Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Always wanted a G8!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Always wanted a G8!

Finally after 1st seeing the G8's and reading about them in 2007 and 2008. I finally have one. 2008 Ignition Orange GT. I love it. Bone stock... for now.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Congrats! I do like the orange color on G8's.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

handsome car
Old 01-15-2017, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Two questions:
1. Will 5th gen Camaro wheels bolt up, same bolt pattern?
2. Looking to get a larger trunk spoiler. Is the stock one held on with just tape or is it screwed down?
​​​​
Old 01-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Pontiacerator

1. Yes
2. Don't know. Have you inspected the underside of the lid for screws? I'd look but our car isn't here right now.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are about 45min from a big time G8 tuner. He did most my work and tons of other G8s. Tuning, Cam, Head work, you name it. Rick Crawford out of Hope Mills, NC.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Drumsbh
You are about 45min from a big time G8 tuner. He did most my work and tons of other G8s. Tuning, Cam, Head work, you name it. Rick Crawford out of Hope Mills, NC.
That's interesting to know. Does he have a shop in Hope Mills? Dyno? It will be a while before I start doing much to the G8. Mainly I want to up the cam but keep the DOD, headers, CAI, Camaro differential swap, and 1st things 1st ditch the quiet mufflers. Dropping my cammed Camaro off at Competition Auto in Spring Lake later this week to get dyno tuned.

Also, two more questions:
1. How prone are the DOD lifters to failing, how can you tell when they're bad? (SES light, or does it collapse and you can hear it?)
2. One of the accessories on the front of the L76 is making just a little noise from the pulley. I haven't really had a chance to look at it yet but is that a power steering pump? It's where the power steering pump is on my LS1 Camaro.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by JadXtreme
How prone are the DOD lifters to failing, how can you tell when they're bad? (SES light, or does it collapse and you can hear it?)
This is a known issue and a risk factor for every G8 owner. You will begin to hear a pronounced lifter tick that starts getting louder over time. That's when it is time to get into your motor and do a non-DOD valvetrain.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:26 AM
Staging Lane

One of the pulley's on the front accessories likes to make noise. You can go to the G8 forums and find one which one is the likely culprit, there are threads there about them. You can also get an automotive stethoscope (very cheap) and pin point if yourself if you can't figure it out.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

That's interesting to know. Does he have a shop in Hope Mills? Dyno? It will be a while before I start doing much to the G8. Mainly I want to up the cam but keep the DOD, headers, CAI, Camaro differential swap, and 1st things 1st ditch the quiet mufflers. Dropping my cammed Camaro off at Competition Auto in Spring Lake later this week to get dyno tuned.

1. How prone are the DOD lifters to failing, how can you tell when they're bad? (SES light, or does it collapse and you can hear it?)
2. One of the accessories on the front of the L76 is making just a little noise from the pulley. I haven't really had a chance to look at it yet but is that a power steering pump? It's where the power steering pump is on my LS1 Camaro.
Rick does everything, tuning, machine work, building big nitrous setups, supercharged setups, like I said everything. He does not dyno tune, he lives very close to the drag strip and only street/track tunes it. Hes all about useful power and rents the track out and dials in his cars.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the good looking G8.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:50 AM
On The Tree

Nice! Still looks weird to me seeing a these in a Pontiac guise.
I'd love a maloo ute one day!

Also the Gen5 diffs are exchangeable. Same spline counts and more options this way. Holden diffs are more expensive to build and less parts availability.
If you want any HSV parts or NZ/AU gear in future hit me up, I'm transitioning from a race car funding hobby to business with Holden/HSV parts.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I'd love a red GXP g8 with the manual but very hard to come by
Old 01-28-2017, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Welcome, Another Rick Crawford Racing customer here. Cannot say enough good about him. He has built like 7 the fastest G8s in the top ten list. Those Ignition Orange cars are rare. I have the numbers of how many they built somewhere.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you wind up getting in touch with Rick Crawford? I've tried a few different websites with no luck. I don't have a facebook so that isn't an option.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

I haven't tried yet. I don't have Facebook either. Too poor right now to do anything yet other than axle backs so I haven't tried contacting him. I'm gonna wait till at least have headers and CAI before getting it tuned.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Teching In

There are 9 years of G8 history over on the G8Board. I have been over there almost from the beginning. Every thing you could ever imagine has been discussed over there. Search is your friend. By the way the spoiler is screwed on.

There are few original owners left, many have moved on. The cars are now with second, third and forth owners and the crowd of owners has changed significantly now that there are many high mileage (affordable to teens) cars available. If you really what to learn about these cars, the knowledge is over there.

Last edited by DoUSail2; 02-12-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 AM

Good looking car for sure. Love the color.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two questions:
1. Will 5th gen Camaro wheels bolt up, same bolt pattern?
2. Looking to get a larger trunk spoiler. Is the stock one held on with just tape or is it screwed down?
​​​​
Congrats on the car. I love the orange, but the Missus wanted white for my choice.

1. Yes, 5th gen Camaro wheels will work. The stock tires will not. Most people use a 245/35/20 up front and 275/30/20 out back to avoid rubbing issues, especially on lowered cars.

2. MaverickMan sells a bigger spoiler. Two bolts on each side and just PULL CAREFULLY....Reach in and pull close to the pins. Most people will shear a few pins unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Always wanted a G8!