Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

how to change headlight bulb?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to change headlight bulb?

my drivers side bulb on my 06 burnt out the other night. when i bought the car not long ago, the PO had installed different bulbs but included the originals. upon taking it apart, it seems like the bulb itself should be a plug and play deal, but on the one installed, it looks like it was hard wired in. am i missing something here? thanks for the help
Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

pigtail should just disconnect from the bulb. I assume you took the plastic cover off the back.. Did he put HIDs in?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

yeah i unscrewed the back and pulled the bulb out. im not really sure if they are "hid's" but they are brighter than stock. they're not the traditional blue color though. more like a white/yellow/green mix.

ill get some pics tomorrow
Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

the cap thats on the back of the headlight assy. did the wires go through that
Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

here's some pics. i took the air filter out and the coolant filler to get better access-

seems like they connect directly to it

here's the original bulb that was included. should there be a connector?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

follow the wires it should lead to a little square box (ballast) mounted somewhere really close it looks to me like u have an H.I.D kit. from the factory the wires dont go through that cap. see how u have a different set of wires that plug into the factory pig tail that runs to ur ballast. if u wanna run the factory light again u can just have to take all that wiring out but i wouldnt just buy another bulb and call it good
Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, what he said^. You have hid's installed. They are much better and brighter. They usually don't blow out very often so you might want to check all the connections first before you go ordering a new set. Could also be a bad ballast. Easy way to find out if it's the ballast is to swap bulbs on each side and if the bulb still doesn't work then you know it's a bad bulb. Either way they sell replacement ballasts and/or bulbs.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

yep i had hid's you guys were exactly right. unplugged the input to the ballast box and plugged that into the stock bulb and it worked. for now, i took out all the driver's side hid wiring/boxes/stuff and ill drive it around with one hid and one stocker until i sort it out. it looks pretty ghetto but it works haha... thanks for the help guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to change headlight bulb?