Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Speed Shifting, I Need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Shifting, I Need Help!!!!

Ok I Have the power but the shifting ability of a 3 year old. My car puts down enough power to put it into mid 11's. (mods in the sig) The driver (me) can only seem to get it to a 12.3. I have been trying to learn how to shift without lifting off the gas. I will admitt I get nervious on the track but I seem to miss shift on alot of passes. Insteed of doing a fast punch on the clutch should i put it all the way to the floor keeping the gas down and move and try to get it down that way faster and faster. Please help with this.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Nobody can help with this?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only been 20 minutes since you made the first post.. Chill out.

It's something that just takes practice. How many passes have you made at the track?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06black6spd
Ok I Have the power but the shifting ability of a 3 year old. My car puts down enough power to put it into mid 11's. (mods in the sig) The driver (me) can only seem to get it to a 12.3. I have been trying to learn how to shift without lifting off the gas. I will admitt I get nervious on the track but I seem to miss shift on alot of passes. Insteed of doing a fast punch on the clutch should i put it all the way to the floor keeping the gas down and move and try to get it down that way faster and faster. Please help with this.
The way I learned to powershift really quick was practicing at a lower RPM untill I got it to where my RPMS wouldnt rise more than 100 or so RPMs untill I shifted.

Just keep pressure on the shifter, pulling/pushing towards your next gear even before you think about shifting (it wont pop out). Then just mash the clutch and relese, I doubt you need to PLANT it to the floor but a quick kick works well for me. If you get it quick, you wont even notice your RPMs going up whial your foot is on the gas and clutch.

Pactice makes perfect man... it could take a while
Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

got it, i have attempted it maybe maybe 7-8 times. The thing is my buddy told me about it. The first two times I tried it i went from my best of a 12.4 to a 12.3. I pulled it off twice in a row. I then wanted to get faster at it so I think I have been too fast on the cluch stab for my shift. I will try to keep presure on the shifter between shifts next. Someone told me that I could pull it out of gear premature, but ill give it a shot. I am going again this wend. I hope to get a 12.0 out of it before the end of the season up here
Old 10-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

You could pull it out of gear if your not a WOT, but when on the gas that thing is in there pretty good.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

So how much time can i save using this technique? 3..4ths?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

From my experience, just kick the clutch and let out slightly with the gas.....I mean, I gained nothing by keeping the gas down when I shifted just caused me to hit the rev limiter more often than not.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

No real need to keep the gas pedal down if you can physically be quick enough with both feet and your right arm. Just practice shifting faster using the clutch and gas pedal. Practice a little on the street if you have to, but be careful and I wouldn't drive any longer than the 2-3 shift on the street like that. You might get some unwanted attention or a big speeding ticket trying to reach teh 3-4 shift.

My first GTO was an '04 M6. It just had Kooks headers, high-flow cats, LPE intake, 160 degree thermostat, GMM shifter, and a semi-tune. On bald factory BFG tires I was cutting high 1.8 60' times, and ripping across the track with mid 12's consistantly. I shifted properly, just VERY quickly.

Get that launch down to a mid-1.8 60' at least (hot lap the car a few times if you have to so you can learn what works best), get the fast shifting down, and create some 11-second time slips!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andrew@MarylandSpeed
Get that launch down to a mid-1.8 60' at least (hot lap the car a few times if you have to so you can learn what works best), get the fast shifting down, and create some 11-second time slips!
+1 great coaching. I'd add that the lift and shift technique was a must for us in the early days of the 2004 when a full on power shift often resulted in tire spinning wheel hop and a worse time. Perdieu feels that powershifting is worth an additional 2 tenths but he is running a first class set of wheels and tires which is very important, probably more so than the shifting. On the other hand, here is a practice session, when you hit it the shift it sure feels good and sounds nice. JMHO

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30553159&hl=en
Old 10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Still did not get it down boys. The car still has a rubber hose on the clutch line, I ordered a steel braided one among alot of other things today. Also spend more money with you Andrew at Maryland speed!!! I did cut consistant 1.86-1.88 60's with the Nitto's but for the power the car makes I finally got drag bags and some Mickey's. I ran a 12.5 @ 96mph only running through 3rd gear, I think it is starving for fluid and the stock hose is making it really hard to shift it into 4th quickley. The first 2 shifts go pretty easily its just 4th that gives me a really hard time.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Long time no see man! Get yourself a set of MT Bias Plys instead of radials, unless you are going down to a 15" rim. you need to get your 60' down in order to get the time you are looking for.

Last edited by BoostedLT5; 10-26-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Powershifting an OZ700 clutch requires perfect bleeding of the master and slave. That clutch tends to grab a little lower than stock, so with ANY air in the system whatsoever, your attempt to speedshift will either be too slow or grind gears. After mechanical issues are sorted, it all comes down to practice. Also, make damn sure you can do the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts before trying the 2-3, as that is the one that can fubar some **** if it accidentally goes 2-1.
edit-- I just reread your sig. Heat wrap the clutch lines, as your longtubes are probably putting a lot of heat in the fluid.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

you'll get it eventually, ive been driving a M6 since july of this year, never owned one before and this is my third pass on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbd_oT77u-M
Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 PM
STF Veteran

The way I learned it is to power shift at low RPM's while driving around town. You need to build up the muscle memory and after enough practice runs you'll be able to do it at the track without worry. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RocketCutlass
you'll get it eventually, ive been driving a M6 since july of this year, never owned one before and this is my third pass on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbd_oT77u-M
Ya I got a braided clutch line for it with a remote bleeder for it. It is also heat wrapped, i will also be using motul for the clutch fluid as well, hey boosted, ya got the mickeys as well, next spring should be intiresting
Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

you can practice rowing the gears in the driveway, too. you dont HAVE to be driving to get that muscle memory down not as fun, but it works.

Quick Reply: Speed Shifting, I Need Help!!!!