TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AWD Holden now out...

Looks like the Batmobile without fins!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

If they bring that here im buying it. Wonder what GM drive train they are running in it or maybe they stole some parts from Subaru.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like the Batmobile without fins!
Oh, so you like it then?

I mean, you were complaining the GTO lacked "style" but you like the Trans Am which has somewhat a resembling persona to the batmobile with it's wings, fancy body work, fins, big nostrils, etc. That has "style".
Old 10-17-2003, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

GM should of done somthing similar with the rear of the GTO.....I like the dual on each side look...
Old 10-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Banned

subaru is not an austrailian company ...i believe the AWD is their own...

Old 10-17-2003, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

subaru is not an austrailian company ...i believe the AWD is their own...

It could be there own AWD drivetrain but I was wondering if it could possibly be some parts from Subaru seeing as GM owns about 30% of that company and is already going to be using some of Subuarus parts in an up and coming SAAB.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Banned

fair enough
Old 10-17-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

No I dont like it, it looks like a ricer to me, and now it's got AWD (drivetrain nightmare). It might be fast off the line, but the simplicity is now gone. I'll admit that it will be fast off the line, but AWD is asking for trouble. I wonder what type of converter change you could make, and how the drive is actually controled. I assume that it just transfers power to the wheels that need it. Yep, were getting more and more like BMW's everyday. Soon all cars will cost the same, all go just as fast, and all look alike. Welcome the world of "the Jones" Mr. GTO.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Heck I sort of like that idea, it kind of makes me think about the possibilities with a setup dropped in similar to the twin turbo ls1 all wheel drive sonoma lingenfelter built and ran 10s with little tuning and a crapped out tranny. I bet you would still be able to use a yank or whatever convertor with the awd, it was just be a different style tailshaft on the tranny. And just to be safe on mods, I would drop in a 4l60e from an escalade or a 4l80e from a 3/4 ton pickup(4wd model of course)and after that was finished I would probably go nuts as far as mods go.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

AWD owns if you have ever driven in a WRX or new EVO 8 and had a good driver behind the wheel it can be a blast power sliding through turns. While AWD can be some what of a pain for drag racing for road racing and normal everyday driving its great. Reason why AUDIs two S4s have been handing every one their asses in the SCCA racing on Speed channel. AWD works. As far as it being ricey I would say it takes a more modernistic look which is something GM needs to look to if they stand a chance to stay competitive. While its great to have die hard GM fans, and old business saying goes "If you aint growing your dying" and GM needs to grow or face extinction.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Growing doen't necessarly mean better. Does growing mean sending all our work offshore and putting americans out of work? All it's about is money in the hands of the big guys. GM knows the market is fast ricer looking cars so it made one. More money for them, and less for you and me. Wake up.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Growing doen't necessarly mean better. Does growing mean sending all our work offshore and putting americans out of work? All it's about is money in the hands of the big guys. GM knows the market is fast ricer looking cars so it made one. More money for them, and less for you and me. Wake up.
Ok well put it this way as far as foregin competition goes look at it this way. Germans and Japanese offer a better product than GM does overall. If they dont start bringing up their quality they are gonna lose. You cant rest on your past accomplishments.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Well maybe not, but you could support the good old USA by buying American made products whenever possible. I really hate seeing us (the US) support the rest of the world. Personally I make it a point to buy American and you should too. Together we can make a difference. Bring it home.

It is sad to see all the big companies building factories in China, Tawian etc... just to cut cost to be competative. We should tax the shi* out of all import items and even up the playing field. Hell, in alot of those places they pay folks like a dollar a day. I'm sorry, but I believe in all for one and one for all!
Old 10-18-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe we can have this forums name changed to "Imports"
Old 10-18-2003, 09:03 PM
GRT
Teching In

Right on.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The union allowed them to make 18k in the hopes that this car will take off, at which point in the future a US plant would take over making the GTO.
As far as the 'US vs. imports' thing - I work in the Detroit area in the automotive business (electroplating to be specific) and approximately 1/2 our business is for Japanese transplants. Now if my company were to refuse to do work for these 'imports' there is a heck of a lot of Americans that will be out of work. Also, although my GTO will be built in Australia, the company is ultimately Pontiac - an American company. I previously have owned a Geo Metro - designed in Japan (the engine said Suzuki on it) built in Canada, but sold in the US for GM - what nationality is that car? And I tried the 'all-American' Saturn. It's a piece of doodie. I spun a rod bearing at 70K - with regular care and maintenance - no real abuse. Not to mention, there are so many rattles, they replaced a speaker at 10k miles because it rattled the wires so much they couldn't make the static go away. At about 20k it came back, but it was too frustrating to deal with so I have lived with it - the car has 140k on it now (yes, that means as many miles on my home rebuild as the factory original - and it hasn't started burning oil yet). A good portion of the reason I still drive it is that there have been no US cars worth considering purchasing until the GTO came out. Just because you think they should make the GTO some 'retro-crap' SSR or Thunderbird, Pontiac will easily find homes for the 18,000 cars coming over - and I hazard a guess most of them will be satisfied customers. And since you wouldn't be - I'm glad you aren't purchasing one. I'm curious exactly why you have so much angst against this car?
Old 10-19-2003, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

America has allowed "Japan" and others to "Own us". So now we are stuck in a trap that was designed by the "big money guys" and paid off politicians (like Bill Clinton). It didn't have to be this way. As for the car, make it in the US and I'd love to own one, but knowing big company thinking they wont want to retool just to give Americans their jobs. Look at what you just said, half your work is for Japanese transplants. I guess that means that we are now relying on the Japanese to support us. Go ahead and buy the car, but I believe that we have to take a stand. It is a loosing battle thou because most of America thinks like you now. If you think that the only way to survive is by going "Global Economy" then your wrong. At this rate in 10 years our manufacturing level will be zip. Hope your a good salesmen. But just remember, you can make a difference.

As you can tell I'm really pissed off about the way our economy has changed because of "Plant closings" due to the fact that offshore competition has driven many sectors "out of business". We let it happen, look at NAFTA and the effect it has had. I am personally affected by this and have watched my industry "electronics manufacturing" go from "Rags to Riches to Rags". I believe that the Clinton Administration did some real damage that may not be reversible.

I'm not a good salesman, I'm an engineer.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

And I tried the 'all-American' Saturn. It's a piece of doodie. I spun a rod bearing at 70K - with regular care and maintenance - no real abuse. Not to mention, there are so many rattles, they replaced a speaker at 10k miles because it rattled the wires so much they couldn't make the static go away.

My sister had a brand new saturn in 98 and it sucked after 3 months the head gasket was leaking and the god damn dash rattled all the time like a diesel engine. Saturn is utter crap.

DaleMX are you a Republican?
Old 10-19-2003, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All American huh?

Chevy Z28 - Made in Canada
Chrysler PT Cruiser - Made in Mexico
Chrysler 300M - Made in Cananda

Toyota's, BMW's and Hondas - Made in America

Seems as though buying "American Made" isn't as easy as you thought. Do you want only American Made, American Owned with no foreign interests? Don't put YOUR politics and beliefs on my buying habits and tastes. I will buy what I want. By the way, what kind of TV and stereo do you have?

Quick Reply: AWD Holden now out...