Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Fuel Milage Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO
People who say they are getting 30+ mpg out of a GTO are more then likely full of crap. I've owned 3, and for some weird reason my 04's got worst gas mileage then my 06. I've driven at a 60 mph and gotten 24 mpg and that was an all highway stretch for about 30 miles in my one of my 04's. I typically got 13-14 mpg in the city with the '04's and I get 15-17 with the '06. Doing bolt-ons, like a CAI or cat-back do not effect mpg in any significant amount.
Yep, full of crap. I took mine from Maryland to Memphis for the F-Body Event in '05 and got over 30mpg on the TANK. Not just a 30 mile stretch. And that was with the GT2-3 cam installed.

When I swapped heads, I couldn't do it anymore. Best was 27mpg. When I swapped to a Comp 228/232 cam, best was 25mpg. Then swapped to a FTI 220/224 cam, back up to 27mpg. All having to retune lean cruise to get the best results. Without lean cruise, its 2-3mpg worse.

If you can't get the mileage, you need someone to help tune it for you. My experience is just with my '04. My parent's have an '05 and I think the best they got was 25mpg going from VA to FL. But you can't do lean cruise on a LS2, so it is what it is.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob
But you can't do lean cruise on a LS2, so it is what it is.
Why cant you do lean cruise on an LS2?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Why cant you do lean cruise on an LS2?
Lean cruise is basically illegal to do. That's why you can't do it on anything other than the '04 GTO. The code was not left out like it is in the US. They just updated the Holden programming for over here but left the code in but it wasn't used.

I wanted lean cruise because my TTA could have it enabled and it worked great on that car. So in '04, I searched on how to do it. On the HPT forum, they would lock any thread on lean cruise because it was illegal. I then went to the Ausi forums to figure out how it worked. I tried it originally back in late '04 and have been using it ever since. Once others had tried it, they saw the gains in mpg as well.

It's been said that the cats will end up being killed but I haven't any problems with mine. If you log your car, you'll see the O2's park around 30mv instead of swinging up and down. But every once in awhile the O2's will show a really rich condition and then go back. I think that's to cool the cats but not sure.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rob
Lean cruise is basically illegal to do. That's why you can't do it on anything other than the '04 GTO. The code was not left out like it is in the US. They just updated the Holden programming for over here but left the code in but it wasn't used.

I wanted lean cruise because my TTA could have it enabled and it worked great on that car. So in '04, I searched on how to do it. On the HPT forum, they would lock any thread on lean cruise because it was illegal. I then went to the Ausi forums to figure out how it worked. I tried it originally back in late '04 and have been using it ever since. Once others had tried it, they saw the gains in mpg as well.

It's been said that the cats will end up being killed but I haven't any problems with mine. If you log your car, you'll see the O2's park around 30mv instead of swinging up and down. But every once in awhile the O2's will show a really rich condition and then go back. I think that's to cool the cats but not sure.
So what exactly is lean cruise? Having a very lean A/F ratio in the lower RPMs?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

So what exactly is lean cruise? Having a very lean A/F ratio in the lower RPMs?
Yep. You run lean at low/light throttle or cruising on the highway. You set the AFR to what ever you want and can add timing to those cells. Back when I was stock, I ran almost 17:1. Holden ran even leaner in some spots but I didn't set mine that aggressive. After changing cams, I've ranged anywhere from 15.4-16.5:1. I have it come on at 45mph. There is no "feeling" that its on, just the instant mileage in the DIC goes up a few mpg's when it kicks on.

EPA doesn't like it because of emissions. It has no effect on WOT or part throttle driving. Pretty much steady state cruising, hence the name
Old 02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rob

EPA doesn't like it because of emissions. It has no effect on WOT or part throttle driving. Pretty much steady state cruising, hence the name
Is there any way to program it using HPtuners? Like if a very experianced tuner could somehow "create" it int he LS2s?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Is there any way to program it using HPtuners? Like if a very experianced tuner could somehow "create" it int he LS2s?
There is nothing in HPT that will "turn" on lean cruise with the LS2 as I don't even think its in the code anymore.

You could run in open loop and set your afr lean when in those cells for cruising using a wide band. Or they could do some form of psuedo lean cruise but that is pretty complicated and I wouldn't know how to do it.

Most tuners don't do anything other than WOT. You really have to do some research to find a really good one.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rob
There is nothing in HPT that will "turn" on lean cruise with the LS2 as I don't even think its in the code anymore.

You could run in open loop and set your afr lean when in those cells for cruising using a wide band. Or they could do some form of psuedo lean cruise but that is pretty complicated and I wouldn't know how to do it.

Most tuners don't do anything other than WOT. You really have to do some research to find a really good one.
Hmm thanks for all the info i will keep this in mind.

Quick Reply: Fuel Milage Question?