Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Is the GXP really worth an extra $10K?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is the GXP really worth an extra $10K?

I have always liked the G8. I'm thinking about buying one. I have been looking around on the internet to check out the pricing.

I have noticed the GXP runs about $10K higher than the GT. Is it worth it?

I know the GXP has the LS3. what other differences are there?

Also what do I have to look out for or be aware of when looking at them.

Thanks
Craig
Old 01-09-2019, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ss performance
I have always liked the G8. I'm thinking about buying one. I have been looking around on the internet to check out the pricing.

I have noticed the GXP runs about $10K higher than the GT. Is it worth it?

I know the GXP has the LS3. what other differences are there?

Also what do I have to look out for or be aware of when looking at them.

Thanks
Craig
For as much as a gxp goes for you can get a ss sedan stick or auto . They are close to 30k maybe less now depending on miles . Much more reliable handle better and nicer interior a lot more car for the money
Old 01-09-2019, 02:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I think only the manual GXP's are worth the price increase, but at this point you may as well get an SS.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah after I made my OP I checked out SS prices. They are about the same as the GXP. I found some SS's listed for less than GXP's

If the SS handles better then it's pretty much a no brainer.

thanks for the feedback.

Craig
Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ss performance
Yeah after I made my OP I checked out SS prices. They are about the same as the GXP. I found some SS's listed for less than GXP's

If the SS handles better then it's pretty much a no brainer.

thanks for the feedback.

Craig
handles better , stops better , car parks it’s self and Parallel parks , heads up display, heated cooled seats the list goes on . Ask me anything you like i had one lol
Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

is it a milf magnet? the kind of milf who brings the kids with them? since it has a backseat
Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people on here really like the discontinued Pontiac styling though. If that’s the case and you don’t mind some hard work with and have some know how you can put the extra 10k into a gt and have a better car. Otherwise if your just looking for gm 4 door sedan yes like stated SS all day.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I don't get is the pricing on the SS.

I purchased a 2015 Camaro 1LE with 22K miles, two years ago, for less than SS's are going for that have over 60K miles. Same age.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Because Camaros are a dime a dozen. They’re everywhere. The SS along with the g8s are low production Australian machines and will most likely be collectors items one day.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

They only made 1829 G8 GXP's. I have one. It has the LS3 and if you get the M6 then the rear gear is 3.70 so it should provide a little bit more acceleration than a 5th gen Camaro since they came with a 3.45 rear diff in their M6 and they are of similar weight. Probably not enough to matter though in the real world. The GXP's get Brembo's on the front, I don't think the G8 GT's received those. Mechanically that's about the only difference. I believe the GT's with the 6.0 also have the DOD system so if you are wanting to hot rod the car that will be something to deal with.

I am the original owner of mine and I got it because having a 4 door with a 6 speed manual fit what I needed at the time plus I knew it was a low production run and possibly had value as a future collectible. I am still on the fence if it is ever going to be a very valuable collectible or not since just because its rare doesn't mean its desirable. Most of the GXP's that I have seen priced over $30k tend to be low miles (under 50k) and take quite a bit of time to sell. It is an acquired taste. You need to be aware that if it isn't a mechanical part then it will be harder than normal to source. So you have to want this vehicle. I have not seen any SS's for under $40k in my area but the ones that do come up for sale are pretty low miles. The SS's bring a high price as well since they only sold about 3000-3500 a year. Parts are going to be an issue for them as well very soon. They seem like really nice cars and a bit more refined than my GXP, interior wise.

All G8's were built virtually the same. The only option IIRC was the sun roof, V6, 6.0 or the 6.2 and TR6060 trans on the GXP. The 2009.5 models came with blue tooth and a rear seat cup holder. Overall they are good cars but have the typical Aussie interior durability issues like the GTO had. Also the clear coat likes to die on these things. There are some other historical issues that you can research as well.

Of course I will tell you to buy a used GXP because I have one and may sell in the future, but you need to ask your self why you want and are you willing to drive it? They are a lot of money to just sit in the garage but body and interior parts are getting hard to source.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

You’re paying for the GXP tag on it, they are basically only sought after as collector cars for the most part now days in the same way as the CETA’s are.
With that said it’s only worth it for the 6 speed ones!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I keep an eye on GXP's with an idea to sell both my DD A4 Formula and wife's G8 GT and get one for myself. But I know I can mod our G8 to perform much better than a stock GXP for much less than the $10,000 price differential. Then again, it will never have the cool factor of an original GXP.

As stated above, I agree that an SS has many improved features that trump the GXP, but the Pontiac styling is far superior, IMO.

And so I go round and round ...
Old 02-07-2019, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I prefer the styling of the G8 over the SS, but I may be biased. When I bought my GXP every stick shift SS I saw for sale cost $10k more. I have no regrets with my purchase. I drive it to work sometimes. I trailer it to races sometimes. And it still makes me smile every time I look at it.

If you're buying it because you want a GXP, it's worth it. If you're buying it just for performance... maybe not. One day of the last LS Fest a guy next to me in the Autocross grid had a G8 GT that he bought for $8k with a salvage title. He had a few bolt-ons vs. my stock engine. We were coincidentally running identical tires. He was within one second of my lap times.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Deleted

Last edited by Kevip; 08-11-2019 at 07:28 PM.