Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

how are high mileage gto's holding up.what do I look for

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how are high mileage gto's holding up.what do I look for

I am considering a 2005 or newer gto what common problems do they have .there are quite a few up for sale so why...if I were to purchase one it has to be a manual. ..any specific things should I be looking for
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

i know a couple gto owners with higher mileage models. I think it really just depends on how it was taken care of. Like anything you could have a car with not that high of miles that has issues because of neglect. I think the test drive will tell you alot. Obviously id be looking at the interior really closely. the dash and the seats on some will show alot of wear. Is there a reason your looking for a high mileage one? There are quite a few with reasonable mileage and well taken care of for pretty decent prices. I picked mine up for a really good deal a year and a half ago with under 50K on it.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Suspension, suspension and suspension.

Engine/transmission should be bulletproof as long as regular maintenance was done and it was not beat on. As long as it's running smooth, not ticking/knocking/smoking and shifting smoothly those can go for a while longer. Check the rear end for whine.

Other than that, it's all about the saggy and shitty suspension bits that will definitely need attention if the previous owner(s) didn't touch those. By these I mean shocks, springs, struts, strut mounts, bushings etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM

It comes down to buget...I was looking at a cts v in the 17k range but due to credit issues and such they want 18.25 percent interest. ..on 10 k ...not going to happen...so the next best if u can call it that would be a gto...they are trading hands for much less...so if I am financing less it will fit the budget. ..suspension repair is easy...don't mind it...I was just wondering about electrical issues and interior ...have read about rear seats and bcm stuff are they common...average fuel mileage with a stick....
Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2006 has had horrible horrible horrible suspension. My RF suspension was totally shot by 30k miles. So bad, it was rubbing the wheel! First thing I had to replace. Also, my radiator cracked from the weight of the condenser. But other than a good reason to upgrade the suspension, the car has been GREAT!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

If you are serious about looking at one, your best bet would be to make a quick profile over on ls1gto.com and check out the knowledge base and all the stickied threads. There isn't much in the trans and engine to worry about. Suspension is at least as bed as everyone makes it out to be. Some are worse than others. I finally got around to doing shocks/springs/all bushings on the front around 50k miles and it was all squished and useless. The top of the back seats can rip pretty easy. Water can get into the interior from the rear wheel well in some cars (heard it's an easy fix). Stickied here is the ignition issue. The BCM thing is true, again the fix is on ls1gto. Back to the subject of suspension, the front radius rod bushing ($250ish) will be needed to correct an issue where the inside of the front tires wears excessively from braking. When slowing down on the stock bushings the front tires go like this \_/ instead of staying straight |_| (looking down on the car from above, front is top). There are videos of this on youtube and you don't have to go fast for it to happen (5mph is enough).

So that's just a quick rundown, all easily fixable, suspension is the biggest problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ras954
I am considering a 2005 or newer gto what common problems do they have .there are quite a few up for sale so why...if I were to purchase one it has to be a manual. ..any specific things should I be looking for
This should help.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473025

Quick Reply: how are high mileage gto's holding up.what do I look for