Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Bye Bye G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
The Corvette will remain a V8 but I believe it will no longer be available in the redesigned Camaro because it's based on the smaller ATS platform which doesn't have a V8 option. That car just looks too small to me to have anything bigger than a V6 under the hood. Heck even the CTS is available with the same 2.0 turbo I have in my Regal so it's obvious GM is changing over to smaller turbocharged motors. I'm speculating the redesigned Camaro will get the twin turbo V6 which will be in the ATS-V for 2015 and is available in the CTS Vsport.
It makes sense that we'd see some kind of smaller turbo engine available in the next Camaro, especially since this is now the case with Mustang. However, Mustang still offers a V8 in addition and so I think GM would be making a mistake to not continue competing at that level. There are definitely customers who would rather have a V8 than a specific nameplate, so you can bet that some Camaro shoppers would head for Mustang GT at that point.

As for engine bay room, I see your point, but keep in mind that the W-body platform wasn't designed for a V8 either, but they still managed to stuff an LS4 into the Monte Carlo SS/Grand Prix GXP/LaCrosse Super. Those were some pretty tight clearances but still doable.

Personally I feel confident that we'll still see a V8 Camaro in the next generation.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every year the gas mileage regulations are getting stricter so that's why automakers are thinking of alternative powerplants to the gas guzzling V8. Cadillac's twin turbo V6 puts out as much power than the LS3 and its gets better gas mileage, so it would be a much better choice in the new smaller Camaro than a V8. Just imagine a 420 hp turbo all wheel drive Camaro, it would easily beat an LS3 powered 6 gen.

Ford has the Ecoboost V6 that's in the SHO Taurus yet they put the Ecoboost 4 cylinder in the Mustang, so it leads me to believe the V6 will be the motor that might someday power the GT and the 4 cyl will be used in the base Mustang. It's just speculation on my part but it seems like the way things are headed in the future.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, I am in the g8 section right? Maybe I clicked on the Buick tab instead... wait this is LS1TECH right?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shortcomings of the G8 are discussed in this thread, so quit crying and move on if you don't like Buicks. Oh and by the way Pontiac is dead and Buick lives on.....
Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

the regal does look a lot better in person than in the photo. Hope they do make a GNX version with an LT1 in it
Old 12-28-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are talking about a GNX but since it would use the Caddy ATS chassis it will have the same twin turbo V6 as the ATS-V. It's possible AWD might be an option so that would allow it to put the power to the ground.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...17-future-cars
Old 01-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

The v8 Camaro isn't going anywhere. Not for awhile anyway.

And I don't think my Cobalt SS sounded terrible for a 4 banger. 3" straight pipe off the turbo.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Wink

The grass is always greener, OP. After 7 years in my 98 TA, I went through 4 cars in two years and I thought I was happy not having to drive that old Pontiac around... then someone traded a G8 GT into my dealership and I came running back from Infiniti. If you're financing that thing, I just hope it keeps you satisfied long enough to pay it off.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Hey RedHotG8,

I have a 2011 Regal turbo. Loaded, 6sp manual, 19" wheels, HID lights, Adaptive suspension, Nav, Carbon black. etc

Its an awesome car, drives nice, fun, tons of amenities. I can cruise and get over 36mpg hwy. Its not a beast but its an awesome every day cars that's sporty. Everybody wants to drive it.

Its not a downgrade by any means. G8 is nice, but a regal is nicer. Obviously its apples to oranges and no LS motor. (FYI the reason you like the leather is likely because its real genuine leather and not the typical fake stuff.)

Since this picture I've tinted the windows.

And right now I have dedicated snow rims/tires and its blasting through the winter

Last edited by DannoWS6; 01-27-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Danno it's good to see another satisfied Regal owner. You're right it is an awesome car and I'm very happy with it. I get a little lower gas mileage than you with the AWD but it does much better than the G8 ever did. I bet the snow tires make a big difference in the snow, but with AWD I don't need them since it's like I'm driving on bare pavement.

I don't miss the G8 at all and that little turbo 4 moves the car along with authority. I'm gonna get a Trifecta performance tune which will give me well over 300hp at the crank so that should keep me content until they make a CAI and downpipe for the 2014. Thanks for posting pics of your car that's a nice looking Regal you got there!

How did you get adaptive suspension I thought it was only available on the GS model? That's one thing I wish I had.

Originally Posted by RedArrow24
The grass is always greener, OP. After 7 years in my 98 TA, I went through 4 cars in two years and I thought I was happy not having to drive that old Pontiac around... then someone traded a G8 GT into my dealership and I came running back from Infiniti. If you're financing that thing, I just hope it keeps you satisfied long enough to pay it off.
I don't miss the G8 at all except for the sound of the V8. The power is a little less but I'll take care of that in the near future. I like everything about the car it has so many nice features that the G8 didn't have. It seemed like everyone wanted to race me all the time where as the Regal is more of a sleeper so I like that. I always wanted a Cadillac but this car has all the same options with a much lower payment.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Danno it's good to see another satisfied Regal owner. You're right it is an awesome car and I'm very happy with it. I get a little lower gas mileage than you with the AWD but it does much better than the G8 ever did. I bet the snow tires make a big difference in the snow, but with AWD I don't need them since it's like I'm driving on bare pavement.

I don't miss the G8 at all and that little turbo 4 moves the car along with authority. I'm gonna get a Trifecta performance tune which will give me well over 300hp at the crank so that should keep me content until they make a CAI and downpipe for the 2014. Thanks for posting pics of your car that's a nice looking Regal you got there!

How did you get adaptive suspension I thought it was only available on the GS model? That's one thing I wish I had.

I don't miss the G8 at all except for the sound of the V8. The power is a little less but I'll take care of that in the near future. I like everything about the car it has so many nice features that the G8 didn't have. It seemed like everyone wanted to race me all the time where as the Regal is more of a sleeper so I like that. I always wanted a Cadillac but this car has all the same options with a much lower payment.
Its been a good car and when I got it beginning of last year got an awesome deal and great cpo warranty. My wife drives it most of the time but I try to steal it as much as possible

Adaptive suspension was available on the 2011's, although fairly rare. I think you had to have a T07 car built in Russelsheim. The option seemed to disappear after. Similar to the GS, it has a sport and cruise option. Default settings are somewhere in between.
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...ad-28648_1.jpg

When you hit sport, the dampening feels twice as firm, throttle tip in is stronger, and the steering wheel tightens up about 20% (which by default is too light, but responsive). I was thinking about a trifecta tune as well, its like an instant 50-60rwhp in this trim. But have delayed since I still got another toy to mod.

I did test drive an automatic model and to me didn't have the pizzazz, still nice but given the choice it was easy. Something to be said about running through the gears with the window down and hearing that turbo whine just a little, then realizing what your driving that makes it fun. The new Awd's are suppose to be nice, they use the Haldex system which is proven, but of course only automatic. They are easy cars to live with everyday and come with a ton of options and features you only see in lux brands, pretty nice entry lux car.

A little backstory, I did test drive a Lacrosse CXS, its a boat compared to the regal. You "drive" the regal ,the lacrosse is like piloting a ship, a very plush ship although. I also cross shopped Caddy's, CTS's specifically. Honestly you pay a lot more for the Caddy and I just didn't see where the extra money went. Almost pulled the trigger on a CTS4, but when I found the current car I couldn't resist and don't regret it a year later. The Regal came with a lot more options as well. Ever since GM was thinking about bringing the Insignia platform over I was interested in them.

Car should treat you well. You know I always wanted a G8 GT too, but prices on those just stayed up forever. Plus combine that with mpg and my wife driving it in the snow belt I never got a chance to honestly pursue it. I also need a 4x4 truck/suv so I generally DD that. I do love em' though being a Pontiac nut.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did a little digging and the GS came out in 2012, so now I see why your car has the adaptive suspension since the GS didn't exist in 2011. My car has the same motor and power output as the GS so I can see why you thought the automatic in the base Regal was a bit lame.

One of the main reasons I got the Regal was for the AWD so I didn't have an issue with it being an automatic trans. I had quite a few manual cars and that's not very appealing to me for a daily driver.

I originally wanted a 2009+ CTS-V but realized like the G8 it wouldn't be a good car to drive in the winter. I read about the ATS turbo 4 with AWD and went to look at them but they were way out of my price range, so I test drove the Regal and got that instead.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

I did a little digging and the GS came out in 2012, so now I see why your car has the adaptive suspension since the GS didn't exist in 2011. My car has the same motor and power output as the GS so I can see why you thought the automatic in the base Regal was a bit lame.

One of the main reasons I got the Regal was for the AWD so I didn't have an issue with it being an automatic trans. I had quite a few manual cars and that's not very appealing to me for a daily driver.

I originally wanted a 2009+ CTS-V but realized like the G8 it wouldn't be a good car to drive in the winter. I read about the ATS turbo 4 with AWD and went to look at them but they were way out of my price range, so I test drove the Regal and got that instead.
Yeah you'll be happy with it I think. I like the looks of the ATS, but its a bit smaller than the regal. ATS back seats are useless, Regal back seats are comfy with good leg room, ceiling is a little low if you are over 6ft. I do like the ATS as well and actually pricing on the used 2.0 turbos is pretty decent. But there are pros and cons depending on needs.

http://driving.ca/cadillac/ats/revie...illac-ats-2-0t

Your right with the new motor (LTG) there is really not much of a difference anymore over the GS since output is equal (I wish they didn't lower it though), looks, hyperstrut, and wheels, bout it. They do look cool though. I'd argue the non GS a better daily and long term car though. My current car motor (LHU) was the same as the pre 14 GS, but they lowered the boost essentially. (Hence why the tune is tempting). I don't see me modding this car at all other than a tune and maybe a short throw. Stock for Stock I'd pit it up against an old 3800 S/C, which is neither fast or slow.

Oh and when I test drove the comparable automatic I did some more research after. The TQ management in the auto is ridiculous that year. Mags posted nearly a 1 sec difference 0-60 as compared to the stick. Plus I'm not gonna lie, something just cool about a manual in a Buick I couldn't pass up with something like 7% produced that way in non-G's trim in the US.

I'm enjoying it, hope you do as well. I just plan to have us drive it a lot.
They did a nice job with the taillight redesign on the newer cars as well.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Um, that spec sheet was an interesting read. Read every word....

It sounds like you are trying to convince people and possibly yourself that your Buick is a good car. Which I'm sure it is. But aside from mediocre looks, it just not a V8 RWD car. And you are on a V8 RWD based website. I considered getting one of those for my wife when they came out, but i wouldn't drive one. To each his own.

Not sure what your suspension problems were or why they couldn't be fixed. Were you doing this yourself or were you taking it somewhere. Could - COULD - make a biiiiiiig difference.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Um, that spec sheet was an interesting read. Read every word....

It sounds like you are trying to convince people and possibly yourself that your Buick is a good car. Which I'm sure it is. But aside from mediocre looks, it just not a V8 RWD car. And you are on a V8 RWD based website. I considered getting one of those for my wife when they came out, but i wouldn't drive one. To each his own.

Not sure what your suspension problems were or why they couldn't be fixed. Were you doing this yourself or were you taking it somewhere. Could - COULD - make a biiiiiiig difference.
Not sure what your hinting at on the spec sheet? Honestly that link was the first thing google came up with when I searched "Regal vs ATS". Both cars came up in conversation so that's why I mentioned.

I personally love rwd V8's and I'll always have atleast one. I like lots of cars, and I'm one of the biggest LSX fanboys you will find. Sometimes what we want and what we need are different things. I like G8's, arguably the best car Pontiac made (I mean Holden ). A G8 may not make the best daily driver, hell my Trans Am is a horrible daily driver as it sits, but I wouldn't trade it for a Regal (I would if it was my only car, having no choice). Having to give up a G8 for a turbo Regal is not all negative, you sacrifice some things to gain in others. Plus I don't know the OP's circumstances, but I'm sure he has his reasons, he could have done much worse is my only point.

I figured you might get your *** chapped a little trading in a G8 for a Regal, obviously mentioning it here, but in all honesty the Regal is a pretty solid choice in the segment. A segment that is just different from that of the G8, which in my opinion is a leader in the muscle/performance sedan segment, even still today and would likely be my fist pick if I were looking for a car like that.

He had an Apple and bought an Orange, bother are good in different ways. I wouldn't even dare to say one was better than the other as a blanket statement. I hope he has good luck with his car, I really like mine and like it the longer I own it. It feels like its encroaching on cars like 328's, A4's, IS350, which is good move for GM to try and work that segment, their first real honest attempt, but a very hard battle.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Is it me and I'm missing something but to me it's a pretty steep downrade from a G8gt to a 4 banger Buick? Then again I'm 25 lol, no not digging the Buick but more power to you. Maybe in another 25 years I might look into something along those lines but it is rwd V8 for me all day. Just my .02
Old 01-29-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Yeah you'll be happy with it I think. I like the looks of the ATS, but its a bit smaller than the regal. ATS back seats are useless, Regal back seats are comfy with good leg room, ceiling is a little low if you are over 6ft. I do like the ATS as well and actually pricing on the used 2.0 turbos is pretty decent. But there are pros and cons depending on needs.

http://driving.ca/cadillac/ats/revie...illac-ats-2-0t

Your right with the new motor (LTG) there is really not much of a difference anymore over the GS since output is equal (I wish they didn't lower it though), looks, hyperstrut, and wheels, bout it. They do look cool though. I'd argue the non GS a better daily and long term car though. My current car motor (LHU) was the same as the pre 14 GS, but they lowered the boost essentially. (Hence why the tune is tempting). I don't see me modding this car at all other than a tune and maybe a short throw. Stock for Stock I'd pit it up against an old 3800 S/C, which is neither fast or slow.

Oh and when I test drove the comparable automatic I did some more research after. The TQ management in the auto is ridiculous that year. Mags posted nearly a 1 sec difference 0-60 as compared to the stick. Plus I'm not gonna lie, something just cool about a manual in a Buick I couldn't pass up with something like 7% produced that way in non-G's trim in the US.

I'm enjoying it, hope you do as well. I just plan to have us drive it a lot.
They did a nice job with the taillight redesign on the newer cars as well.
I did notice the ATS was smaller and the wheels/tires looked out of proportion to the rest of the car. It's like they shrunk the CTS and didn't get it right. I didn't like the G8 style front suspension which gave me a lot of problems on mine, plus the dash center stack looked too plain compared to the Regal. My center stack looks much different than yours and the touch screen is 8" like in the GS model.

The AWD Regal has the front hyperstruts so it handles very well for a base suspension. The auto trans shifts well in manual mode so I can spool that turbo up and it really pulls hard in the high RPM range. I do like the redesigned LED tails and the headlights are redesigned too. I'm really amazed how well the car rides yet it handles better then the G8 did.

Originally Posted by Fast02Z06
Is it me and I'm missing something but to me it's a pretty steep downrade from a G8gt to a 4 banger Buick? Then again I'm 25 lol, no not digging the Buick but more power to you. Maybe in another 25 years I might look into something along those lines but it is rwd V8 for me all day. Just my .02
So because the G8 has rear wheel drive and a V8 the Regal is a steep downgrade? Let me correct you and it's been said here by many, the Buick is much nicer than the G8 so it's an upgrade in my eyes. As far as options the G8 is base model compared to the Regal. Heck it didn't even have bluetooth let alone all the other features the Buick has.

Rear wheel drive sux in the snow and in the rain too which is why i got tired of the G8. With all wheel drive the Buick will hookup in any road conditions and it's lighter than the G8 so it takes less power to move it. Plus it's much cheaper and easier to make lots of power with a turbo than a normally aspirated motor.

It would cost $5000 or more to get 100hp with the G8 (cam/headers/tune) but with a turbo you just add a $400 meth/water injection kit and turn up the boost. The Regal already has stainless headers so it just needs a high flow downpipe and a good tune and it'll be much faster for a lot less money.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

MY wifes car is a 2013 ATS 2.0 turbo that we leased new. It's a piece of crap and it's doubtful I will buy another 4 cyl Gm car in the future.

Ton's of recalls

Car heat soaks after it warms up. Dealer thinks I am crazy but 0-60 in 8.2 seconds is not what I signed up for. We will see what Gm does for me as I have talking to Cadillac customer service.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wicked_C5
MY wifes car is a 2013 ATS 2.0 turbo that we leased new. It's a piece of crap and it's doubtful I will buy another 4 cyl Gm car in the future.

Ton's of recalls

Car heat soaks after it warms up. Dealer thinks I am crazy but 0-60 in 8.2 seconds is not what I signed up for. We will see what Gm does for me as I have talking to Cadillac customer service.
It must be a Cadillac issue, the Regal runs strong and everything works as it should. Maybe it's the fact that the turbo is in the front of the engine bay on the Buick and the intercooler doesn't get heat soaked since it's on the back of the motor. That's the only difference between your car's drivetrain and mine.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

It would cost $5000 or more to get 100hp with the G8 (cam/headers/tune) but with a turbo you just add a $400 meth/water injection kit and turn up the boost. The Regal already has stainless headers so it just needs a high flow downpipe and a good tune and it'll be much faster for a lot less money.
This is the one thing I would be careful arguing.

For making power and going fast a G8 most certainly has the advantage.
Aftermarket support for the Epsilon II platform is very weak in comparison. Overseas maybe a bit more but they used a completely different powerplant in the Insignias.

Check out the Buick forums. There are some guys making claimed 400hp, these guys end up running 13's. I don't know much about the AWD's but the fwd cars are real hard off the line and the torque and power under the curve still doesn't match the G8.

These ecotech 2.0 are fairly stout, the cobalt guys have shown what they can do, still the Regal probably weighs as much as the G8 w/ awd. As I mentioned before I'd say the turbo regal is about as fast as a 3800S/C car stock for stock. So your talking 14.5-15 to start.

If you intention was to go fast with 4 doors the G8 is a better choice. Regal's are just fun and sporty, they are quick enough but I wouldn't label one a fast car.

Regarding mods, without swapping turbos you are looking at a downpipe and tune. I don't like at all how these cars sound with a DP, particularly catless. But yes between the 2 you will see an easy 50+rwhp gain, which may barely get you running with a stock G8GT. This will plateau out real quick with how far you can go. The regal excels in a lot of other areas, but this is one area compared to a G8 it does not. They are such very different cars.

But for guys who would never give Regal a 2nd look, I'd implore them to check one out next time they are looking for a comfy sporty daily. Get a turbo model with suspension or a GS and take one for a ride. It rides on one of the best chassis GM has ever put together and is overall a quality car for the money. It may surprise you, its a very likable car and nothing that resembles the old moniker. Its a well rounded above average car that offers some fun, at it's core it attempts to compete with the cars I mentioned early and none of those cars are fast either.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye G8 GT