Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

06 goat front strut help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 goat front strut help

k guys i started to get this creeking sound from the passengers wheel on every single bump and when going down thre road....soo i bought a new passenger strut and while takeing it apart i noticed that the strut bolt in the engine bay was not very tight and that the black round rubber mount can twist and as it twisting it makes a creeking noise. So i took the sturt nut off and too off the round rubber mount and there is a another strut nut and smaller washer underneath there. That was loose as a goose. .i was wonder if that had a certain torque number on that bolt bc i could spin that washer back and forth and it makes the creeking noise so i think thats where the noise is coming from. .but my question is , is there a certain torque spec for those strut bolts..

Thanks guy, GTOdave
Old 06-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Can you show pictures?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTOs are well know to have strut rub and suspension issues. Google "GTO strut rub" I have an 04 and have been slowly buying parts to redo the suspension.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under load the strut bearing should be what's turning. That's usually replaced with the strut mount. If it has stock ones they are shot. You bought only one strut? The stock ones are pretty crappy to start with.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Yeah just bought the passager one. The rubber boot around it was torn so i figured water or.something gotten in there and i got a good deal on the strut from the gm dealer..like 20 bucks ha did some side work for him.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Teching In

that nut under the top nut/large washer combo actually holds the mount together. if you're planning on taking the mount out to replace it, make sure that it's on there. also, the strut bearing is under the mount, and it's a loose bearing setup that WILL fall apart if you're not careful.

Quick Reply: 06 goat front strut help