Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What fluid are YOU running in your M6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What fluid are YOU running in your M6?

Keep looking on yahoo and only find "how much fluid" to put in the trans...
Recently swapped my clutch for an ls7 pressure plate n clutch disc with a fidanza l/w flywheel, well being a first timer messing with a manual trans, or a transmission period, I drained the fluid... I had just put royal purple synchromax MANUAL trans fluid like 3 months prior to this, although I know it specifically says on the trans DEXRON III ATF, well car ran great way smoother shifts and I didn't have to ram the shifter into 2nd... Well being as how I drained it I decided to put royal purple ATF.... I'm back at having to force into 2nd and just rough shifts here and there... The clutch is good feels great already broken in and have had no problems with that
I keep hearing manual trans fluid is ok and also that it isn't so I'm pretty lost...

What are you guys running and how has it held up? What do you guys recommend? So far I hear amsoil is good but ATF or mtf?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Do NOT put Dex VI in it! Go to any decent parts store and by AFT labeled as Dex III/Mercon H. Get a quality brand like Valvoline. If you have a GM dealership nearby, go get their renamed Dex III which they now call manual transmission fluid, the part number escapes me at the moment but I have it at home and can post it up later. Their computers and books will try to reference you to Dex VI but it says right on the Dex VI bottles that it is NOT appropriate for manual transmissions (and it isn't).
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rich-L79
Do NOT put Dex VI in it! Go to any decent parts store and by AFT labeled as Dex III/Mercon H. Get a quality brand like Valvoline. If you have a GM dealership nearby, go get their renamed Dex III which they now call manual transmission fluid, the part number escapes me at the moment but I have it at home and can post it up later. Their computers and books will try to reference you to Dex VI but it says right on the Dex VI bottles that it is NOT appropriate for manual transmissions (and it isn't).
Thank you! Appreciate the info, I want to put a good brand dexIII and RP isn't DEXIII but I figured if the manual trans fluid worked great the ATF would've too but ok I'll look into some good dexIII this weekend
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The proper GM fluid is part #88861800.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Dammit I bought the valvoline before I saw the gm P/N
Says on the bottle recommended for dexron II III and VI
did I get the wrong stuff? Doesnt say anything about manual trans or what nlt to use it on.
Really don't want to get dealer prices if I don't have to but if valvoline doesn't have anything compatible ill just head to the dealer
Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Im running Redline oil in mine..over time Royal Purple can make the carbon blocker rings swell and crack(from what I was told)
Dex VI supposedly meets and exceeds Dex III but who knows anymore
Old 07-20-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by weldermike27408
Dex VI supposedly meets and exceeds Dex III but who knows anymore
The bottles of Dex VI GM sells say right on the bottle that they are NOT to be used in manual transmissions.

Anything that says it is Dex III, IV and VI compatible should NOT be used in a manual transmission (it is basically Dex VI).

The Dex III/Mercon fluid made by Valvoline is okay. The Valvoline bottles I have say "DEX/MERC" in big letters with "For vehicles requiring Dexron III/MERCON" below it in smaller letters on the front label.

All Dex is technically automatic transmission fluid and for automatic transmission applications DEX VI can replace DEX III but the same is NOT true for manual transmission applications. DO NOT IGNORE THIS DISTINCTION!

Last edited by Rich-L79; 07-20-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rockland Standard gear makes a fluid I believe called synchro mesh.

I would call them they specialize in the t56 stock and highly modified raced out ones.

I'll be using it in my tranzilla t56
Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Pennzoil makes a Synchromesh equivalent that's readily available and a lot cheaper than at the dealer. If you have a lot of noise you can also use the Mopar NV4500 manual transmission fluid. Chrysler spec'ed that for the Vipers that had neutral rattle and GM used to carry it also as Castrol Syntorq but I haven't ever found it at a GM dealer. I've run both in a Tremec TKO which uses the same fluid spec as the T56 (only broke it in with Dexron III) and either will run quieter than ATF per Jim from Hurst Drivelines.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Launching!

The bottles of Dex VI GM sells say right on the bottle that they are NOT to be used in manual transmissions.

Anything that says it is Dex III, IV and VI compatible should NOT be used in a manual transmission (it is basically Dex VI).

The Dex III/Mercon fluid made by Valvoline is okay. The Valvoline bottles I have say "DEX/MERC" in big letters with "For vehicles requiring Dexron II/MERCON" below it in smaller letters on the front label.

All Dex is technically automatic transmission fluid and for automatic transmission applications DEX VI can replace DEX III but the same is NOT true for manual transmission applications. DO NOT IGNORE THIS DISTINCTION!
Roger, I did see the dex/merc valvoline but got the one that said dex III on the back, ill swap em out for the dex/merc thanks guys really appreciate the info hopefully it helps others aswell cause this ATF in a manual is a headache
Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

I've got 60K just using GM standard fluid. Just swapped in the GM fluid mentioned above and no worries. I've seen too many cases of the ATF or synthetics causing problems so I didn't want to run the risk.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dexron lll
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Castrol dex/merc
Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Teching In

mobil 1
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Teching In

This ^^^^ Any GM dealer will have it.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 420gto
I've got 60K just using GM standard fluid. Just swapped in the GM fluid mentioned above and no worries. I've seen too many cases of the ATF or synthetics causing problems so I didn't want to run the risk.
The GM fluid IS ATF. It is Dex III, they just don't use the name Dextron III anymore.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil ATF for the last 125,000 miles.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
Amsoil ATF for the last 125,000 miles.
Amsoil FTW
Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Amsoil FTW
I also run Amsoil Z-Rod 10-30 in my GTO, ASL 5-30 in my Silverado, and use Amsoil filters.

For anyone that uses even a moderate amount of lubricants, check out Amsoil's Preferred Customer program. It will save you $$$ in the long run.

Also nice to oder on line, and have it show up at my door two days later. Don't even have to stop off at the parts store.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
I also run Amsoil Z-Rod 10-30 in my GTO, ASL 5-30 in my Silverado, and use Amsoil filters.

For anyone that uses even a moderate amount of lubricants, check out Amsoil's Preferred Customer program. It will save you $$$ in the long run.

Also nice to oder on line, and have it show up at my door two days later. Don't even have to stop off at the parts store.
I only ran amsoil in my Vette. Never had an issue at all. The only true synthetic oil. The only other lubricant I went with was CASE tranny fluid for my tranny when I went to the race track because of its high temp point for airiation. But for daily use and pound and grind your engine and tranny goes through amsoil is the only one. My GTO will only see amsoil to include my expedition.

Quick Reply: What fluid are YOU running in your M6?