Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

true duals or straight pipe?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true duals or straight pipe?

firstly hello to you all, my names kyle i live in the uk, ive been lurking around this forum for a while now and decided to join......

my car is a 04 ls1 vauxhall monaro (pontiac gto or holden monaro) 330hp cv8 model.

the car has a true dual exhaust as standard with h pipes.

i removed the mufflers and now the car sounds like a tractor on idle but awsome on song.

im thinking of going single, with a y-pipe and a 3inch pipe all the way to a sports backbox.

the question is due true duals offer a power gain?

and how does a single pipe sound?

hope somebody can help me.......

cheers kyle
Old 05-13-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

honestly i'd run a xpipe that's what I plan on doing with spintech side exits...but I mean its your choice get on youtube start doing seraches
Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

there is a sound clip thread on ls1gto.com in the exhuast section. the corsa sport for the 04 is a y with a single pipe,and there are a few sound clips linked there.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Teching In

never seen a gto with a single exit pipe before... interesting..
Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its singel exit bit still daul exhaust

And you can run no mufflers but be sure to use a X pipe when you do that!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jcash
never seen a gto with a single exit pipe before... interesting..
the corsa system for the 04's is a single with a Y-pipe.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Teching In

so im right in thinking and x pipe will smooth out the flow, and get rid of the 'tractor' like idle?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

hey there k15! i have a 04 gto with the exact same settup you mentioned. i had it custom built for a custom sound. we took a 3" stainless steel pipe and made a y 4' from the headers, then we y'ed it into a single 31/2" pipe that runs over to the left exit. we took a dynomax muffler they are the only ones to make a full 31/2" inside diameter muffler. the sound is awesome. i have had more people walk out side and tell me my car sounds like no one elses. it will also be able to flow enough exhaust gasses to support over 1000 hp. when my son gets home i will have him make a video of the exhaust. if you will go to ableraceing.com you can see my exhaust as they were building it. all i can say is do it! you will not be unhappy. and you also get absolutely no drone when the windows are up. roll them down and crap it is loud. best exhaust i have ever had built. when you go to able's site, ask andrea to explain how and what he did. they are very good people... kerry!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

stay with the duals, get a good performance muffler they dont cost you any power with great tone...

Larry
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Teching In

stay with dual exhaust and get a x pipe..they sound better
Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

i'd have to agree with the x pipe and duals...
Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the replys guys.........as i said earlier would the x pipe get rid of the tractor like idle? im wanting more of a deep[ burble.

my duals can only go into one box, due to the fuel tank being over one side of the back axel as you can see in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails true duals or straight pipe?-snc00033.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

I have had a ton of different exhausts on my car. My favorite by far is the Corsa Touring. It comes with an oval tip that fills the bumper hole nicely. With your gas tank in the correct location (instead of trunk like us) you are limited to that driver exit. I have had magnaflow, Borla, SLP, Corsa, and Custom exhaust. The Corsa Touring would be the way to go. Now if you were going to go to a side exit then that would be a different story all together. Get your rear bumper filled and have your side skirts altered. That would be a sweet setup but would cost a good bit.

Good luck in your choice.

Also look for the 06 black tail lights, it will really set your IBM off
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ArklaTexan
I have had a ton of different exhausts on my car. My favorite by far is the Corsa Touring. It comes with an oval tip that fills the bumper hole nicely. With your gas tank in the correct location (instead of trunk like us) you are limited to that driver exit. I have had magnaflow, Borla, SLP, Corsa, and Custom exhaust. The Corsa Touring would be the way to go. Now if you were going to go to a side exit then that would be a different story all together. Get your rear bumper filled and have your side skirts altered. That would be a sweet setup but would cost a good bit.

Good luck in your choice.

Also look for the 06 black tail lights, it will really set your IBM off
thanks for the reply , ive considered side exits but i think would just be epic lol, i want to keep my eardrums......

il have a look at the touring but it seems an expensive option with the dollar/pound atm, plus theres shipping to deal with!!

its a real shame theres not much of a v8 scene in the uk, parts are so expensive, not to mention fuel.....

but they are a few of us who keep it going, also trying to figure out a custom true dual for my mates 99 camaro z28, but thats a different story!!

once again cheers guys
Old 05-21-2009, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by k15tox
thanks for the reply , ive considered side exits but i think would just be epic lol, i want to keep my eardrums......

il have a look at the touring but it seems an expensive option with the dollar/pound atm, plus theres shipping to deal with!!

its a real shame theres not much of a v8 scene in the uk, parts are so expensive, not to mention fuel.....

but they are a few of us who keep it going, also trying to figure out a custom true dual for my mates 99 camaro z28, but thats a different story!!

once again cheers guys
You could do side exits and still keep it relatively quiet. It is all about the muffler choices and or resonators. I assume over there with laws you are keeping the Cats. Do you have long tubes? It would be alot of work but it could be done and does look great. On a single exit I really do like the Oval exhaust from the touring. If you dont do the side exits I would go with that.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Launching!

I wouldn't recommend joining the exhaust at any point if you want a nice deep sound. Joining the exhaust will help with scavenging but if your blown it will not matter.

I had Corsa Sport on my 05 GTO but like the C5 Z06 titanium with no cross over better.

Anyone do true duals with Z06 titanium mufflers? I have a procharged CTS-V and put them on and really like them. Here is a video from an autocross and a mock up picture as I attached them right behind the cats.

Norm

Details on the build:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-v-less-9.html
Old 05-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

True duals > straight pipe.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Teching In

You may have gotten your exhaust already but incase you haven't this is what I have. And I think it looks the best for the 04's. My exhaust is the spintech catback with x-pipe.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 04GTODKH
You may have gotten your exhaust already but incase you haven't this is what I have. And I think it looks the best for the 04's. My exhaust is the spintech catback with x-pipe.

still havent got it! how have you got a backbox on the other side? i cant due to my fuel tank being there, i think in america your tank is located behind the axel for safety reasons?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Teching In

You are right, the 04 Vauxhalls had the fuel tank on the right side. Yes the US GTO's have the fuel tank right behind the rear seats. I can post some pictures from underneath and you can see what it looks like under there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: true duals or straight pipe?