Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Backfiring....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfiring....

Ok so i got a tune done after I installed my cam. My car was just cam only 7.4 pushrods, .650 dual springs, titanium ret etc, msd wires, tr6plugs, cai, catless mids, and a catback. Now I installed kooks lt's with 3in catless mids and my corsa catback. Now the car is backfiring at idle sometimes and kinda backfires on the go sometimes. under throttle it acts like it wants to go and sometimes gets sluggish. Is this because of my longtube install and not retuning it. Plugs, wires, coils??? Help? Also I have brand new 02's. Under wot it sometimes backfires once then chuggs and then goes. Sometimes it's fine. It backfires at idle less now that I closed the leak from mids to cats...I do notice that sometimes to fire it up i have feather the throttle after it starts, then it will idle fine. Seemed like idle air problem there. I also noticed it seems like it smells really rich atm...
Old 03-09-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing LTs and different exhaust would def need a retune right away. Not sure itd cause what youre describing. Sounds like maybe its lean/rich (AFR out of whack, pulling fuel, dumping fuel, reading some spark knock and pulling timing etc.) My truck was having sluggish issues when going WOT from a stop when we were tuning for my 6.0 swap. Some times it would rip straight to redline and pull like a beast other times it would bog down and feel very weak and slowly start pulling. It was reading a lot of spark knock and pulling timing bad. We found no reason for the knock. then I found I had water in the knock sensor holes, a day or so passed and it stopped. Guess it dried up.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
Installing LTs and different exhaust would def need a retune right away. Not sure itd cause what youre describing. Sounds like maybe its lean/rich (AFR out of whack, pulling fuel, dumping fuel, reading some spark knock and pulling timing etc.) My truck was having sluggish issues when going WOT from a stop when we were tuning for my 6.0 swap. Some times it would rip straight to redline and pull like a beast other times it would bog down and feel very weak and slowly start pulling. It was reading a lot of spark knock and pulling timing bad. We found no reason for the knock. then I found I had water in the knock sensor holes, a day or so passed and it stopped. Guess it dried up.
Ya, seems to be since I added longtubes it started. I was wondering if it could have been a bad afr because of the rich smell.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats my guess. When the AFR gets even slightly changed the computer will do silly things to try to correct it, pull timing, fuel etc. Make it SLOW AS *****.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

If you had it tuned for a cam only and now you are running LTs without the tune being adjusted, that is your problem right there.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the O2 sensors and connectors and get it tuned again, if one of the sensors is bad it will cause it to go rich. It may also be reading false knock with the new headers and cause it to pull timing.

You can pull any codes by holding the mode and set buttons while turning the key to on without starting the motor also. "Secret Menu" comes up and just cycle thru with the up/down buttons.

Quick Reply: Backfiring....