Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Recommended maintenance and common known problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended maintenance and common known problems

So I bought my 05 GTO 6.0L 6-speed with 89k on it and it now has 94k and my oil change service indicator just came up. Being that my car is used, I have figured out a lot of maintenance that I am going to have to do in order for me to enjoy my car, but this is just from my own diagnosis... Can anyone help me out with some common problems that occur in general with my vehicle as well as common problems that I should be expecting as well as manufacturer service recommendations. I just want to get this car as freshened up as I can before I start modifying... Anything will help out!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Check all fluids (power steering, clutch, coolant, oil, diff). Often time the diff is overlooked, change the diff fluid to Torco 80-140 with the Torco type f friction modifier. Steering lines and rack tend to leak, take a good look and watch for spots on your garage floor. Radiators tend to crack with mileage and the factory water pump can be on borrowed time after 50k. Napa makes a great replacement water pump. Check your suspension parts, especially bushings. Do a search and you will find lots of info on what to look for suspension wise. A catch can is a great investment as oil tends to collect in the intake on these engines over time. Wouldn't hurt to pop the valve covers and make sure your upper valvetrain has no cracks or obvious problems. Listen for ticking noises indicating lifter issues. That is a brief summary of stuff to look for. These are actually very reliable engines and when treated right, even as modded, will last you well into 6 figure mile land.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SJFGTO
Check all fluids (power steering, clutch, coolant, oil, diff). Often time the diff is overlooked, change the diff fluid to Torco 80-140 with the Torco type f friction modifier. Steering lines and rack tend to leak, take a good look and watch for spots on your garage floor. Radiators tend to crack with mileage and the factory water pump can be on borrowed time after 50k. Napa makes a great replacement water pump. Check your suspension parts, especially bushings. Do a search and you will find lots of info on what to look for suspension wise. A catch can is a great investment as oil tends to collect in the intake on these engines over time. Wouldn't hurt to pop the valve covers and make sure your upper valvetrain has no cracks or obvious problems. Listen for ticking noises indicating lifter issues. That is a brief summary of stuff to look for. These are actually very reliable engines and when treated right, even as modded, will last you well into 6 figure mile land.

I planned on doing GM synchro-mesh tranny fluid flush, as well as the diff flush here before winter (thanks for the fluid recommendations as I didn't know where to start with diff fluid) . I already want to replace the tie rods, my shocks are on there last leg, the passenger front shock area has creaks galore, assuming its a strut bearing\bushing?? A catch can definitely sounds like itll be a good thing to grab. OH! im investing in a 1 piece drive shaft as the bushing where both shafts meet is seeming like its about to crap out A lot of my LS friends tell that these engines are tanks, it runs well, but I don't know the previous owner nor do I trust the people who reconditioned the GTO ( and I work for that company) , so looks like I got a long ways to go before I start modding. but all in all thanks for your input man, ill definitely be taking notes!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

it might be time for a fuel system flush.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 10-21-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dansolow
I planned on doing GM synchro-mesh tranny fluid flush, as well as the diff flush here before winter (thanks for the fluid recommendations as I didn't know where to start with diff fluid) . I already want to replace the tie rods, my shocks are on there last leg, the passenger front shock area has creaks galore, assuming its a strut bearing\bushing?? A catch can definitely sounds like itll be a good thing to grab. OH! im investing in a 1 piece drive shaft as the bushing where both shafts meet is seeming like its about to crap out A lot of my LS friends tell that these engines are tanks, it runs well, but I don't know the previous owner nor do I trust the people who reconditioned the GTO ( and I work for that company) , so looks like I got a long ways to go before I start modding. but all in all thanks for your input man, ill definitely be taking notes!
Do NOT put syncromesh in the T56. Use plain old ATF Dex III (not VI) and you'll be golden.

The whole suspension probably needs to be replaced. Use poly where you can, but understand that it is much stiffer and the effect is cumulative so if you swap everything over to poly bushings, the car may not be as comfortable or quiet as it once was.

You can now replace the carrier bearing for the driveshaft, although I haven't done it personally.

Quick Reply: Recommended maintenance and common known problems