Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Thinking about a 09 G8GT, owners input requested

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about a 09 G8GT, owners input requested

I currently have an 04 GTO & have an 09 G8 GT I'm looking at buying & have a few questions before I buy.

It has 77k miles & seems to be a solid car.

What are the primary things I should look for?

What are the main issues with these vehicles?

Here she is...

Last edited by gtfoxy; 06-27-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The most common complaint is LCA ball joint failure which is covered by a 10 year/120k extended factory warranty. Upper shock mount bushing failure is also reported. Some owners have complained about a front end shimmy that they can't resolve. These cars have a lot of rubber in the suspension and when it rots out, problems ensue.

Lifter failure has been commonly reported due to the AFM/DOD setup. So the common wisdom is to beware of excessively noisy lifters on startup.

We are the original owners of ours (which looks identical to yours) and at 57k we have had no problems with it. I will say that the interior trim is somewhat sensitive to scuffing and wear and demands more upkeep than on some other cars. Others say the front end paint is prone to chipping, but we keep ours waxed and haven't seen an unusual amount of this.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input.

I've been reading about some of the things you mentioned.

The AFM has definitely been associated with issues. Have you disabled yours? If so, did mileage seem to take a big hit? I have to admit that's one area my HCI 6spd has pleased me. I average almost 19mpg & pull about 30mpg at 60, but it's a lot in how you drive it & gear selection.

This one does have some minor paint flaking on the front. The interior is in real good shape.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

According to most reports, disabling it really doesn't amount to much. It's in the lifter design itself. That being said, putting it into M6 does disable it, and saves one the often annoying drone that occurs when it kicks in.

Like I said, we haven't had any problems with ours. Maintenance has been limited to cleaning, detailing, and changing the oil whenever the light goes on. It's probably time to flush the coolant even though it's still crystal clear when I open the cap and inspect it.

I'll add that I was a diehard f-body guy and the decision to buy the car was my wife's alone. As the years have passed, however, I've grown to appreciate and enjoy it more and more.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I've got just over 60k on mine, and am the original owner. Not many problems. interior and paint are fine - front does chip from road rocks. Front shock tower mounts and lca balljoints are the only real problems w/ the car. DOD is the same across all gm, you like it or don't. Only had 1 problem with mine that I can think of - there was a pin in the shift mechanism that hits a microswitch in the shift console. It releases the key from the ignition. That pin fell out of mine and I couldn't remove the key. Was covered by warranty. Think I saw that one other time on grrr8. I do have an occasional shake up front - nobody knows where it comes from. Wheels, tires, brake rotors, wheel bearings, even drive shafts have all been replaced on these and never found a real cause. At this point it may be some aero condition.. It's very mild and normally only happens at a small speed range when it does.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 09 G8GT, owners input requested