Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 GT or CTS-V (1st Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G8 GT or CTS-V (1st Gen)

I am looking to buy a new (to me) car in the next month or two and a used CTS-V was on the top of my list but lately I have had a growing interest in the G8. I did a side by side comparison between the two last Sat. but did not get to drive either. The G8 is a bigger car with significantly more interior room and the interior styling is a little nicer. Is there anyone here that has bought a G8 GT and has spent time driving a CTS-V that could give a comparison between the two?

Last edited by racerns; 04-09-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racerns
I am looking to buy a new (to me) car in the next month or two and a used CTS-V was on the top of my list but lately I have had a growing interest in the G8. I did a side by side comparison between the two last Sat. but did not get to drive either. The G8 is a bigger car with significantly more interior room and the interior styling is a little nicer. Is there anyone here that has bought a G8 GT and has spent time driving a CST-V that could give a comparison between the two?
I'm in almost the exact same boat as you...thinking of both, but I won't be doing anything for about a year, so the GXP should be out

Anyways, after doing some reading, it sounds like the CTS-Vs rearend is pretty weak.

On the other hand my wife is scoffing at a $30k car (I didn't tell her about the GXP) I mean I'm willing to give up the corvette when we have kids....but I'm not going to go to a boring car (like an Accord or similar as she suggested).
Old 04-09-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

What do you value more? Having a brand new car or having one that's faster with a M6?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 20SS07
What do you value more? Having a brand new car or having one that's faster with a M6?
G8's won't have an M6 until the GXP model comes out. All you can get now is the A6. Even with the A6, all you need is a tune and you'll be knocking on high 12's door. Exhaust and tune will be 12's. Not to shabby for a 4 door saloon if you ask me.

Oh, I'd go for the G8 myself.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

I say G8, better interior, updated suspension and rear, probably better over all car. now if it was the new cts - v then hands down the cts-V.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
G8's won't have an M6 until the GXP model comes out. All you can get now is the A6. Even with the A6, all you need is a tune and you'll be knocking on high 12's door. Exhaust and tune will be 12's. Not to shabby for a 4 door saloon if you ask me.

Oh, I'd go for the G8 myself.

Yea, I know, that's why I was referring to the CTS when mentioning the M6.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
I say G8, better interior, updated suspension and rear, probably better over all car. now if it was the new cts - v then hands down the cts-V.
Well if it was the new CTS-V, then you could buy 2 G8 GT's for the same price!

G8 GT gets my vote. They look a lot better than the CTS-V.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love CTS-V's I think they look way better. But all the same its a new car.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would do a G8, even tho its less powerful. I have driven a CTS-V a lot and ive sat in a G8. i honestly like bother interiors, but the G8 Interior seems to flow better. I also hear good stuff about the rear end of the G8 versus the CTS-V.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

I guess I am going to have to get a good test drive in on both cars to make a good decision. I agree that the CTS-V should be the better performance car from an acceleration, handling, braking stand point but the rear end is a problem with launching though I don't plan on much drag racing. The interior of the G8 has nicer styling but lacks some of the features (NAV, XM) that the V has. I am fine with the V's interior styling and don't hate it like some people do. As for the manual vs auto tranny, I would prefer the M6 though I can live with an auto. It is my wife who is pushing the auto. The car is going to be my daily driver and I will still have my Camaro as my "race" car. The G8 makes more sense as the "family" car because of the size. I will be carting around kids in it daily. Decisions, decisions, decisions....
Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Ive driven both, the CTS-V is no doubt stronger, but the G8 is a new car that everyone wants to see.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

g8 hands down,

looks better
cheaper
good power
Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
g8 hands down,

looks better
cheaper
good power
Cheaper, not really.
Remember I am looking at used CTS-Vs and they can be had in the mid to upper $20's K for the years and miles I am looking at. Most likely the G8 will be the more expensive option right now.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a G8 and a cts-v. I can tell you hands down the caddy is way better car . But I love the G8 it was $31,499.00 out the door my caddy was around $54,000.00. I like the 6 speed in the caddy.But I also like the 6 speed auto in the G8. The G8 is a little bigger. It also has a lot bigger trunk. The caddy seems to handle better than the G8 but I also have lowering springs on it. I think the brakes on the caddy stop the car better.The Interior in the caddy is a lot better it is more "Expensive feeling". If that is the right way to explain it. The G8 interior is nice but the leather seems like it is more "pleather" than leather. Thats what I call plastic leather.I do not like the displacement on demand at all. It is going to make it harder to mod the car because It is my daughters car. All in all the G8 is a great car but I think if I could buy them both used for the same price I would do the caddy hands down. Just my $.02

Last edited by U LUZ; 04-23-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the "harder to mod" point above, not true. Disconnect the DOD solenoids. Nuff said, straight V8. THEN you can cam it.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

I say just wait until GXP. Bigger engine, better suspension, 6 speed trans no DOD, better front seats. All problems solved.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
On the "harder to mod" point above, not true. Disconnect the DOD solenoids. Nuff said, straight V8. THEN you can cam it.
Well since its my 16 year old daughters car ask my wife if her car will be easier to mod than my daughters G8."She will kick my ***"..i think is how she put it. Belive me I want to ...
Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

You're giving your 16 year old daughter a 32,000 360hp car?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

No kidding! 16 years old getting a G8! I'm up for adoption!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by U LUZ
I have a G8 and a cts-v. I can tell you hands down the caddy is way better car . But I love the G8 it was $31,499.00 out the door my caddy was around $54,000.00. I like the 6 speed in the caddy.But I also like the 6 speed auto in the G8. The G8 is a little bigger. It also has a lot bigger trunk. The caddy seems to handle better than the G8 but I also have lowering springs on it. I think the brakes on the caddy stop the car better.The Interior in the caddy is a lot better it is more "Expensive feeling". If that is the right way to explain it. The G8 interior is nice but the leather seems like it is more "pleather" than leather. Thats what I call plastic leather.I do not like the displacement on demand at all. It is going to make it harder to mod the car because It is my daughters car. All in all the G8 is a great car but I think if I could buy them both used for the same price I would do the caddy hands down. Just my $.02
Thanks for the comparison. Since I started this thread I have had a chance to test drive both cars though not for an extended period of time. From a shear perfromance aspect the V is better but the G8 is not bad. Though I think the G8 with the right mods will be the better straight line car. I had the same feel about the interior quality of the V though I still like the interior and exterior style of the G8 better. The V could be "too nice" for me in some ways as I wonder what my 2 small childern would do to the suede inserts in the seats. At this point I am leaning towards the G8, as I put a deposit down to get first right at some coming in towards the end of the month but I seem to second guess myself every day, so who knows.

As for the GXP, it looks to be a bit out of the price range I want to spend right now.

Quick Reply: G8 GT or CTS-V (1st Gen)