Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Ignition Key Resistor Values- Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default GTO Ignition Key Resistor Values- Anyone?

Does anyone know what the range of resistor values are for the 2004 GTO ignition keys?? I have a 2004 GTO eng/trans with all stock wiring in place, including the original BCM and PIM. Before junking the donor car, I measured the resistance in the key and wrote it down.

Now with the engine hooked up and ready to go, I'm getting a start and immediately die situation. That symptom is the same with the BCM connected or not. So I'm thinking that points to the anti-theft portion of the BCM. I've wired in a resistor of the same value as the key I had, but am wondering now if I got the value wrong. So if anyone has a list of what the range of values might be, I could check mine against it.

Anyone have that info?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might want to try posting this up on LS1gto.com. Sorry I can't help but sure would like to know the answer too.

With some further reading 200K for resistance but the little nub on the GTO key is a path way for a signal from the BCM to retrive a code built into the key fob. If the code is not correct you will not be able to start the car.

Maybe this link will help

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...remote+battery

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ote+resistance

Last edited by 700rocket; 07-05-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Default GTO Key Resistor

200k is what I got when I measured my original key. Seemed odd as most earlier GM's were 200-3000 ohms.

The resistance is what the BCM is looking for. I'll check these postings you mentioned. Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have measured resistance but it wasn't a resistor. There is a programmed chip in it that has to have the nub on the key complete the circuit with the ring around the key hole. It's an anti-theft code on the chip and the symptoms you have are exactly what you get when the key turns but the computer is not getting the right code. I hope you have the original key or you'll have to buy an expensive fresh one (an old one can't be reprogrammed) and program it to the BCM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

you can get brand new keys for $30 shipped on ebay.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Default the key.............

Interesting info on the key. I was wondering about that too. But the factory shop manual labels those (mechanical) connections to the key as "resistance". The wiring diagram for the BCM labels it that way as well. I understood the circuitry inside the key was for the remote entry only. What's interesting is the PCM is not giving off a theft deterrent fault code.......

I'll have to check into this further.

Thanks

Andrew

Originally Posted by svede1212
You may have measured resistance but it wasn't a resistor. There is a programmed chip in it that has to have the nub on the key complete the circuit with the ring around the key hole. It's an anti-theft code on the chip and the symptoms you have are exactly what you get when the key turns but the computer is not getting the right code. I hope you have the original key or you'll have to buy an expensive fresh one (an old one can't be reprogrammed) and program it to the BCM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can check but believe me you'll find out that's the way it is and make sure you really check out those cheap keys. They are blanks with no electronics inside.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Default Keys and security

I think you're right. So my options are to get the original key back or reprogram the serial VATS out of the PCM....
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

yep checked it out and you are correct. I guess I got sweet deal for $35 for brand new key with blank.

Quick Reply: GTO Ignition Key Resistor Values- Anyone?