Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

LS2 GTO Rod Bolt change

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 GTO Rod Bolt change

Ok, im getting ready to bolt all kinds of **** onto my 06 6.0 m6 gto, and am curious before i begin, how time consuming is the rod bolt change? Looking at the Katech ones that do not require resizing of the rods...

Im looking to put a 150-175 shot on here, and wanted to do the rod bolts along with other precautionary stuff, but want to make sure ive got a good idea of what kinda time this is going to consume before i plan the day out.

Is this a major pain in the *******, or is it fairly simple? Any other suggestions while i am in there besides "put a stroker rotating assembly in it" would be appreciated. I was going to port the oil pump per tick's suggestions using some sanding bits and a careful eye for debris and so forth when cleaning when i am done before bolting back onto the car..

Thanks in advance for any direction. Ive searched and cant seem to come up with much. And the ls1gto forum search function is about as worthless as **** on a bull.,Hell, quite honestly the ls1gto forum in general is worthless IMO.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

11 lurkers but no one yet to enlighten?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There is not much you can do with the motor in the car. Rod bolts are not going to do much. Pull the motor and you can machine the block for new pistons/rings and rods. Polish the crank and re-assemble with new bearings and you'll have something.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did my 04 awhile back. The best way is to get an engine hoist or bar acrossed the strut towers to hold the motor up. You'll need to unbolt =
the bottom strut cups
Calipers
Rack
Tierods
Steering linkage
Swaybar links
Engine mounts
Lower radiator tube mounts (right infront of the crank pulley)
Then after everything else is loose there are 4 bolts that hold the lower k member in (front 2 are 15mm head, rear 2 are 18mm head) it works best if you make a big (H) plateform out of 2x4s to place on the jack.
You'll need qa few hours and alest one friend to help get the k member linedup and back in.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

****** bad ***, i knew finally someone would come along with better advice!

Thanks a ton dude. Looks like i need to pucker my *******, and cross my fingers. Im not ****** with that much horseshit for a little 150 hit. If it lets go, that means its time for a turbo kit. haha, at least these have updated rod bolts compared to early ls1's and what not.. we'll see... its not a 200 shot or a car thats going to have 50 bottles through it a year, so im sure ill be ok....hopefully, haha

Quick Reply: LS2 GTO Rod Bolt change