Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Turn signal issue

Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issue

Here is the scoop. I bought my 05 GTO a couple weeks ago. A couple days after I bought it the left front and rear turn signal would stay on when I locked and unlocked the doors. I did some research and found out that the relay on the BCM was sticking. My girfriends son works at the dealership where I bought the car from. For $50 they put in a new BCM and gave me two new key fobs. I told them that when they remove the BCM could they check the wires and look for bare wire and if they could tape some rubber or foam around them so they don't rub on that bracket. The tech (worked there for 15 plus years) already knew what I was talking about. After he replaced it he said there was no bare wires and everything is good......until today. Every time I use the left turn signal all of my lights blink (dash, right turn signal, both head lights and both tail lights). I know these cars have issues with the BCM, but this thing is brand new. I put new tail lights in a couple days ago and the bulb and wires looked good. I understand this is a stealership but does anybody have any idea what else I need to check? I'm taking it back to them in the morning so they can look at it but i'm pretty sure people on here know waaaaay more than any dealership. Thanks for any input!!!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Teching In

Update: I got out of work and started the car and when I put the lights on both the front and rear left turn signals stayed on. They will only go off when the lights are in the off position. This is the issue I had before they replaced the BCM and a couple days later its happening again. Tomorrow im going to replace both front and rear turn signals.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a bundle of wires very close to the battery tray. When the battery is replaced, these wires can get pinched. Remove the battery and make a careful inspection of the wires to the left (passenger side) of the battery tray for chafing/pinching. If there is damage fix it and tie the wire bundles to the side; away from the battery.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did they sync the BCM correctly? Look at the wiring diagram below and you will see all the lights involved are connected to the BCM.
Attached Thumbnails Turn signal issue-1.gif  

Last edited by Jontall; 03-24-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks Jontall. I just got home from work so when I get up and its light out i'll check the wires by the battery. I think they synced the BCM correctly....... Everything worked perfect for a couple days and then it went haywire again. If it wasn't synced right the first time wouldn't it of messed up right away? Last night before work I pulled the hazard fuse and on my way back home I tried the hazard switch and they worked, but when I got home I shut the car off and tried them again and they stayed off. Anyway, i'll check the wires first thing and post what I find. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hazard fuse goes right to the BCM so maybe the new BCM is defective. Or maybe they didn't disconnect the battery before they installed the new BCM and shorted it.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Jontall, is there a chance a relay is bad? I checked the wires by the battery and they were all good. I also read something about the hazzard pluging in somewhere behind the radio and causing issues.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Teching In

I just find it weird that it is having the same issues after the BCM was replaced.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NWB300
Jontall, is there a chance a relay is bad? I checked the wires by the battery and they were all good. I also read something about the hazzard pluging in somewhere behind the radio and causing issues.
The hazard relay is inside the BCM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Jontall, i found a headlight and lighting relay under the hood that wasnt seated good. Im hoping this solves the problem. Ive only had the car two and a half weeks and it only does it when it rains.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Well, it's been almost a week and the problem hasn't came back.....but its supposed to rain tomorrow so i'm hoping resetting the relays under the hood was the trick. Wish me luck!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signal issue