Test Drive.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Test Drive.....

http://www.g8board.com/08G8/

V8 time
We took a ride in the G8 GT. Let me tell you ..... do not be fooled by the Horsepower rating. This is a serious ride. Stabilitrack was left active and we were driving in a spirited manor. The roads were wet and the stabilitrack kept us moving forward. With the stabilitrack enabled and road conditions less than adequate, we experienced only minor wheel hop. The G8 GT packed with four passengers and the surprising part was that it got up and went like a bat out of hell. Keep in mind - turning off stabilitrack disabled the entire system, you are on your own. I know - it is not a LS3 or even an LS2. So its an L76. It still has 6.0 Liters of power. It does have great potential. Let me explain: you have a 6.0L Aluminum base (same as an LS2); you have an LS3 intake manifold. L98 (Baby LS7) heads - a great upgrade from LS6/LS2 heads. While its rated for 361 HP, if you ran 93 octane in it and the ECM was tuned for it I bet it would be very similar to an LS2. It does have AFM (Active Fuel Management). There is no light or notice when you are in "V4" mode - in fact I could not tell at all. It is rated for an estimated 15 city 24 hwy economy. If you really wanted to take the car to the next level you *could* upgrade to a slightly large camshaft.... assuming you would be able to disable and remove the AFM system and convert the upper cam sprocket to a 3 bolt design suitable for the E38 PCM.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

The active fuel management is an Editable table under HP Tuners for my 2005 GTO. It couldn't be too much different for the G8.

Add a cam & Eagle Crank to stroke it and you'd have my 416.

Last edited by cybernco; 01-15-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned

Thanks for the detailed review.

Another car borrowed from the folks down under. Hopefully the car will draw more people into considering the Pontiac line. I can't see it being a big seller. If you buy one please keep it. Recedntly there has been a rash of GT Mustangs and everything with a Hemi in it that folks want out of. These cars aren't worth half of what they sold for new. It sounds impressive to walk on a car lot and tell the STUPID sales associates you pay cash for all your cars so give me your best price now. Yes sir Mr. customer you're the boss.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cybernco
The active fuel management is an Editable table under HP Tuners for my 2005 GTO. It couldn't be too much different for the G8.

Add a cam & Eagle Crank to stroke it and you'd have my 416.
u can have "DOD" in the GTO?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Launching!

I think the G8 is a great pontiac ..

392 lb/ft of torque 361 hp running on regular grade gas?

This is 30thousand dollar vehicle that kicks some serious @ss...

Its a car you can drive to work and not be considered a kid racing etc...and yet the car is sophisticated and fast.

Four doors for the family travel needs...ie...car seat in the back without wrenching your back getting the kid back there as was the case with the gto..

This should be a big seller for pontiac.

Great product.. IMO

Quick Reply: Test Drive.....