Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Voltage drop when i stop abruptly

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets say i am cruising/or racing and then i suddenly hit the brakes to come to a complete stop... at that point, the voltage will drop to 12 volts from a steady 14. What gives?

Or when i first start the car and i put it on D or R and i am idleing out of a parking space...the voltage will hover around 12 volts, until i give it a little gas and start driving then it will go up to 14 volts.
Another thing i notice is when i give it gas, the AC vent fan will blow harder in accordance with the rpm...not the higher the rpm the faster the fan blow but rather its slow till i hit the gas and then it starts blowing normally.

Any idea what is going on?

Last edited by Freefallin; 04-23-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Battery may be a little weak requiring that the alternator spin faster to provide more power or the alternator itself may be going bad. You can stop by your local Autozone, O'Rielly's or other large chain autoparts store and they can hook up their tester for free and let you know if either of those are the problem.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Buzzmanb12
Battery may be a little weak requiring that the alternator spin faster to provide more power or the alternator itself may be going bad. You can stop by your local Autozone, O'Rielly's or other large chain autoparts store and they can hook up their tester for free and let you know if either of those are the problem.
Unfortunately my friend, there is no Autozone nor O'Rielly's around here.

A little update: Earlier I started the car after it'd been sitting for about an hour. Voltage was at 14 until I got to a light about 3 mins later. It dropped to 12v sitting at the light. Shifted to P and the voltage stayed the same. Light turns green, put it in gear, car rolls for a few inches and then stalled out! Mind you, battery is new...changed it just yesterday.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the wiring bulkhead on the passenger inner fender.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
Check the wiring bulkhead on the passenger inner fender.
Changed the fender recently and don't remember seeing any wires there except the antenna. Where exactly and what are they for?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

I think he meant up under the passenger footwell, behind the glovebox and kick panel cover. There are a bunch of wire bundles that need to be inspected because they rub on some of the metal brackets. Do a search for "BCM wiring" for more info.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Check this link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...ights-etc.html

Quick Reply: Voltage drop when i stop abruptly