Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

ls2 overheating??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls2 overheating??

Problem: During a car show event/cruise (street machine nationals), under heavy stop and go traffic, the water temp in my buddy's 06 gto began to rise quickly until it hit red. We let it sit for about an hour but the same thing happened again, after we took it back out under the same driving conditions. Radiator fluid levels were fine and no leaks were spotted but we'll see when I get a look at it in day light tomorrow.

Background: It has a "high lift" cam, lt's, true duals, cold air intake, throttle body, and a "street tune". I went with him, as a tag along, to look at it before he bought it. The guy who was selling it didnt know the cam specs and just said "its a high lift cam". He also said it has about as much lift as the stock 243 heads could take.

I've personally driven the car at another car event earlier this august, with the same stop and go traffic but it didn't over heat like this.
Im not an expert by any means but I will say the tune on it is no good. Im not sure if the tune was done by a 6 year old or with a diablosport but its garbage either way. When its started it sounds like its tripping over itself, cam surge is awful, it smells lean, and a little bit of white smoke comes from the exhaust.

Why is it over heating!?!?!?!

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First I'd try to bleed any air out by cracking the front steam ports on the heads loose with the engine just slightly warm, them next if that doesn't do it T stat, and after that look at the water pump.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Default Tampa tuning

Originally Posted by mark21742
First I'd try to bleed any air out by cracking the front steam ports on the heads loose with the engine just slightly warm, them next if that doesn't do it T stat, and after that look at the water pump.
I agree. Check the easy stuff first. Check your thermostat for replacement
Then head gaskets
Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

I had a similar problem on mine years ago, sometimes it would do it and other times it wouldn't. Turned out that the coolant was low and there was air pockets in the system...topped off the rad, (take the cover off and check the level at the cap, don't go by the dipstick) and ran the car at idle up to temp to "burp" the system. No problems since.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Teching In

It did turn out to be something super simple. We took the radiator cover off, "burped" the system, and filled it with some more coolant. Let it idle for about 20 minutes with out any problems. Thanks a lot for the help guys.!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Just fixed one with the same problem. Turned out the radiator cap was junk and causing the air pockets.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkers
Just fixed one with the same problem. Turned out the radiator cap was junk and causing the air pockets.
Forgot about it.....this just happened to my mother's Olds Alero...cap was junk and as doon as it would get warm it would start pumping out all the coolant instead of letting it build pressure
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

when i bought my WS6 the first week i had it it kept overheating, guy before me dumped a ton of radiator stop leak in it and was semi low on coolant, i flushed the rad and engine with a hose at home filled it up while engine was running letting it bleed itself, revved a few times and topped it off and its been right below 210 ever since

Quick Reply: ls2 overheating??