Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Finally got my GTO!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally got my GTO!

What's up guys? I finally got my car, and I am beyond stoked! I got an '06 QSM M6 GTO with now 53K. It's already got Stainless Works Longtube headers, X-pipe, Magnaflow catback exhaust and an AEM Brute Force intake. It's got the 18 inch wheels and I've already noticed that traction is an issue on hard gear changes, but I kind of like knowing I have a car that wants to spin the tires on a 3-4 upshift!

I want to deal with a couple things right away, and the first is the potential for wheelhop. I had been planning to get the poly mounts for the rear cradle and a Harrop Diff Cover, but then I also noticed that the rear of the car sits 3/8" lower than the front, which seems wrong to me. I thought it should be level or maybe a bit lower in the front, so now I'm thinking maybe I need to replace the springs back there too. I also eventually want to get a nice set of CCW wheels and put 18 inch 285s on the back and either 245s or possibly 255s on the front, so I need to consider what I do to prop the rear back up make putting bigger wheels on down the road easier.

The only short term power mod I'll be making is a good tune. It's still on the stock programming, but I have HP Tuners and an Innovate Motorsports Wideband O2 so I'll use that to maximize what I've got for now. I think I've got enough to have a 12.50 car, and that's really all I want right now. What suggestions do you guys have?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car. The GTO is one hell of a car and you actually got my favorite color.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OldskoolGP
It's got the 18 inch wheels and I've already noticed that traction is an issue on hard gear changes, but I kind of like knowing I have a car that wants to spin the tires on a 3-4 upshift!
I chirp third occasionaly, what am i missing to chirp 4th? That just sounds un real given your mods.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

To be fair, I had the traction control on on a 45 degree day on a country backroad when I did that. BUt when I went to 4th, the TC warning popped up on the dash, so the potential was there if nothing else! But I love the car. I have a few more weeks of Wisconsin winter to get through before I can drive the car on a regular basis. I need to replace a broken clockspring and cracked midpipe and figure out that rear end squat. Hopefully I can have all that fixed by the time it's nice out.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Yes, replace the back springs...oe tends to sag
Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Get the BCracing coilover kit for your suspension woes.

Or for the rear get the Gforce coilover kit.

Sounds like a good goat, nice mods to start too! Welcome to the herd
Old 03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

drag bags for wheel hop, only $100 from sponsors on here, they work wonders.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky Ya got GTO, congrats!!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear springs are known to sag. Drag bags will help with the sag and help a little on the wheel hop, but it's really just a bandaid. Poly bushings, Harrop, stiffer springs, new shocks, etc. will reduce wheel hop, but the only thing to make it go completely away is the Gforce wheel hop eliminator kit. Get that and then the Weekend Warrior kit from Kollar Racing, plus zero drop rear springs, then call it a day.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info guys! I've got a lot of little things to do to get the car just right, but I also have plenty of time to do it waiting for it to get nice outside. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions down the road. But I want ot ask immediately because I just noticed it today is, has anyone had a problem with thier drivers seat squeaking and creaking? I noticed on mine today when I was trying to figure out what the creaking noise was in my interior. Has anyone else had this before and is there a way to remedy it?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Congrats bro! Make sure you go to ls1gto, it has a lot more information.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

congrats ont he goat they are alot of fun.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Teching In

congrats on the goat sounds sick
Old 03-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nick.celis
drag bags for wheel hop, only $100 from sponsors on here, they work wonders.
Mine still hops pretty bad with the drag bags and drag radials when I drop hammer on it. I am considering going straight axle but am undecided right now, just hate to give up that cadillac ride.

Quick Reply: Finally got my GTO!