Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

possible steering rack passenger boot leaking help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible steering rack passenger boot leaking help...

I have a 05 goat with around 72,000 miles and everything is stock except the radiator. Anyways underneath the goat the passenger side steering rack boot I think it might be leaking slightly ps fluid. The boot is wet/moist and the cat is right behind it and I notice that is wet too, well not totally wet because of course it burns it off, but you can tell while the car is moving along the air force pushes that fluid onto the cat.

Is there a way to really inspect and tell if the rack seal inside that boot is worn and leaking like do I simply pull back the boot is it just hose clamps or something?

Also does anyone have tips, tricks, DIY guide to do a steering rack removal and install myself in case that's what it needs? thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

I am not sure you will be able to service the rack if its leaking. As far as changing its not a big deal, getting it in and have the steering wheel straight is another thing. You will need a front end alignment after replacement.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

So this weekend I just put in a new rack and pinion and have few questions:

1: Ok this first issue it basically did it with the old oem rack that was in there so im not sure if its power steering component related or suspension component, so in a stand still position or backing up from a parking spot and going very slow and when I start turn the wheel either way it like makes a growling noise and or feel to it, like something is binding or rubbing not sure how to describe it exactly. Anyone know whats up with this? Its more pronounced or it only happens from a stand still or going slow in parking lots and such, but when your driving and moving along fast then it doesn't do that. Thanks

2: Maybe there's still air in the system even though the noticeable whine is gone, but lets say again im driving slow around parking lots going/turning left and right whatever or like going to fast food drive-thru and how some bend turn after leaving the intercom to place a order, what I notice is I don't think the old rack installation did this, but even though im the car is going straight ahead the steering wheel is little bit crooked to whatever direction it was turn when i was purposely doing that turn sequence. Its like the steering wheel is not springing back to the center on its own power. Again just like question #1 if I'm going faster it doesn't seem to have that effect. Anyone know how this one? thanks

So im pretty sure #1 always been there I just never asked the question.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 PM

Unfortunately gto racks seem to leak. the growling you hear could be the power steering pump being starved for fluid
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They make that noise with an air bubble in the system. Make sure it's full and turn the wheel lock stop to lock stop a few times.

Quick Reply: possible steering rack passenger boot leaking help...