Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Calling all G8 experts, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Calling all G8 experts, need advice

While I wait for the admin to approve me on the g8board forum, I figure I can get some knowledge here too as well.

I found a 09 g8 gt for sale, black with black leather. No sunroof, aftermarket wheels, 56k on the odometer. Asking 9k. How can this be ?! Easy, it has a Minnesota savage title. The thing is the only damage I see on the car from photos is front bumper, driver side fender, and the air bag went off so it needs a new steering wheel. I called the dealer (90 min away from me) and he confirmed that is the only damage on the car, no frame damage or suspension damage. Does this sound right that it can be totaled from just that? I know they are expensive to repair and hard to find parts for but that just seems extreme. Interior looks real clean as does the exterior other than the damage mentioned of course. Also I've read about lower control arms being a common problem, along with door locks, any other issues I should be on the look out for?
Old 01-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumpers are 1k OEM before paint. Then fenders are close to 400 i think new. Keep in mind hopefully the subframe isnt tweaked, lower control arms are junk or bent, doors all open and close fine with no binding. Airbag cover OEM with airbag will cost over 400 easily. IMO the car isnt worth more than 16-18k with clean title.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Sadly, it doesn't take much to total a G8 if it's in an accident. The factory mufflers for the GT list for over $1K EACH, google part number 92207803 and see. I've seen a few G8s with relatively light damage with salvage titles due to part expense. That may or may not be the case here.

The lower control arms are one of the biggest issues you'll run into. However, GM recently extended the warranty on them to 10yr/120k miles so no worries there.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, and although the LCA problem is common, we haven't had any issues with ours (yet) at 45k. If you could get the car put together and in good shape for 12-13k that would be good value.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't touch it. My wife drives a G8 and it is an awesome car in every aspect. Except that it's hard to get parts for it due to the low volume of them out there. I wouldn't ever get into a salvage car for any reason, but especially so with a G8. Do you want to buy a migraine headache for $9k?
Old 01-30-2016, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

Can get crap loads of parts for them from Downunder.. I have a full set of LCAs and subframes just sitting around, no one wants them here, not hard to find.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KIWI
Can get crap loads of parts for them from Downunder.. I have a full set of LCAs and subframes just sitting around, no one wants them here, not hard to find.
Problem with that is that the OP in located "upover" in Minnesota.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

You need to check for evidence of water intrusion. The back door panels are famous for having the sealant on the plastic barrier fail. Easy to fix but aggravating a modern car would have this issue. Also, the headliners like to develop issues.

As others have stated insurance companies will total these cars pretty fast since the repair costs are fairly high on these cars. If you are good with a wrench and want a 4 door hot rod, go for it. Just realize going into it you will most likely not get anything near what you put into it. Also realize any G8 specific parts like say a cabin air filter can be expensive if you do not shop around. When I replaced mine Advance Auto wanted $80+. I found mine on ebay for $29, which is still high but cheap compared to the parts store. Anything that is engine/trans related should be easily found since GM stuck that combination in other vehicles.

Since this is a GT it will have DOD and sometimes the 6.0's have issues with that as well.

The front buckets tend to get hard as the padding in them doesn't age very well. Also sometimes the plastic trim on the front buckets, particularly the drivers side likes to crack.

My 09 GXP has been fairly reliable but has had some of these issues. Holden is not known for having durable interiors, go look at the GTO's. Mechanically it has been solid, requiring nothing but oil changes, tires, and a new battery last summer.

Just go into this with your eyes wide open if you want the car.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Great information! Thank you guys, I am good with my hands and anything that can be done in the garage is where it will be done, aside from painting. So I'm not worried about labor. I'm actually in CT, car is in NJ but from MN. I wonder if GM will still cover the LCA's even with a salvage title? That might be worth calling them about.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Teching In

I'll dig out the letter I received from GM regarding the LCAs. I do remember it said 10yrs/120k miles from date of in service. I wouldn't think a salvage title would make a difference, but that could depend on the attitude of the dealer you go to for service.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Chassis-Suspension_c107.htm

There are quite a few aftermarket parts, some of which I have listed at the link here, that would enable a person to upgrade the suspension/chassis of a wrecked G8, and make it stronger at the same time. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Calling all G8 experts, need advice