Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GM misses the boat with GTO

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM misses the boat with GTO

Once again GM misses the boat. They have a awesome chance to steal Mustang sales with the GTO and put a price tag of 35K on the car. Yes they will sell,but nowhere near what they could sell. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: GM misses the boat with GTO

They will build 16,700. All will be sold. That is the total production capability. What did I/they(GM) miss?
Old 09-06-2003, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

For how long??????
Old 09-06-2003, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

The GTO is really built by Holden http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...y?vehicleid=12 of Australia (in Australia it is called a Monaro) and then they are imported to the U.S.A., due to certain rules and restrictions imposed by both the UAW & CAW unions only so many are allowed to be imported!

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=00114588

Kinda like if U want one buy it, and if G.M. sells enuff they will work out some negotiation with the auto unions to either import more or build them here!

Last edited by Orange Krush; 12-01-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They can't build more in Australia. They added the 3rd shift to build the GTO's and are maxed with their domestic (AUS), Arab, Europe and now US exports.

As far as building these state side. What plant? What cost for re-tooling? When? Domestic production is not really viable at this time.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

I thought it was 18k units. Thats 4k more GTO's than V8 2001 Camaros. wait until March or April and you will be able to get them for less than sticker. Anyone whopays a penny over Sticker for any Car is a fool.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Evil,

The latest numbers have been revised to 16,700. Most cars this year are spoken for. If you order today you will get a TPW of late March. I also agree that anyone paying over MSRP is an idiot. There are plenty of reputable dealers from whom you can buy this vehicle @ MSRP.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Teching In

I think it looks like kinda like a grand am, the looks of this car really don't impress me. Just bells and whistles.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to see it in person. MUCH and I do mean MUCH larger than a Grand Am. Think larger than a Monte Carlo. Think Z28 fast. Think Corvette handling. Think too late to get one this year.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:53 PM

I just saw the new GTO in a magazine, and like the way it looks. To me, it's akin to a Cavalier on angel dust with the mad max speed. I'm glad they decided to give the GTO a new personality instead of hanging on to yester year features. I hope to see some on the road course. I would like to know what they car weighs. I have no idea how big the Holden is. I do agree that sticking a ridiculous price tag to it is stupid. If it sells like hotcakes, I'd imagine that like the Miata the price will come down.

What's more I think it would be cool to see one of these in a type of "R" model configuration without the R model price tag, to compete against the R model Cobras. GM could really kick some massive *** here.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car weighs 3,725 lbs.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Teching In

The GTO was at the Detroit Auto show in Feb. Everyone just ripped on it too because it didn't look mean enough. But, it can compete w/ the Stang on everything (price - ouch) but seriously, GM needed a car with go power that also had a back seat for the kiddies. After all, the original GTO generation is the target group.

GM needs a cheap car under 20K that is all motor! Like what the Camaro and Firebird used to be before they got too good and pissed off the Vette people. Most street guys rip out the inside for less weight anyway so why spend the $ on an interior?
Old 09-20-2003, 01:54 AM
Teching In

"After all, the original GTO generation is the target group."

My first time on here, so please excuse my ignorance of how this works...But, on another web site Bob Lutz states that "they" want younger customers. Here's where you can find it: http://ultimategto.com/monaro10.htm I'm a traditionalists in styling, but if a car is fast, it's fast. Right? That's why I have a 01 TA.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Teching In

While it may be possible to get one for MSRP, you need to work at it. The third dealer I visited finally agreed to MSRP (first two insisted on more). I'm worried this will continue into the 2005 model year, because as cvp33 says, most 2004's are already spoken for, and there have been several posts by folks who say they are willing to wait a year. That means there will be pent-up demand for 2005's... before we even see what those hood scoops will look like on the 2005's!

Old 09-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Banned

You can rip on the GTO all you like but Bob Lutz is attempting trying to turn chicken **** into chicken soup as far as the GM line up goes. Lets face it GM doesn't offer a solid sedan RWD V8 6 speed. Doesn't look mean enough? So a all you want is a cavalier with a big *** body kit and you will be happy come on don't be queer. The GTO is next big thing for american cars.
PS why does everyone want non functional hood scoops (very gay.)
Old 09-21-2003, 06:45 PM

I agree with you about the nonfunctional hoodscoops. I'm a firm believer in form with function. I was impressed with the looks of it. I just hope that they will market it better than Ford did with the Thunderbird and the Mercury Marauder. GM and all automakers oughtta' give dealers that jack the price through the roof, literal hell by penalizing them in some way. I think the GTO will work. It's just that I'd like to see it be the GTO of today and not hang on to styling of the past, and do the GTO name justice by creating a real *** kicker (V8 LS1/LS6 rear wheel drive, IRS, stdrd or auto) make a real drivers machine.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. Fake hood scoops are like hood bulges on T-Types and GNX's. Useless and stupid. No one on NewAgeGTO or LS1GTO wants fake scoops. We got what we wanted:

LS1 Power, IRS and available 6 speed. And unlike the 'vette, we get to take 3 friends not just one.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

I hear that SLP will be coming out with a package for the GTO, likely modifying the exhaust and other bolt ons...but also appearance-wise. Maybe giving it some functional hood scoops and a different spoiler...

I don't remember where I read this...maybe HotRod or one of those mags...but I think it's obvious that SLP will have a hand in making the great one even better.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Could you imagine the price of these things if they were made in the states? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 09-30-2003, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why did GM give the GTO true dual exhausts and them make them exit out of one side??? That's my question.

Quick Reply: GM misses the boat with GTO