Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Dave,
I'm 23 and just out of college with my master in 2 terms and have never owned a Firehawk F-Body or any of that. As I stand I'm currently debating what I want to purchase as my second car. The G8 GXP, CTS-V and 'Vette are on the list of stuff so I guess I might be in the market for the G8 Firehawk.

I like the fact that SLP is offering an after market performance vehicle with a full warranty. I'm not the greatest with a wrench and the concept of getting a top shelf vehicle with a warranty is great.

The problem I have with the name is purely business related. I've never owned a Firehawk so I have no emotional investment in the name, but I don't like I see being done with. The previous generation Firehawk owners paid you a premium for a nice car with a unique name. In turn you take the name and dilute it by tossing it on some entirely different car in the future, one with no link back to the F-Body 'Birds. So why on earth would I want to pay SLP for any kind of unique car when I know sooner or later your marketing department will bastardize what I paid for. I mean V6 4 door Sedan bearing a top shelf badge name, come on!

If anything I'd think you called it a GTX since the G8 is an expansion of the Grand Prix line. In the end though the G8 is an entirely new car and SLP had a chance to create a new product that stood entirely on its own merits. The fact that your product does not stand on its own, but rather leeches off the legacy of an entirely different line of vehicle suggests to me that SLP does not have confidence your G8 mod is strong enough to stand on its own.

-Carrick
Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed that there is a v6 being considered - that would dillute the Firehawk name for sure.

V6 would be taking it too far.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 10-01-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
The only person on that forum that knew months ago was the former president of the Firehawk Owners Association of America who also liked the idea.
I'm sure - it gives his forum new life. A no-brainer if you ask me.

And GM is chasing their tails in many regards, so I can't really say that they really know the demographic of this car either.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by epic
I'm sure - it gives his forum new life. A no-brainer if you ask me.

And GM is chasing their tails in many regards, so I can't really say that they really know the demographic of this car either.

It's not his forum and he has nothing to gain from it. I wanted an open honest opinion and I knew I could get that from Wayne.

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am the Director of Marketing and I am listening
Are you? That's not a dick comment either, it's just that you can't say you are listening and then say it's a done deal.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

I simply cannot wait to be asked why I put G8 Firehawk badges on my car. Great marketing idea. The car died, the name should die with it.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Are you? that's not a dick comment either, it's just that you can't say you are listening and then say it's a done deal.
They're listening, but they don't care. Dave has already pointed out F-Body users are not their target market. So if you hate it, what do they care?

If I had to bet they're aiming for the kind of people that like to buy large, powerful and somewhat expensive power sedans that are premade rather than heavily modding their own car.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
They're listening, but they don't care. Dave has already pointed out F-Body users are not their target market. So if you hate it, what do they care?
The problem here is that they SHOULD care and they DON'T. Saying it's a done deal is a real shitty way of saying we don't care. Plain and simple.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I just noticed that there is a v6 being considered - that would dillute the Firehawk name for sure.

I don't have a problem with the four door V8 Firehawk, but a V6 would be taking it too far.
Yeah especially if the V6 out performs base model V8s that aren't SLP massaged

I for one would like to see more V6 work, especially on the DI V6. GM worked on an L67 (Supercharged V6) F-body and sadly, it never came about. That would have been a nice option, but that would have been another niche market with little sales numbers. We'd have alot more 11 second and faster 4th gen V6 F-bodies than we do now if the L67 had been used.

SLP released a Firebird GT, but the moniker of G8 GT is already taken. Why not call the V6 the Phoenix or something like that?
LS1TECH Sponsor

Folks, this is not about dilluting the Firehawk brand or just slapping some decals on a car.

As sad as it is, there will not be another Firebird or Trans Am so that we can do a "Coupe" Firehawk. Once you get past that and understand that we are in the performance business and have a desire to make fun & fast cars, you can understand our business decision to use the brand recognition of Firehawk on the G8. It's the top of the line Pontiac in terms of performance and value, it's a no-brainer on which vehicle we had to use.

Regards,

David
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an obvious financial move to tap into the brand equity owned by SLP. I can't say I blame them (looking at it from a business perspective), BUT it's still not the right thing to do. Why not a G8 GTX like the previous gen Grand Prix?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

at least please tell us how you are going to differnetiate the heritage of the 2 entirely different cars moving forward so that every tom, dick, and harry car guy on wont be asking (as stated above)
y'd u put a g8 badge on ur firebird?
i think u owe the current, past and present owners an explanation
Old 09-22-2008, 10:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP

If I had to bet they're aiming for the kind of people that like to buy large, powerful and somewhat expensive power sedans that are premade rather than heavily modding their own car.

I'm listening and I do care. I'm a sponsor here, so I also have an obligation to respond to the masses.

That is exactly the target audience, folks who want performance but do not mod. CTS, Audi, BMW, etc.. the buyers who look at these performance vehicles but lean towards American Muscle is the buyer.

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

firehawk.org forums. The only person on that forum that knew months ago was the former president of the Firehawk Owners Association of America who also liked the idea.

Regards,

David
Let me put some things into perspective here. LS1.com is our nearest activity rival in the LS1 world, and we trump them on daily visitors. Firehawk.org isn't even busy enough to register anything but a flatline. Being a founder of this site and Firehawk owner myself, I'd say that I'm in a better position to reach a bigger audience and get you more feedback than the other sites combined. You could have just simply posted a poll at the early stages of this idea, and gotten FREE feeback by the thousands.

Graphics time:

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...6m&size=Medium

Also, I disagree with your statement about the aftermarket not using this site to gather feedback or test new products. We have always been known as a good place to check the pulse of the market and products. Anyone into LS engines knows about LS1Tech.com. Otherwise, we wouldn't have 150+ vendors and manufacturers present here on a daily basis. Otherwise GM Performance Parts wouldn't be using us to help promote their new LSX racing series. Come on Dave, this might be a website, but you can't deny our involvement in the industry or enthusiast community.

Tony
Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

SLP just looking to make a buck. I don't see the G8 even staying in production for more then 3 model years.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackTTC6
SLP just looking to make a buck. I don't see the G8 even staying in production for more then 3 model years.
That's an ignorant statement. The car is selling exceptionally well.

David, no one is saying not to mod the car for enthusiasts. By all means do your thing, but DON"T USE THE FIREHAWK NAME!!!!! That is all anyone is trying to convey to you. Make the car as fast as you guys want, warranty it, whatever, just leave Firehawk out of it.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some other notes...

President of the Firehawk Association thinking it's a great idea - One persons voice. Ask the entire community as a whole.

Some buyers may not care because they are fair-weather owners. They will just move on to the next big thing. Look at the GTO crowd for instance - many import owners who cream their pants over Acuras and BMWs. You won't be capturing a loyal buyer in that area.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not usually one to jump on the bandwagon but I have to on this one. I'm going on 32, the wife and I are at the point where we are ready to start a family and the lease on our Caddy is up in a few months. Fortunately my wife can appreciate a "performance" vehicle and the G8 is one of the options we have been looking at. We are also fortunate enough to be able to consider stepping up the model line and spending a few extra bucks on a top line model. I WOULD NOT consider a "Firehawk" G8 however. If for some reason I did the first thing I would do would be to remove the "Firehawk" monikers. It's absurd, and I can't help but think that some high level executive somewhere along the line totally mistook the incentive to reviving the name. We understand that we are only a small voice in the big picture, but as stated before we are the most dedicated and loyal spenders out there, and I own a Chevy!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta say even though I'm not a Firehawk owner, this is the dumbest damn thing SLP has ever attempted. Plain & simple. the true die hard Firehawk owners will not be pleased with this no matter what few fools you got to say that it sounded cool.

Like stated before, it's like callin a damn sunfire a Trans Am. It's just one of those things you don't do. The name was never gonna die, so thats a cheap excuse to bring back a proud name & slap it on a sedan for some more parts sales.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Launching!

So you're listening and you say you care, however you already said its a done deal. No offense or anything but how is that caring? No matter how many people object to this idea their opinion no longer matters. I'm sure this car will be great but it should not use the Firehawk name. I personally don't own a Firebird Firehawk but the guys that do just got BONED!

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss