Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

2008 G8 GT - G88 589 - "Build Thread"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to use my hazard lights for the first time last Friday. Unfortunately, while it seemed like I was pressing the button "normally," they would not turn on. With a quick search, I found that it's a common problem and would require me to pull the face plate of the radio out.

It certainly is a mix of go-getters and sissy-boys out there in the G8 crowd between those who just yank it out versus those who have trepidation. I read enough about it that I figured I'd be just fine doing things the redneck way: "hold my beer and watch this!" I believe I spent more time searching the garage for something to use to keep the switch from falling back in than I did actually doing the repair.

Anyway, there appeared to be a lack of pictures for this, so here's my addition...

All is well after the yank...

What it looked like before the repair:

Time to loosen some screws...

The backside of the switch:

The little screw tabs that bust off:

My fix -- some foam weather strip I had laying around the house:

And voila! Nice and flush and turns on/off easily:

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Nice G8 you have there. I've had mine 6 years and I love it, best car I ever had. I'm also thinking about the Kooks mids, let me know how you like them if you pull the trigger.

I have Solo axlebacks (which are straight pipes) with the factory mid muffler and it sounds good. Kooks long tubes with catted mid pipes would be too loud with the Solo axlebacks since I'd have to eliminate the mid muffler.
Aside from the mids, I'm also considering just getting long tubes and then fabbing the factory mid pipe to connect with them. I'd run the cutouts and then install cats (or a shell) before the mid muffler. I believe this might keep me quiet enough under normal driving -- especially inside -- but allow me to reap the full benefits of the long tubes with the cutouts open.

I have a lot of time until I can invest in headers, so I'll no doubt drive myself crazy figuring something out
Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using the factory mid pipes with long tubes will create restricted flow since the pipes are too small. If you want the full benefit of long tubes you need to replace the mid pipes with larger ones. If you want to keep the factory mid pipes get the Kooks mid length headers since they will flow well enough with those headers.

About the switch repair I would think the foam will compress over time and leave you with the same sunken switch problem you had before.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
It certainly is a mix of go-getters and sissy-boys out there in the G8 crowd between those who just yank it out versus those who have trepidation.
I am still a sissy boy about the G8. But I may get better. I was a sissy boy about 4th gen f-bodies at first, because, being from old school muscle, I didn't know that modern computer controlled cars could be modified. Then I got on LS1tech and my mind was blown. And the rest is history.

But the G8 still intimidates me. I think it's because of the complexity of the assembly vs. f-bodies.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the G8! I'm on both forums with the same name as this one.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Using the factory mid pipes with long tubes will create restricted flow since the pipes are too small.
You must have missed my reference to a set of these right off the collectors

About the switch repair I would think the foam will compress over time and leave you with the same sunken switch problem you had before.
It was all I had laying around -- but it's actually quite stiff. Nonetheless, it takes all of five minutes to mess with, so I'll have no concern doing it again or coming up with something else. I'm a redneck engineer, remember?

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I am still a sissy boy about the G8. But I may get better. I was a sissy boy about 4th gen f-bodies at first, because, being from old school muscle, I didn't know that modern computer controlled cars could be modified. Then I got on LS1tech and my mind was blown. And the rest is history.

But the G8 still intimidates me. I think it's because of the complexity of the assembly vs. f-bodies.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm nearly 100% self-taught with my mechanical ability. I always figured if those in the dealerships and factories can take it apart and put it together, then why can't I? It's really not that complex -- like a big LEGO Technic set. Just start tearing into stuff, pay attention what you take off, where it went, etc., and you're good. Further, between here and the other two sites, it's likely someone has done it before. Oh, and I say sissy-boy as a term of endearment and a chuckle -- no condescension.

Nonetheless, I hope my thread will inspire everyone to just say "eff it!" and go at it themselves. Put it in perspective: people have no problem spending $1500-$2000 on long tubes and a mid pipe, so how bad can one mess things up tinkering that they couldn't just pay someone to fix? Get in there, figure it out, learn from your mistakes, and reflect back on the empowerment you just gained by doing it yourself...

Old 08-25-2014, 09:53 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Had a blast at the UMI Performance cruise (as usual) this past weekend. Zac and Simon did some nice burnouts in their Camaros -- so I had to do it as well

This was the first standing burnout I've done since picking the car up, so it's certainly not as good as it should have been. I put the transmission in Sport, but in hindsight I should have put it in Manual to keep it from shifting like it was doing. There's always next year...

I also picked up all of the parts UMI makes at the moment for the Zeta platform. Tunnel brace, trailing arms, and toe rods. The trailing/toe set came off of UMI's 2010 SS as they went to the Rotojoints a couple weeks ago in preparation for the Ohio Musclecar Challenge which was last weekend.

No matter the fear that is instilled from the experts in the suspension section, the reality is that I'm not a professional race car driver that only plans on keeping the car at the track -- that is, polyurethane joints are just fine. I won't be installing this stuff until the spring, though.

FWIW, I got nearly 26mpg on the trip out and back. I suppose there is a plus having AFM, but I can not wait until I get this thing tuned!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

good to see some g8 owners on tech.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Guess I should follow this build......
Old 08-29-2014, 09:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by BlownStangGT
Guess I should follow this build......
Yes, you should

Though, it's certainly nothing compared to that old heap of yours
Old 08-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Teching In

First of all very sharp car. Looks great.

I have kooks 1 7/8" long tubes with their catted x-pipe with the stock axle back. Its a very stealthy setup id recommend if you want long tubes and keep the sound level similar.

I had only a solo axle back on my G8 a while back and the noise levels with the two setups is very similar IMO. If you go for headers with cutouts that will be a perfect balance with DD worthy quiet and drag strip loud.

I would like cutouts eventually but for now I have a set of magnaflow axle backs I put on when I need some sound.

Last edited by 1313; 08-30-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fengstang
good to see some g8 owners on tech.
Bah!! hardbones sold out in the name of family, practicality, money and common sense. ***** weak.

Joking.

My daughter is two weeks old today BTW hardbones. While I havent done anything more than look at my car in the past few months - and she wont be in it until spring - she has now officially taken a couple of rides with daddy driving, albeit in the wifes Golf R. Nothing like experiencing turbo lag followed by turbo boost as a family! Not driving crazy, dont worry. But she likes it and I think it will be a good lesson for her.... small displacement FI first followed by American NA power. The wife had her revelation after driving my car home once.

I know it's all pipe dreams for you now as far as the G8 goes, but don't worry, you'll get there. What a great four door "family" car that is, seriously.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Teching In

I did the obx 1 7/8 headers on my 09 g8. I also did a muffler delete and the car was loud! So much drone. I now upgraded to the stock gxp mufflers and tips and love the sound!! Good luck with the build. I'm also on both grrrr8 and g8board.

Now the car has a custom cam, ported intake , milled heads and some nitrous. I also love the g8 and wouldn't trade it.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in for a quality build
Old 10-14-2014, 01:58 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

While not an exciting update, it's an update nonetheless.

I performed the first oil change and tire rotation since my ownership. The previous owner documented all oil changes; he used Valvoline SynPower 5w30 with a Mobil 1 filter (M1-113). I chose to stick with synthetic, but I switched to "old faithful" Mobil 1 with a K&N filter (HP-1017). For those that did not follow my Camaro thread, I've always found the K&N to maintain good oil pressure in high rpm driving. Some say there is no difference between M1 or K&N filter, but I already had the K&N when I read that, so take that for what it's worth. I also decided to give the M1 High Mileage oil a try since I've got 85k on it.

It also gave me an excuse to find use for the "Factory Fill" oil cap that I've been using since my first LS1 car (picture from my Camaro):

Since I had the car in the air, I figured I'd toss the UMI Performance tunnel brace on:

That's it for this update! The next one will likely be about winter tires.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Steve!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Looks good. Its nice to see someone working on their own vehicle for a change. I laugh when I see guys paying labor. Makes modding cost almost twice as much. I figure I've saved at least 10k in labor costs on this G8 so far.

Anyway keep it up and keep the updates coming.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Notice any difference with that brace on? I'm also looking to free up my wife's exhaust without going too loud. She's cool with it, it's just money and finding a good sounding exhaust that she won't get irritated with after the newness wears off.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Resident Retard

Nice car, i have been looking at picking one up. I did try to join the G8Board, but they will not activate my membership...
Old 02-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking nice! Planning on picking one up for a new daily driver, nice to see a build on here!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Quick Reply: 2008 G8 GT - G88 589 - "Build Thread"