Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Ebay Racing seats installed in the G8. No brackets needed. No air bag light on

Old 02-27-2015, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ebay Racing seats installed in the G8. No brackets needed. No air bag light on

Ok....so I bought a set of the $200-250 racing seats on ebay. I figured I could make them work regardless if there are brackets for them or not. Removed the drivers seat which is a bit of a chore. The drivers and passenger side seat are both electric with full tilt and control. Since no brackets are made for the G8's I decided to modify the factory brackets.
The racing seat mounting bolts on the seat are shorter in mounting length than on the factory by 3 1/4". I made 4 metal brackets 5.5" long x 1/4 steel for the front bolts with swivel. Drilled the holes in the brackets to accommodate the length between the factory bolt holes and the new seat mounting bolts. 3 1/4"difference. Factory length is 15" and the new seat is 11 3/4" length from bolt to bolt.
Airbags....I removed them from both seats. Pretty easy to do. By the way....the airbags have Arabic written all over them. I extended the airbag harness on both airbags and mounted them in the trunk in the even of an accident they go off back there.
Seat belts are still there and so is the wiring. I did not retain the heaters for I'm in texas and they are not needed.
All wiring in the passenger seat will need to be retained for the airbag system will not shut off if you don't remove it from the seat.
all looks factory,all power seats work great!!!
Oh...rear seat bracket. 1 modification needed. A piece of 1 1/8"×1"x1/8 " thick needs to be extended on to the factory bracket and welded on for the after market seat is about an inch wider than factory and there is not enough bracket left on the factory seat to drill the new holes for.
Figured I would share this with you guys cause no one else will. That and the factory seats where worn out and flat feeling. I don't feel like I saved weight cause I kept the factory seat bracket which is 70% of the weight.

Last edited by ZEX-Z; 02-27-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:01 AM
11 Second Club

Oh...and the Air bag weight pad sensor and module need to be removed from the passenger seat. The air bag weight pad sensor can read how much weight is in the passenger seat to determine if the airbag needs to be activated and if the passenger seat belt is needed. I just rolled up the pad and tucked it under the passenger seat and plugged it back in.
So Ebay racing seats will fit. 1-10 I would give them a 8.5 for comfort. 10 for looks and say this mod is well worth it.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Looks good how much lighter are these seats ?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:21 AM
11 Second Club

Since I reused the factory track's,I didn't save any weight. Believe it or not the factory seats are light as hell without the airbags in them. I'd say I saved 10 lbs total between the 2 seats.
If i would have went with a side mount bracket kit I would have saved over 60lbs or more in weight I think. Those tracks are at least 30 lbs or more a piece. But the floor board would have been visible and I would not have a clean install. These mounted look like the factory mounted seats doing it this way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ebay Racing seats installed in the G8. No brackets needed. No air bag light on