Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Muggy smell coming from a/c vents

Old 06-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muggy smell coming from a/c vents

Does anyone know if there is a cabin air filter or anyway i can get rid of this smell? Its pretty embarassing.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since water condenses on evaporators they get kind of mildewy/moldy and smell funny. There are products you can inject into the evap housing to clean it. sometimes you have to drill a hole to inject foam into the housing. there is a spray called fridgifresh that you spray in the fresh air inlet with the ac on.

The easiest thing would be to use some fridgifresh and from now on run just the fan with the ac off for the last couple mins before shutting the car off. That will dry the evaporator and prevent mildew from building up
Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Unless it's a really bad smell then maybe you have a dead mouse lol. I've pulled more than I can count out of HVAC systems. The mildewy smell is almost like a sweet smell from what I've smelled
Old 06-05-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

It's supposed to drain so unless it's plugged you shouldn't need to drill holes. I would check the air filter first and go from there.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM

A dead mouse? Lol. damn. I looked in the glovebox didnt see a cabin air filter. I dont really want to drill any holes. :/ it is a sweaty smell btw.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Cabin Air Filter DIY
Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Thanks alot! I went right out to my car, pulled that sucker out and I dont think the previous owner ever changed it! Problem fixed Thanks.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TriShield
It's supposed to drain so unless it's plugged you shouldn't need to drill holes. I would check the air filter first and go from there.
The hole I'm talking about is to inject the foam in the evap housing. You don't need to do it on every vehicle but on some that's how they do it. The foam eventually runs out the drain. Even if you use a cleaner like this it's still good to run the fan with the ac off to dry the evaporator if you want to prevent the smell
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Also a dirty cabin filter really shouldn't cause a smell. not a bad idea to replace them regularly though, I've seem them pretty dirty by as little as 10,000 miles. It's not all that important though, they don't protect components, they just filter the cabin air
Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

You need to replace the cabin filter annually or the car will smell bad.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
You need to replace the cabin filter annually or the car will smell bad.
+1 and I also burn some special incense in our cars as well. the smoke gets so thick you cant even see in the windows but it does smell nice!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

OP, There is a TSB for this problem

#99-01-39-004C: Air Conditioning Odor (Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating) - (Jun 12, 2009)

Subject: Air Conditioning Odor (Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating)

Models: 1993-2010 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
All Equipped with Air Conditioning

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 and 2010 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-01-39-004B (Section 01 -- HVAC).
Condition

Some customers may comment about musty odors emitted from the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system at vehicle start-up in hot, humid conditions.
Cause

This condition may be caused by condensate build-up on the evaporator core, which does not evaporate by itself in high humidity conditions. The odor may be the result of microbial growth on the evaporator core. When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment.

There are several other possible sources of a musty odor in a vehicle. A common source is a water leak into the interior of the vehicle or foreign material in the HVAC air distribution system. Follow the procedures in SI for identifying and correcting water leaks and air inlet inspection.

The procedure contained in this bulletin is only applicable if the odor source has been determined to be microbial growth on the evaporator core inside the HVAC module.
Correction

Many vehicles currently incorporate an afterblow function within the HVAC control module software. The afterblow feature, when enabled, employs the HVAC blower fan to dry the evaporator after vehicle shut down and this function will inhibit microbial growth. Technicians are to confirm that the customer concern is evaporator core odor and that the vehicle has the imbedded afterblow feature, as defined in the SI document for that specific vehicle model, model year and specific HVAC option. Refer to SI for enabling the afterblow function. Vehicles being delivered in areas prone to high humidity conditions may benefit from having the afterblow enabled calibration installed prior to any customer comment.

Important: If the vehicle is not factory equipped with the imbedded afterblow enable feature, it may be added with the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module Kit (P/N 12497910 or AC Delco 15-5876).

Important: When installing the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module, you MUST use the included electrical splice connectors to ensure a proper splice. Complete detailed installation instructions and self testing procedures are supplied with the kit. If necessary, the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module may be installed underhood if it is protected from extreme heat and water splash areas.

To immediately remove the evaporator core odor on all suspect vehicles, it is necessary to eliminate the microbial growth and prevent its re-occurrence. To accomplish this, perform the following procedure:

Vehicle and Applicator Tool Preparation

1. The evaporator core must be dry . This may be accomplished by disabling the compressor and running the blower fan on the recirc heat setting for an extended period of time.

Note: Compressor engagement will cause the evaporator core to remain wet and will prevent full adherence of the Coiling Coil Coating to the evaporator core surfaces.
2. Verify that the air conditioning drain hose is not clogged and place a drain pan beneath the vehicle.
3. Place a protective cover over the carpet below the evaporator core.
4. Remove the cabin air filter, if equipped, and cover the opening prior to applying the Cooling Coil Coating, as the product may clog the filter. If the cabin air filter appears to have little or no remaining life, suggest a replacement to your customer.
5. If the HVAC module has a blower motor cooling tube, be careful NOT TO SPRAY THE COOLING COIL COATING INTO THE BLOWER MOTOR COOLING TUBE .
6. Attach the Flexible Applicator Pressure Spray Tool (J-43810-20A) to a compressed air line operating at 586 kPa (85 psi) to 793 kPa (115 psi).
7. Shake the bottle of Cooling Coil Coating well. Screw the bottle onto the cap on the applicator tool's pick-up tube.

Note: The pick-up tube is designed for 120 ml (4 oz) and 240 ml (8 oz) bottles and should coil slightly in the bottom of a 120 ml (4 oz) bottle.
8. Use one of the following three methods to apply the Cooling Coil Coating.

Important: If the Pressure Applicator Spray Tool (J-43810-20A) is not available, the Cooling Coil Coating is also available in an aerosol can (P/N 12377951 (in Canada, 10953503)).
Application Through Blower Motor Control Module Opening
• Remove the blower motor control module (blower motor resistor). Refer to the applicable procedure in SI.
• Clean any debris or foreign material from inside the HVAC module and on the evaporator core surface.
• Apply the Cooling Coil Coating directly to the evaporator core through the blower motor blower motor control module (blower motor resistor) opening.
• Use the flexible wand to direct the Cooling Coil Coating over the entire evaporator core and surrounding gasket surfaces.
• When the application is complete, install the blower motor blower motor control module (blower motor control module).
Application Through Blower Motor Opening
• Remove the blower motor. Refer to the applicable blower motor removal procedure in SI.
• Clean any debris or foreign material from inside the HVAC module and on the evaporator core surface.
• Apply the Cooling Coil Coating directly to the evaporator core through the blower motor opening.
• Use the flexible wand to direct the Cooling Coil Coating over the entire evaporator core and surrounding gasket surfaces.
• When the application is complete, install the blower motor.
Application Through a Hole in the HVAC Module
• If neither of the two previous application methods are available, it may be necessary to drill a hole in the HVAC module.
• Locate an area of the HVAC module between the blower motor and the evaporator core. Drill a 10 mm (3/8 in) hole in the HVAC module. Use caution to keep the drill clear of the evaporator core and the blower motor fan.
• With the air distribution vents closed and the blower motor fan speed on HIGH, insert the applicator tool into the hole and spray the Cooling Coil Coating into the airstream toward the evaporator core.
• Use a GM approved RTV sealant to plug the hole in the HVAC module.
9. After the Cooling Coil Coating application is complete, start and run the vehicle for approximately 10 minutes, with the compressor disabled, HVAC mode set to Recirculate/Max, heat set to full warm, blower motor fan speed on high, and one window open approximately 12 mm (1/2 in). This cures the Cooling Coil Coating onto the evaporator core surface.
10. While the engine is running, rinse the applicator tool with warm water to prolong the life of the tool. Be sure to spray warm water through the nozzle to rinse out any residual Cooling Coil Coating still in the capillary pick up tube, otherwise it will dry and clog the applicator tool. Also remove the small green valve from the bottle cap and rinse it thoroughly while rolling it between two fingers and then reinstall it. If this valve is clogged , the Cooling Coil Coating will not flow through the applicator tool.
11. Shut off the engine and enable the compressor again.
12. Verify proper HVAC system operation.
13. Remove the protective cover from inside the vehicle.
14. Remove the drain pan from underneath the vehicle.
15. Reinstall the cabin air filter if necessary.

Parts Information

Important: The Cooling Coil Coating listed below is the only GM approved product for use under warranty as an evaporator core disinfectant and for the long term control of evaporator core microbial growth.

Part Description

GM Part Number

SPX Kent-Moore Part Number

Cooling Coil Coating (CCC) Kit (with flexible applicator tool and 1 bottle of Cooling Coil Coating)

J-43810-A

Cooling Coil Coating Flexible Applicator Tool only

N/A

J-43810-20A

Refill for Cooling Coil Coating Applicator Kit (2 x 120 ml (4 oz) Bottles of CCC)

(N/A in Canada, use SPX Kent-Moore J-43810-4)

J-43810-4

Refill for Cooling Coil Coating Applicator Kit (1 x 120 ml (4 oz) Bottle of CCC)

N/A

J-43810-30

Cooling Coil Coating (1 x 180 ml (6 oz) Aerosol Can of CCC)

12377951 (In Canada use 10953503)

N/A

Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module Kit (one per vehicle)

12497910 (AC Delco 15-5876)

N/A
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

D3316*

Apply Cooling Coil Coating and Install Electronic Evaporator Dryer Kit

0.8 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 PM

Wow, can my local dealer do this?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's where I got my ac delco cabin filter from. $33, sounds expensive but its cheaper than what you can get at the parts stores and it fits right.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=29307
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Here's where I got my ac delco cabin filter from. $33, sounds expensive but its cheaper than what you can get at the parts stores and it fits right.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=29307
Yep, Crazy Paul is the man. Best way to get a replacement cabin filter.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CNeeleyG8
Wow, can my local dealer do this?
As far as I know, yes.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 208 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbell2
Just caught this thread...just sent Paul some $
Gotta love the forums!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just pulling the cabin filter. It isn't like cars ran them until the past 8-10 years anyway. Its just an unessecary additional expense and wasted time changing it.

We had the Evap drier installed in the TBSS we had. We were told it opens the vent and runs the fan for 30 min or so after you turn the car off. The TBSS still had the smell though. You can also help the drying without this by opening the vent for the last 5-10 min of your commute if you can. Definately open the vent when you're going to be shutting down. My V opens the vent when the car is shut off and it doesn't have any issues of this sort.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you saw how nasty my filter was(14,000 miles and always garage kept), you'd wish even you old cars had one.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnbell2
Especially Canadians, dealers there are ripping over $100 for a filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Muggy smell coming from a/c vents