Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Idiot Needs Your Help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot Needs Your Help....

Sometimes I find myself making poor decisions...usually impulsive, like having unprotected sex with homeless women, and punching babies in the face.

Today was no different.

I turned on my car and got the SERVICE ENGINE OIL indicator and that lovely beeping that goes along with it.

Here's where my dumb decision came in...instead of researching it first and doing a little legwork before making a rash decision...my impulsive side kicked in and figured it was low on oil, and thus probably just needed another quart or so.
So, I dropped by the local AutoZone and picked up a quart of Mobil 1 and poured that bitch in there.

Light still came on. No surprise there.

Got to work and looked on the web and found that the reason i was getting this message, was because the computer wasnt reset on my last oil change....and that, in fact...I was now running a quart HIGH.

My question is...how bad is it that I am running an extra quart of oil in this engine? Is this going to cause an oil pressure issue?
Should I drain the quart out?....Or should I just leave it be?

Please help this moron out.

(its a 6.0L LS2 GTO by the way, just to clarify)

thanks.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

You know know you have to reset the service engine oil function yourself, right? Anywho, as long as you are only one quart over you should be fine. But, if it were me, I'd just change the oil to return to the proper capacity.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1qt over isn't going to hurt anything. Alot of guys typically will run .5-1qt over because of the dumbass front sump when racing at the track.

If you're worried about it though, take the plug out and drain a qt.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Where is the oil level on the dip stick? Some LS2's eat oil, so you may not be too much over capacity. 1 qt is not a big deal, but check your dipstick. Draining some oil is beyond easy, but if it were me, just do an oil change. They are $50, easy to do, and never a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Idiot Needs Your Help....