasnt the right time for me to get one but now I'm able to without breaking the bank.

So what would yall do. I know in the end it is up to me up just want to get so other options so let them fly
Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Hmmm, if I didn't have kids I'd get a C6 or Z06 C5.
If it was another sedan, I'd just mod the G8.... I LOVE MINE.... but it's still pretty new to me so I see that you are itching for something new and different, I can respect that. That's what I felt like with my BMW 540 that ripped but I was sick of all the little things breaking and traded it in for my G8 GT.
But, if I where you and it had to be a manual tranny sedan I'd see of I could find a decent priced M3 ('08+ with the S65 V8 engine). Or perhaps an RS6 or RS4, those are pretty slick but none of these could be had for an even trade. I think the CTS V's look kind of cheap and although they drive great I'm sure, I'd still stick with the G8.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, as someone who nearly purchased an LS6 CTS-V new I will say that I wouldn't sell a G8 to get into one. The first CTS-V model is basically a generation older car in every respect. Even the interior which wasn't nice when the car was new doesn't compare well to the G8. Crinkled leather, hazy plastics and the finish flaking off the controls that are most used are common, even on cars that have owners that baby them.

The suspension on the G8 is also far more durable and designed from the ground up for straight line launches as well as excellent steering feedback and handling. The suspension on the first CTS-V was not originally intended for 400hp and poorly adapted to it, manifesting in weaknesses like excessive wheel-hop and rear differentials going south. The 2005+ SRT8s cars are honestly better in most respects than the LS6/LS2 CTS-V. They have none of the suspension, refinement and durability issues the first Vs do plus the interiors though not nice do offer much better seats and more room inside and in the trunk.

Cars are a matter of preference though, if you simply want a CTS-V now by all means get it. Just make sure you don't have any regrets about it once you give up your G8.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys.
I like the looks of the G8 it has a good bit of power, lots of room, different from every other car in my area, but I want a 6 speed, seems like everything is making some type of noise, and I'm just overall bored with the car and dont want to mod another automatic car.

I am aware of the issue that the V has with wheel hop and other problems. I went I went to look at one this weekend but the sold it the night before so the search continues.

I'm also going to go test drive a 03 Z06 tomorrow to see if it something I might consider. I dont have to have 4 doors since I'm single with no kids but I like having the extra room to carry golf clubs, guns and people all at the same time but I might be able to work with the room the a Z can offer I'll find out tomorrow.

Also I looked up the SRT-8's do they not offer any of them in a 6 speed?
I'm also open to other suggestions I have even consider trying to pick up a low mileage 4th gen and not having a car payment for awhile but dont know if I'll go that route rather have something alittle different
Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01trans am
Thanks for the input guys.
I like the looks of the G8 it has a good bit of power, lots of room, different from every other car in my area, but I want a 6 speed, seems like everything is making some type of noise, and I'm just overall bored with the car and dont want to mod another automatic car.

I am aware of the issue that the V has with wheel hop and other problems. I went I went to look at one this weekend but the sold it the night before so the search continues.

I'm also going to go test drive a 03 Z06 tomorrow to see if it something I might consider. I dont have to have 4 doors since I'm single with no kids but I like having the extra room to carry golf clubs, guns and people all at the same time but I might be able to work with the room the a Z can offer I'll find out tomorrow.

Also I looked up the SRT-8's do they not offer any of them in a 6 speed?
I'm also open to other suggestions I have even consider trying to pick up a low mileage 4th gen and not having a car payment for awhile but dont know if I'll go that route rather have something alittle different
SRT-8 would be a downgrade anyway. It's a boat. Not particularly pretty either.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my G8 so i would stick with it but thats me. if you like the CTS Vs then go for it.
Get a G8 GXP they come in 6 speeds
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Well, as someone who nearly purchased an LS6 CTS-V new I will say that I wouldn't sell a G8 to get into one. The first CTS-V model is basically a generation older car in every respect. Even the interior which wasn't nice when the car was new doesn't compare well to the G8. Crinkled leather, hazy plastics and the finish flaking off the controls that are most used are common, even on cars that have owners that baby them.

The suspension on the G8 is also far more durable and designed from the ground up for straight line launches as well as excellent steering feedback and handling. The suspension on the first CTS-V was not originally intended for 400hp and poorly adapted to it, manifesting in weaknesses like excessive wheel-hop and rear differentials going south. The 2005+ SRT8s cars are honestly better in most respects than the LS6/LS2 CTS-V. They have none of the suspension, refinement and durability issues the first Vs do plus the interiors though not nice do offer much better seats and more room inside and in the trunk.
Cars are a matter of preference though, if you simply want a CTS-V now by all means get it. Just make sure you don't have any regrets about it once you give up your G8.
The only downfall of the first gen V is the differential itself. It shares no other suspension components that I know of that are on the regular CTS. The car handles VERY well not to mention 4 piston brembos on all 4 corners, not many cars come from the factory with that. Im currently selling mine to get something more radical but for a daily driver thatll turn some heads the V1 is an AWESOME choice. I drove a G8 GT prior to buying the V and the auto bored me(personal preference),

Op why not step up to a G8 GXP?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Launching!

I thought about a GXP but since most of them are still going for over $30,000 I really dont want to go that route. I'm looking to keep what I owe on the car a low as possible.

Like itsslow98 said the G8 is boring me now and I wanted a V before I got the G8 but didnt ever pick one up. So unless something changes the G8 is for sale and the search for a V is underway.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01trans am
I thought about a GXP but since most of them are still going for over $30,000 I really dont want to go that route. I'm looking to keep what I owe on the car a low as possible.

Like itsslow98 said the G8 is boring me now and I wanted a V before I got the G8 but didnt ever pick one up. So unless something changes the G8 is for sale and the search for a V is underway.
convert yours to a 6 speed it has been done already not to much to it. i don't think ????????
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Launching!

I thought about that but from a write up of a guy that did one it look like it was $5000+ to do that kind of conversion if I did that might as well get a GXP.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the G8