Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Hard start after rebuild/cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Hard start after rebuild/cam swap

Recently finished a complete engine rebuild after noticing wear on the cam bearings during my cam swap and DOD delete. At first the car wouldn't start at all, but now it starts but it starts really hard. Seems to be getting better but I don't know how that could be. It was throwing a cam position sensor and crank sensor code so I replaced those sensors and it's still show the cam position sensor P0341 code.

Anyone have ideas what could be the problem? Car runs fine after it's started, just hard to get it to start.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:34 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ever get this figured out? I just did the DOD delete with a LS3 cam and the same is happening to me. It struggles to start and then I get a code P0016; however, it seems to run fine. When I clear the code it starts fine, but then the subsequent starts are hard.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haven't figured it out yet. I'm getting the 0341 code still. I'm about to put a new cam position sensor plug/harness on it to see if that helps.

Did your timing set seem to have a lot of slack in it?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:20 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't say mine had a "lot" of slack, but it wasn't as tight as I envision a new set being. With that said, I reused my timing chain/gears that had 118k miles.

I did, however, remedy my issue... but pulling everything apart, lol. I must have been a tooth or two off because I lined the gears up perfectly and put it all back together. It's been fine since. I'm still getting a little more rough of a start the second time around, though, but it runs great and hasn't thrown a code. I need to get retuned; maybe that will help with the hard start.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the wrong cam gear, just went through this with my buddies car. You need the cam gear out of a 05 vette with the three bolt if you went that route. It will have the small blocks across from the timing mark. The car is looking for the marks for the position of the cam in relation to the stroke, so you have to crank it a few times and when it figures out where it is then it will fire up. Cam Gear should be $20 or so at the dealer and should be able to change it without having to take off the pump, just don't turn anything.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Have the wrong cam gear, just went through this with my buddies car. You need the cam gear out of a 05 vette with the three bolt if you went that route. It will have the small blocks across from the timing mark. The car is looking for the marks for the position of the cam in relation to the stroke, so you have to crank it a few times and when it figures out where it is then it will fire up. Cam Gear should be $20 or so at the dealer and should be able to change it without having to take off the pump, just don't turn anything.
That really sounds like my problem. I sure hate to go through that much trouble but it looks like I'm gonna have to. Is it possible it's costing me some power? My car doesn't seem to be making as much as it should be. Only went 8.38 @ 87 mph in the 1/8th with cam/headers/tq converter/tune.

Also, if I put a billet single row adjustable timing set on it, would it likely still have the hard start issue? I didn't degree the cam, just lined it up dot to dot.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I wouldn't say mine had a "lot" of slack, but it wasn't as tight as I envision a new set being. With that said, I reused my timing chain/gears that had 118k miles.

I did, however, remedy my issue... but pulling everything apart, lol. I must have been a tooth or two off because I lined the gears up perfectly and put it all back together. It's been fine since. I'm still getting a little more rough of a start the second time around, though, but it runs great and hasn't thrown a code. I need to get retuned; maybe that will help with the hard start.
Good to see you're getting it figured out.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say for 100%. Buddies car we changed it and then setup boost reference for the fueling and the fuel change seemed to make the difference.

I just pulled the pump, crank pulley and cover then pulled the bolts off the gear. As long as your valve train is intact you shouldn't be able to move the cam so you just pop on the new gear and go on your way. Was easier then I was expecting. Another 30 min to pull the radiator and I could have changed the cam if I really wanted.

If you got a question just shoot me a PM, usually don't drop in this part of the forum much.

Quick Reply: Hard start after rebuild/cam swap