Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

picked up 04 gto today

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default picked up 04 gto today

first impression, fun to drive not faster than f-body but freeway cruising is big upgrade. interior is light years better.
some questions?
wheres fuel filter? best plugs(stock engine, 06 magnaflow). Sometimes radio stays on when car is off. Headlights looks like some ebay halo's(high beams work but low beams not). car cut off on me while doing some donuts(was able to put n neutral and restart but wierd). Airbag light on dash panel. abs light on

Ordered up brakemotive cross drilled slotted rotors and matching pads. Switched to fully synthetic oil. when brakes arrive gonna get wheel alignment. Am i missing something.

Car is salvage title but the price was right

Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's wrong with the exhaust ? looks like you have a few bugs to work out but if the price was right it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

exhaust is fine, one of the hangers broke(passenger side) as you can see in pic, but had muffler shop fix yesterday
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

04? Why does it have the 6.0 on the trunk? Was it in an accident and they replaced the rear bumper and trunk with 05-06 parts? If so, the air bags might have went off, and who ever fixed it, just replaced the bags, and not the module. If that is the case, you need to get it fixed. The airbags won't go off if you are in an accident, and if you are hurt and insurance discovers it, they won't pay you for injuries...
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

shop had to swap rear bumper and trunk due to exhaust, i think the 04 has single exit pipe, this one came with duals
Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's cool man, I had a 06 a while back and enjoyed the car while I had it there good cars. Your car looks good man congrats on the car and the good price, alot of people are scared of salvage titles but one of my TA's has one no biggie.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea, the 04's had the single exit, but just changing the bumper doesn't require changing the trunk.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly. It's weird if it's a '04 and they put a '05-'06 trunk lid on it. With that and the hood I'd say it was more likely one of those. Fast way to tell is pop the hood. If the throttle body has a cable it's an '04. There is also a plate on the front driver's side under the hood with build date. If it is a '04 I'd put money on it was wrecked and rebuilt with salvage parts.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Airbag light will come on if the front seats have been removed.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scphilli
Airbag light will come on if the front seats have been removed.
Is there a way to reset, seats were removed for better condition set
Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

The TECH II at a GM dealer will reset it as well as some of the other diagnostic tools (snap on, etc...). In the future to prevent this, do not turn on the key while the seat is disconnected
Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

So where is the fuel filter?? I'm wondering this too
Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rio95cobra
So where is the fuel filter?? I'm wondering this too
Doesn't look like it is an external filter like you would find on an Fbody.

Fuel Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure

Remove the modular fuel sender assembly from the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement .

Use a flat blade driver to assist removal of the fuel level sender assembly harness connector from underneath the modular fuel pump and sender assembly cover.

Use a flat blade driver to assist removal of the fuel pump harness connector from underneath the modular fuel pump and sender assembly cover .

Press in the tang retaining the fuel pump connector on the fuel pump and filter assembly, then remove the connector.

Remove the modular fuel pump and sender assembly cover from the reservoir.

Remove the fuel pressure regulator.

Pry open both tangs securing the fuel outlet connector to the bottom of the motor and filter assembly , then remove the fuel outlet pipe from the motor and filter assembly.

Push the motor and filter assembly down the spring shafts and remove the circlip (only one shaft is fitted with a circlip) from the end of the shaft.

Clamp the protruding end of the modular fuel pump in a soft jawed vice to support the fuel filter and pump assembly in place.

Important
Do not over tighten the vice grips as this may damage the fuel pump.

Insert a pair of medium sized flat bladed screwdrivers through each of the service holes in the fuel filter assembly.

Firmly slide the blade between the fuel pump end cap and the internal fuel filter clips that hold the fuel pump in place.

Push the screwdrivers in far enough so that the internal fuel filter clips are deflected just free of each of the fuel pump end cap retainer shoulders.

Hold the screwdrivers in place with one hand, and move the fuel filter assembly in an upward direction to separate it from the fuel pump.

Remove the fuel pump assembly.

Remove the black ground wiring bridge from the fuel filter assembly.

Installation Procedure

Install the black ground wiring bridge to the fuel filter assembly.

Push the fuel pump assembly in the fuel filter housing, until it locks in place.

Push the motor and filter assembly down the spring shafts and install the circlip (only one shaft is fitted with a circlip) to the end of the shaft.

Install the fuel outlet connector to the bottom of the motor and filter assembly.

Install the fuel pressure regulator.

Install the modular fuel pump and sender assembly cover to the reservoir.

Install the fuel pump connector on the fuel pump and filter assembly.

Install the fuel pump harness connector to the modular fuel pump and sender assembly cover.

Install the fuel level sender assembly harness connector to the modular fuel pump and sender assembly cover.

Install the modular fuel sender assembly in the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement .
Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I could email a .pdf of that with drawings if someone needs it
Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cliff notes: gas filter is in gas tank.

Quick Reply: picked up 04 gto today