Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Simple ignorant concern.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple ignorant concern.

So here it is, I put my Goat to sleep for the winter, I try to start it at least once a week back it up pull it back in several times, keep the tire pressure at 40 psi... I even put stabil in the tank just in case, so my concern is when I start her up.... I get lots of water coming from the exhaust and I mean A LOT, so is this a bad thing?

what could I do to avoid this?

If it helps I have no cats or true mufflers just headers into 3 inch downpipes going into boxes and out to side pipes.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

if you arent loosing any coolant its probably ok. get it up to operating temp to get the condensation out the rest of the engine.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Launching!

That would actually be when its drooling the most is when its up to temp.

No coolant leaking though

Last edited by RedfoxGTO; 01-10-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: :)
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Back when I had my 1970 GTO in high school, every Winter's day this would occur. I would always think of it as a mean cat lurking in my exhaust. Everyone knows the slogan "Is there a tiger under tour hood?" from the 60's campaign. The sound of the solid lifter cam pounding the ground still brings me memories.

BTW, these LSX motor like a little back pressure, so you could pick up a few more ponies if you went at least to a true dual catless setup.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Well it is a true dual... right? its a spintech is all I really know, and it looks dual to me heh
Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedfoxGTO
Well it is a true dual... right? its a spintech is all I really know, and it looks dual to me heh
Are you running just headers and no mufflers? Or Spintech Mufflers right after the headers? I'm confused I guess with your combo.

I hope the car's tuned to run like that. You'll be changing out 02's like nothing else. Running too rich isn't good either performance will suffer.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for the confusion Redfox...
I just re-read the original post. Yes the extra condensation should be just fine. When you run an open "free flowing" exhaust system you can expect it. Once the car warms up it'll be ok. Enjoy the roar!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Launching!

YAY big smile.

oh and... headers- downpipes no cat- catback-spintech w/ boxes-

and mmm... predator tune haha.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Alot of the reason for more moisture in the exhaust is because it's winter and you get more condensation inside the engine, especially if you're running it up to temp and then shutting it off for another week w/out driving it. Plus, hot exhaust and cold temps will make for condensation in the pipes. Honestly, I'd just park it, unhook the neg. battery cable (or buy a tender)and let it be until spring. I've stored many cars (including my current Silverado and GTO) this way. JMO.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Launching!

You had no problems with condensation building in the fuel lines ect? ive heard some horror stories when it comes down to going an entire season without running it.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

No, never. Start it up in the spring when the snow's gone for good, go for a quick little drive to get everyhting up to temp, stop and put some fresh gas in it if you didn't top it off in the fall, and then go home and change the oil. I usually try and fill the tank before it goes away, but it doesn't always happen depending on when the winter weather swoops in. Think about how long some of these cars sat on the lots when they were new...they weren't big sellers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Simple ignorant concern.