Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

o4 gto header install help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default o4 gto header install help?

My girlfriend has a 04 gto a4. I picked up some brand new pacesetters long tubes for next to nothing. I have heard that you have to pull the steering rack to put them in. If so how hard is it to pull the rack. And is it ok to run the car without cats and no rear o2s until she can get a tune like the fbodys and vettes.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

its a 6 out of 10. You are going to have to loosen up the the passenger side motor mount and completely remove the nut on the driverside and lift the engine about 5 inches.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kornerz
its a 6 out of 10. You are going to have to loosen up the the passenger side motor mount and completely remove the nut on the driverside and lift the engine about 5 inches.
WTF...he isnt replacing the oil pan he is just doing headers...
Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billymz28
My girlfriend has a 04 gto a4. I picked up some brand new pacesetters long tubes for next to nothing. I have heard that you have to pull the steering rack to put them in. If so how hard is it to pull the rack. And is it ok to run the car without cats and no rear o2s until she can get a tune like the fbodys and vettes.
yes you will have to drop the rack..the pain in the butt is the power steering lines you need a 16,19mm stubby or crows foot unless your good with a regular sized open end.Just make sure you dont lose the little black orings around the line ends...
you can run it without cats just plug the 02 holes...get a tune asap and just dont run it hard
Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you have to drop the rack. No, you don't have to lift the engine off the motor mounts. It's not super hard, just time consuming. It's a lot easier if you have access to a lift. I would also beg a buddy to help you, it's nice to have an extra pair of hands. You can run it until you get a tune. I'd leave the rear O2 sensors installed and plugged in. The worst that can happen is throw a code. It'll throw a code if you leave them off too.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by batboy
Yes, you have to drop the rack. No, you don't have to lift the engine off the motor mounts. It's not super hard, just time consuming. It's a lot easier if you have access to a lift. I would also beg a buddy to help you, it's nice to have an extra pair of hands. You can run it until you get a tune. I'd leave the rear O2 sensors installed and plugged in. The worst that can happen is throw a code. It'll throw a code if you leave them off too.
+1 The extra pair of hands is definatly worth the price of a 12 pack of beer it may cost to getyour friend to help. Also get the car as high in the air as much as possible, well supported with jack stands.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Launching!

watch the trans cooler line mine was touching had to bend it a little. and the ps lines is the only hard part other then that not to bad
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Start Here...

Quick Reply: o4 gto header install help?