Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Any one waiting to see Chevy's SS Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one waiting to see Chevy's SS Sedan?

I have been mulling this over for quite a while. I recently hinted at possibly waiting this out, especially given the G8 I would've sold my soul for (Blue GXP AT) just sold before I could even get serious about lining up assets to obtain, I think I may just wait for this car to arrive. I am not thrilled it won't be a pontiac, but somehow waiting for it might pay off (I'm hoping for slightly higher tune, lighter body and some more features). Is anyone else here anticipating this car? It's said to be placed on sale come end of 2013, as a 2014, so they must have a "concept" debuting about november-february. It'll basically be the Holden Commodore VF. What do you hope they will change/leave alone? What do you predict will be improved?

Last edited by omgitsmikeyc; 08-04-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Grammar corrections
Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Itll be a lot better. Newer chassis, new car, new body etc etc whats not to love?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

They have said it will debut at Daytona Nascar race in Feb. 2013, not before. They even stopped Holden from showing the New Commodore VF until that day so no-one will know what it'll look like.
Tate
Old 08-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Launching!

I am anticipating it very much now that some stupid bit#h rearended ours and did 9k worth of damage. Hoping we can get out of it an into the SS and maybe have navigation and the ls3.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Teching In

I'm waiting for it too, but I think the price is going to be $45k+. Nice GXP's can still be had for around $35k
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There already out in police packages.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

I sure hope it's not 45k but I'd gladly pay 35-40....
Old 08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I could use a new bumper... haha
Old 08-04-2012, 02:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by canada4g63
There already out in police packages.
No they are not. The police caprice you are referring to is a streched version of the Commodore VE platform (think current G8). The new VF platform is a new animal and not out anywhere.
Tate
Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just have a feeling chevy will ruin it but time will tell
Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Compg
No they are not. The police caprice you are referring to is a streched version of the Commodore VE platform (think current G8). The new VF platform is a new animal and not out anywhere.
Tate
Whats so different about it... looks like Chevy changed the front bumper. Otherwise it looks just like a G8.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

He means it'll be a new chassis, smaller wheel base, 300 lbs (est.) lighter with more advanced trans, suspension and engine. I'm guessing 450hp range. They can't bring a 7 year old body as competitive now, it doesn't matter for police cars( how many gens of Victorias have been identical?)

Last edited by omgitsmikeyc; 08-04-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 PM
8 Second Club

I doubt it'll be on a new chassis, GM already said it would be on the Zeta chassis (IE G8 & Camaro). I doubt it will be much if any lighter then a G8, its still going to be a full size car.

Plus its hard to get a much better trans then the 6L80 or TR-6060 offered in the G8's. GM said it will basically have the engine and trans offerings from the GXP G8. If they were smart they would just through the CTS-V's 6L90 in it and call it a day.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
I doubt it'll be on a new chassis, GM already said it would be on the Zeta chassis (IE G8 & Camaro). I doubt it will be much if any lighter then a G8, its still going to be a full size car.

Plus its hard to get a much better trans then the 6L80 or TR-6060 offered in the G8's. GM said it will basically have the engine and trans offerings from the GXP G8. If they were smart they would just through the CTS-V's 6L90 in it and call it a day.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/05/...on-efficiency/

When the Chevrolet SS starts shipping to dealers in late 2013, the limited-production model will be closely related to the upcoming VF version of the Holden Commodore. That much we already knew. But after speaking to a trusted source familiar with GM’s plans for Zeta-based vehicles, we were able to garner a few important details about the upcoming update.
To start, the VF will be “noticeably lighter” than the current VE series thanks to a refresh that will be “significant in nature”. Sources tell us that the engineering team was able to shave off weight “where it counts” without having to make sacrifices or serious changes to the architecture itself. The decrease in poundage is said to result in a more rewarding driving experience and noticeably better fuel economy — which is expected to improve by at least seven percent. If there’s anything the Zeta platform has been criticized for, its the weight, so this news is very positive for those who appreciate handling.
In addition, a source familiar with Holden’s manufacturing plans told GM Authority that the production process itself will receive a few upgrades, the most significant of which will be the ability to create a left-hand-drive model more efficiently compared to the current process. Whether the improved efficiency will be at the production line at the Elizabeth plant itself or at the supplier level was not revealed. Regardless, these updates to the production process make sense given the Chevy SS Performance sedans bound for North America. It’s also easy to imagine GM’s LFX V6 engine being the base engine, with a powerful, bellowing small block V8 as an option.
Lastly, according to Australia’s GoAuto, a new collision warning system (probably what we see in the GMC Terrain and Chevy Equinox), blind-spot alert, remote engine start, and push-button start are among the features that will be found in the VF Commodore and Chevy SuperSport, along with electric power steering and an electric parking brake — though we kindly wish for an optional lever parking brake, for the sake of shenanigans. A flat-bottom steering wheel will also be present (yay!), and so will LED daytime running lights.

http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-2014...an-212071.html

we don’t yet know which V-8 will power the new sedan. The SS could share the same supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 as found in the Cadillac CTS-V, but there’s also a chance that GM’s new 5.5-liter small block direct-injected V-8 could make its way into the SS. If the SS ever gets the 5.5-liter V-8, though, expect the next-generation Corvette to use the engine first. The other likely candidate is GM’s 6.2-liter LS3 V-8, which is currently found under the hood of the Corvette and Camaro.
(END QUOTE)
__________________________________________________ ________________________

I do not see them down tuning the motor from Camaro spec at least, which is about 20 horses over the previous GXP form stock. Gm themselves has mentioned the weight, composite and production efficiency benefits in the new model. It will indeed be on a zeta chassis (zeta II) reworked and fine tuned. They are looking to improve on this car, given as it will also be a brand new Australian variant. Why re-badge and bring back an identical 7 year old model, as it has stayed in production in Australia this whole time. They must improve or people won't be inclined to buy the new one. Don't get me wrong, I love the G8 and G8 GXP, I came a hair trigger away from buying one last week, but it sounds like the next version will not be a direct carry over either.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:21 AM
8 Second Club

Yeah I've seen that optimist article along with plenty others that arent so inspiring.. its GM dont get your hopes up. Its still going to be a 3,800+lb sedan.

They need to do something drastic to impress me enough to buy another one of these turd buckets. It would be awesome if they make something better then the G8, they need too. But I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tainted
Itll be a lot better. Newer chassis, new car, new body etc etc whats not to love?
Also thinking G8 demand/price will drop off a lot except to the hardcore fanatics who have a boner for how the Pontiac version looks.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Yeah I've seen that optimist article along with plenty others that arent so inspiring.. its GM dont get your hopes up. Its still going to be a 3,800+lb sedan.

They need to do something drastic to impress me enough to buy another one of these turd buckets. It would be awesome if they make something better then the G8, they need too. But I'm not going to hold my breath.
Even if they got it in at 3800 lbs that would be a hell of an improvement. My G8 GT stock weighed in at 4100 full fuel without me in it. 300 lbs less would be a great thing. And that pic posted is of the Commodore VE platform not the new VF platform. That's why it looks like a G8 with a differnet bumper, it is.
Tate
Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Compg
Even if they got it in at 3800 lbs that would be a hell of an improvement. My G8 GT stock weighed in at 4100 full fuel without me in it. 300 lbs less would be a great thing. And that pic posted is of the Commodore VE platform not the new VF platform. That's why it looks like a G8 with a differnet bumper, it is.
Tate
Yeah it would, but we'll see if it actually happens. It took GM years longer then the competition to design a car that finally competed with the cars in its class on weight (Cadillac ATS). If it is indeed on the Zeta chassis I'll be intrigued where they take the weight off. At the end of the day I doubt they will get the sedan lighter then the Camaro.

I got my G8 down in weight by changing simple things, lighter wheels, losing the cast iron manifolds and heavy mufflers, removing 10kilos of weight bolted to subframe, swapping out 50lb battery, etc. Little things that anyone can do. As I changed things I saw the G8 weight drop from 4100 to 3900, to 3800, etc.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Im eagerly awaiting this car. Rear drive Sport sedan with a V8? Sign me up! I regret selling my G8
Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

cant wait to see how it looks depends if i get one or not

Quick Reply: Any one waiting to see Chevy's SS Sedan?